DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

gps question cellular vs. non-cellular

rockwind1

Reactions
i have a non-cellular ipad pro and I was going to use it to fly temporarily. as I understand it, since it is non-cellular, it's doesn't have gps. however, this should only affect the return-to-home if I move my location while flying, as in I did that autotracking thing or just walked a ways.

where-as if I had the cellular model, and I moved away my original take off point while I was flying, the return to home would follow me

I am a new (expensive) drone pilot. I am going to get some type of apple tablet with cellular soon, but in the meantime, as long as i don't move from the take off point, the return to home should work because the mavic itself uses it's gps to set the rth location?, all things acting as they should, correct? thanks for any input.

I mean, this is pretty much the onlly advantage to having the cellular unit, correct?

You're basically correct in what you've said, except that with the cellular model the return to home doesn't automatically follow you as you move...you have to reset the home point on the app to your new location.

I am also a new pilot I have the iPad air too I haven't had any issues as long as I stay at the original home. From take off. Other than that of course you're not going to have the map load on your screen in the corner but you should be fine the video feed is great and I've had no issues just giving you my experience as a new pilot also I have flown with my iPad air for just about all my flights unless I'm in an area that I don't know just to be on the safe side

Reactions: timsco60
I am also a new pilot I have the iPad air too I haven't had any issues as long as I stay at the original home. From take off. Other than that of course you're not going to have the map load on your screen in the corner but you should be fine the video feed is great and I've had no issues just giving you my experience as a new pilot also I have flown with my iPad air for just about all my flights unless I'm in an area that I don't know just to be on the safe side
You can pre-load the maps using your home wifi before you go to a new area.....just enable Cache Maps in the Background in the GO app.

You're basically correct in what you've said, except that with the cellular model the return to home doesn't automatically follow you as you move...you have to reset the home point on the app to your new location.

#2rockydog, Yesterday at 11:40 PM

hey rockydog, so if you are doing active track while riding something, like a mountain bike or atv, and the drone is following you but you don't have a free hand to reset the home point, can you set it to auto reset as you travel, because otherwise, I am seeing a big reduction in the advantage of cellular a unit

can you set it to auto reset as you travel
No. DJI GO only allows the home point to be manually reset.

Litchi has a dynamic home point feature. So, that might be an option if Litchi meets your needs.

ok, thanks. that is distressing news.

i wonder if there has been some fly aways due to that, it seems that as soon as you do active track, at least with bike riding or atv riding or horses that you are at risk of a fly away unless you remember to reset home point.

i guess i pictured setting the mavic in active tracking and then blissfully riding away into the sunset while it followed me like a pet dog. not as easy as that i guess.

ok, thanks. that is distressing news.

i wonder if there has been some fly aways due to that, it seems that as soon as you do active track, at least with bike riding or atv riding or horses that you are at risk of a fly away unless you remember to reset home point.

i guess i pictured setting the mavic in active tracking and then blissfully riding away into the sunset while it followed me like a pet dog. not as easy as that i guess.
You don't need to be able to reset the home point to do your pet dog run...just have it in active track following you, and when you get to stop, just land it manually where you are.

well, right, I understand that. that is assuming everything goes well. I am more thinking of the "what if" it does it's smart rth or emergency rth. then it is basically going to fly away to the old the home point, possibly a mile away. or my alzheimers kicks in and I hit rth accidently and it flys away and now the rth height is set too low for the current surroundings. I am just worried about having to scramble to fix a problem. but I know now what to expect so this is just turning into me complaining which was not my intent. thanks for the tips!

back story, I ran into a guy last year out in the desert who had some version of a phantom possibly following him in his side by side atv and i guess i just pictured soemthing like that. now I understand the programing, maybe i will look into litchi!

I am more thinking of the "what if" it does it's smart rth or emergency rth.
You can disable Smart Return-to-Home here:

DJI-GO-Smart-Return-to-Home-DJIGO4.jpg

And the Mavic can be set to "Hover" in place if the remote controller disconnects here:

DJI-GO-Smart-Return-to-Home-DJIGO4.jpg DJI-GO-RC-Signal-Lost.jpg

With those two settings in place, you won't have to worry about your Mavic returning to the home point when it's not nearby.

Reactions: Mavic Gang AZ
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair