DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS question

Oman

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello here's my question I have a Air2S I'm using a Samsung S7 cell phone with the controller Now Im going to use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A.. It does not have GPS, Do I need it to fly or get flight authorizations? If I posted in the wrong place please move for me.
Thank you Oman

I suspect the answer will be, the phone's GPS capabilites are irrelvant to the drone, the drone has its own GPS reciever.
The only use the App has for the 'phone's' GPS is to determine the location of the controller. The only time I have 'used' the phone's GPS in this sense is when I and the controller moved and I wished the drone to return, via RTH, to me and not the original homepoint. In that event I reset the homepoint to the controller's location when I reached the desired location.
NOTE this is not an automatic process and it WILL NOT update the homepoint location automatically, each change in the homepoint location must be done manually.
The phone's GPS might allow the App to plot the controller's location in the App's map if you had the map of the flying area downloaded or a live internet connection but I haven't used that myself

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect the answer will be, the phone's GPS capabilites are irrelvant to the drone, the drone has its own GPS reciever.
The only use the App has for the 'phone's' GPS is to determine the location of the controller.The only timeI have 'used' the phone's GPS in this sense is when I and the controller moved and I wished the drone to return, via RTH, to me and not the original homepoint. In that event I reset the homepoint to the controller's location as and when I reached the desired location.
NOTE this is not an automatic process and it WILL NOT update the homepoint location automatically, each change in the homepoint location must be done manually.
The phone's GPS might allow the App to plot the controller's location in the App's map if you had the map of the flying area downloaded or a live internet connection but I haven't used that myself
Thanks for your response. I am a little slow, I don't really get it. The phone has a GPS in it, but doesn't use it, all the GPS positioning is done by the AC.
Thanks oman

Sort of correct.
To navigate etc. the drone uses its own GPS, I assume that applies to everything connected with the drone's position.

The App uses the phone's GPS solely to determine the position of the controller.

Sort of correct.
To navigate etc. the drone uses its own GPS, I assume that applies to everything connected with the drone's position.

The App uses the phone's GPS solely to determine the position of the controller.
Without phone how do you get the controller location, RTH, etc. What do others do that don't have phones ?
Thank you Oman

Last edited:
Without phone how do you get the controller location, RTH, etc.
Thank you Oman
The drone records it's homepoint as soon as it gets good GPS location data.
The homepoint is where it would return to in RTH.
It's quite rare that you would need controller location for anything.
For most flying, the homepoint is usually very close to where the controller is.

The drone records it's homepoint as soon as it gets good GPS location data.
The homepoint is where it would return to in RTH.
It's quite rare that you would need controller location for anything.
For most flying, the homepoint is usually very close to where the controller is.
Thanks, If I want to relocate my RTH to another site, or use Geo unlock or laanc how do I do that with the phones GPS.
PS I talked to tech support and, are you ready for this, they said the Controller has one in it.
Thanks Doug aka oman

Thanks, If I want to relocate my RTH to another site, or use Geo unlock or laanc how do I do that with the phones GPS.
PS I talked to tech support and, are you ready for this, they said the Controller has one in it.
Thanks Doug aka oman
Unfortunately DJI's "help" people are not a reliable source of accurate information.
In the DJI Fly app, you can also reset the homepoint using the map or you can reset to the current location of the drone.
But it's quite rare that you would need to reset the home point anyway.

I've never needed to use geo-unlock or LAANC so can't help you there.

Without phone how do you get the controller location, RTH, etc. What do others do that don't have phones ?
Thank you Oman
The drone sets the intial homepoint to the place where it first gets a good enough satellite lock to do so. Normally this is at or near the take off point and near the controller. if that is the case then the controller's position and the homepoint can be considered one and the same.

But say you move some distance away from the launch point or original home point and want to reset the homepoint to your new position. Without a phone etc. that has GPS then, as far as I know you can not reset the home point to the "controller's position" ...........but ............ if you have a fuctioning map you can mark a point on that map as the new home point, I have done this with a Mavic Mini but I would say it was only accurate to within 30ft or so.
This seems like quite a good video

Reactions: CvCow
Unfortunately DJI's "help" people are not a reliable source of accurate information.
In the DJI Fly app, you can also reset the homepoint using the map or you can reset to the current location of the drone.
But it's quite rare that you would need to reset the home point anyway.

