DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS Signal Strength Problem

NZmxer

Reactions
Hi

First post here. Myself and my father recently purchased a mavic air each. My drone seems to be mint however my father's drones GPS is dropping in and out constantly.

We can be flying in the same area and and I have a steady 15-16 sats locked and he has 6-12 dropping in and out of vision flying.

All apps and equipment is at the latest software/firmware version.

Any suggestions or does he just have a dud?

Appreciate any response

Cheers

It might pay to refresh the firmware in your Dad's drone using DJI Assistant 2 on the pc

Reactions: NZmxer
Thanks for your input guys.

I think you are right Sar. No change from the firmware flash through PC.

Although now when looking at IMU there is also a "data error" on ACC1. No matter what we do it wont clear.

He brought his through the DJI app. So I assume he brought it directly from DJI? Whats the best process to lodge a warranty claim?

Thanks again.

have a read here, seems a simple tap can cure a imu data error
A tap may solve the IMU accelerometer error but it won't fix the GPS issue. If this is the same AC that is showing GPS signal acquisition issues + an accelerometer data error; and if it is still in warranty and you can return it, I would suggest you exchange it. You shouldn't be having these many issues with a new AC - assuming it has not suffered a crash or a hard landing.

Agree with Doppler since you bought it from DJI arrange a to get a replacement

You can send their support an email

And/ or reach out to Ferntech, they are part of DJI Global and are the authorised service center for NZ, this may give you a faster turn around

About Us — DJI Authorised Retail Store

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your help. Tried whacking it few times, no change however I do believe that is most likely the fix. But as Doppler mentions the GPS will still be an issue.

I will go through DJI support and keep the thread updated with how we go.

What's the general consensus with DJI support?

I'm Glad we have my drone that is fault free to compare against. I am extremely impressed with the accuracy and stability of the MA. Beautiful drone to fly.

Thanks everyone for your help. Tried whacking it few times, no change however I do believe that is most likely the fix. But as Doppler mentions the GPS will still be an issue.

I will go through DJI support and keep the thread updated with how we go.

What's the general consensus with DJI support?

I'm Glad we have my drone that is fault free to compare against. I am extremely impressed with the accuracy and stability of the MA. Beautiful drone to fly.

If you can go through a local company it will be easier, DJI support is flakey at best as you'll be dealing with the China directly

I hate sending things to China as their mail system is so chaotic and tracking is poor

Ask to send it to the DJI Australian Service Center in Melbourne instead of China

46 Indian Dr, Keysborough VIC 3173

Last edited:
A tap may solve the IMU accelerometer error but it won't fix the GPS issue. If this is the same AC that is showing GPS signal acquisition issues + an accelerometer data error; and if it is still in warranty and you can return it, I would suggest you exchange it. You shouldn't be having these many issues with a new AC - assuming it has not suffered a crash or a hard landing.

Hi Doppler

I notice your DJI Assistant 2 has a lot more options. Mine is version 1.2.5 and only has this

1578186905910.png

I used the old version of Assistant 2 (very 1.1.2) with the debug functionality enabled. Have a read here

I used the old version of Assistant 2 (very 1.1.2) with the debug functionality enabled. Have a read here

Thanks Doppler. Its seems I dont have permission to view that page?

Tried whacking it few times, no change
You have to first know if the accelerometer is stuck on one axis; and if so which axis it is and what value it is stuck on. That determines where you tap the AC. But if you have the option to return/exchange the AC I strongly suggest you do so.

Thanks Doppler. Its seems I dont have permission to view that page?
There is a setting in your account you have to tick inorder to access the software/hardware moding sub-forum. Go to your "Account details" page, see below:
Screenshot_20200105-070013.png

Thanks again Doppler. Very interesting read that, cool to see what tweaks you can make.

I have setup the older version in debug mode and can see the X axis stuck at 16, similar to your experience.

But as you mention, this AC needs to go back for warranty claim.

I have created a repair job. And the address is an Australian one so fingers crossed it is a smooth process.

Will update as progress is made.

Yeah, you did right by sending it for repair; thinkering with it yourself should always be a last resort. Good luck with the process!

We can be flying in the same area and and I have a steady 15-16 sats locked and he has 6-12 dropping in and out of vision flying.

I had also GPS problems on my 3 first flights with my new Mavic Air. I got up to a max of 11-12 satellites and 4 bars, but when I changed from photo to video mode the signal dropped. Even worse when I started a video recording it dropped to 7 satellites and 0 bars and changed to ATTI or OPTI mode. I returned id for warranty repair and got all my stuff back but the drone itself was exchanged with a new one. This one got a steady 5 bars and 15 - 17 satellites on the first flight. So yes, hardware faults can happen.

I had also GPS problems on my 3 first flights with my new Mavic Air. I got up to a max of 11-12 satellites and 4 bars, but when I changed from photo to video mode the signal dropped. Even worse when I started a video recording it dropped to 7 satellites and 0 bars and changed to ATTI or OPTI mode. I returned id for warranty repair and got all my stuff back but the drone itself was exchanged with a new one. This one got a steady 5 bars and 15 - 17 satellites on the first flight. So yes, hardware faults can happen.

Thanks mate, good to know.

I created a repair job on the website and a free postal ticket was sent to me. I sent the AC but it must a very slow cheap service as it still hasn't arrived one week later. I should have just purchased my own courier bag and sent it over night!

Will keep updating the progress. Still no issues with my Mavic Air! My father is rather jealous haha

Thanks mate, good to know.

I created a repair job on the website and a free postal ticket was sent to me. I sent the AC but it must a very slow cheap service as it still hasn't arrived one week later. I should have just purchased my own courier bag and sent it over night!

Will keep updating the progress. Still no issues with my Mavic Air! My father is rather jealous haha
If you were a “good son” you would let your father fly yours until you received the replacement.?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3