I've never needed to use geo-unlock or LAANC so can't help you there.
Me again, I was also was told I could only use a iPad on the controller . Also what do you use to plan your flight?
Thank you for all your help
Doug aka oman
I am new I have yet to fly my Air2S

Last edited:
Me again, I was also was told I could only use a iPad on the controller .
You can use a phone or a tablet, Apple or Android as long as it has enough RAM and a fast enough processor.
It also has to be a 64 bit device if your drone uses DJI Fly.
Also what do you use to plan your flight?
Sorry ... I'm not sure what you are asking about with that question.
I might be able to help if you can give a little more information.

You can use a phone or a tablet, Apple or Android as long as it has enough RAM and a fast enough processor.
It also has to be a 64 bit device if your drone uses DJI Fly.

Sorry ... I'm not sure what you are asking about with that question.
I might be able to help if you can give a little more information.?
Thanks for your help. I can't seem get it. I want to get rid of the small screen on Samsung cell phone witch has GPS to a Samsung 8" tablet that only has WIFI and Bluetooth and no GPS all I what to know is If it will work without the GPS. At this point I give up. This has become more frustrating than it is worth.

Doug

Thanks for your help. I can't seem get it. I want to get rid of the small screen on Samsung cell phone witch has GPS to a Samsung 8" tablet that only has WIFI and Bluetooth and no GPS all I what to know is If it will work without the GPS. At this point I give up. This has become more frustrating than it is worth.
The drone has a GPS receiver and that's what it uses for all flight functions.
Having GPS (or not) in the tablet is irrelevant.
The drone will work just fine with a tablet that doesn't have GPS.

There is almost no use for GPS in the tablet when you are flying.

Doug
Doug, the GPS needed is in the controller not the phone/tablet. I think you're mixing that up with a compass built into the phone/tablet that is needed if you want your attitude screen ro work for seeing your orientation to the drone (if you're facing it or not).

Doug, the GPS needed is in the controller not the phone/tablet. I think you're mixing that up with a compass built into the phone/tablet that is needed if you want your attitude screen ro work for seeing your orientation to the drone (if you're facing it or not).
You are confused and confusing him.
There is no need for a GPS in the controller or the phone or tablet.
None at all.
The only GPS that matters is the one in the drone.

You are confused.
There is no need for a GPS in the controller or the phone or tablet.
None at all.
The only GPS that matters is the one in the drone.
I think you mis-read my post. I was saying he didn't need it and that I think he's confusing it with the compass on the phone/tablet.
The gps in the controller sets your location/spot where you are, the compass (in the phone/tablet) shows orientation to the drone.

I think you mis-read my post. I was saying he didn't need it and that I think he's confusing it with the compass on the phone/tablet.
No misreading at all on my part.
You said: the GPS needed is in the controller.
And that's just wrong.
There is no GPS needed in the controller.
And there's no GPS receiver in any DJI controller, except the Smart Controller.

Reactions: Tufargon
Ok, I was sure there was a GPS module in the controller, but the thing is the phone/tablet doesn't need one and that's what I said. I'm positive he's mixing up GPS with compass.

Ok, I was sure there was a GPS module in the controller, but the thing is the phone/tablet doesn't need one and that's what I said. I'm positive he's mixing up GPS with compass.
Let me try this, it makes no difference if the phone has a GPS or doesn't. same goes for the tablet the system will operate the same with or without.I just don't understand I wish I never bought the tablet.and wish I never got involved with this. I have got so many answers I am totally confused .
Thank you very much. Doug

Let me try this, it makes no difference if the phone has a GPS or doesn't. same goes for the tablet the system will operate the same with or without.I just don't understand I wish I never bought the tablet.and wish I never got involved with this. I have got so many answers I am totally confused .
Thank you very much. Doug

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu