DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS Tracker For Flyaways - Any Interest?

skysthelimit

Reactions
I'm in the process of testing two 4G GPS Trackers that are small and light enough to mount on a Drone as 'insurance' for recovery in case of a flyaway. Before I commit to placing a bulk order for one of these (that passes all of my testing) I was wondering if there is any interest in this? I'm guessing the price will be around $75 shipped. These units are not currently available in the US (yes I'm pulling out what hair I have left dealing with the Chinese who seem to always be on holiday and slow to respond or get anything done). Hoping I can fill a need in a niche market with this.

My plan is to set up a Server in the US running Traccar which will replace the Manufacturer's Tracking Server in China. Has a Web interface as well as Mobile Apps for Android and iOS. Configuring the Tracker is done via SMS messages to the number assigned to the Tracker when you activate the SIM card.

Last edited:
As one who lost his drone for a few hours, it would seem like a good investment.

Can you provide images, weight, size, attachment, and power data?

Larger of the two is is 50x42x15mm and weighs about 28g with 500mAh battery, other is 53x29x20mm and weighs 43g with 600mAh.

I suppose I should first explain GPS Tracking in general:

Small GPS Trackers designed to track kids or pets are typically less than 2" square. They require a GSM SIM Card, operate on 4G network, and usually use AT&T or T-Mobile. There are all kinds of SIM cards for Trackers and you can get one for as little as $15/yr that gives you 1Mb/mo which doesn't seem like a lot but typically these Trackers send out minimal data (Tracker ID, Date, Time, GPS Coordinates) and you can set the polling and upload intervals to infrequent (like upload 2 positions every 10 minutes). US Mobile has a 100MB and 40 SMS messages per month plan for $5.50 which is one of the best prices I could find currently.

These come with access to a website that will give you the Tracker's position (and historical track) that is free to use. The issue here is that you must fly in an area that has cellular coverage in order for the Tracker to report to the server and for you to run the app to see the Tracker's position on a map. I believe you can also send an SMS text to the Tracker and it will reply with a Lat/Lon msg so you wouldn't need a data connection on your phone (something I'm still trying to figure out with the Chinese). With GPS coordinates you could plug them into a handheld GPS receiver and navigate to the location, or use Google Maps which comes up from the Tracker App to show your location and Tracker location to navigate to it.

If you are flying a lot and under Part 107 then it would make sense to get a higher volume data plan. If you fly maybe an hour a week then you might be able to get by with the 1Mb/mo plan. Speedtalk has a $5/mo plan that gives you any combination of calls, text, or Mb data at $.02 ea (uses T-Mobile network). I have Tracfone Family Data plan and added an extra SIM for $6/mo which is 500 calls/text/Mb Data and it rolls over monthly with auto-refill.

I also use a Tile Pro mounted on the very front on top (with room behind it for the Tracker) using 3M Dual Lock (same stuff used to mount EZ Pass Transponders) which is better than velcro. I can pick up the Tile about 250 ft away and send a signal for it to start beeping (plays a tune) to find it. Tracker position should get you close enough for the Tile to be heard, although one Tracker has a beeper you can activate when close so you wouldn't need the Tile. Everything depends on where Drone ended up, time of day, use of anti-collision lights, etc. to determine your chances of locating it after it Houdini'd on you.

Feel free to ask questions or make suggestions as I am still in the development stage of determining the best Tracker, App, and Data Plan to meet the needs of Drone Pilots.

Update: My plan is to set up a Server in the US running Traccar which will replace the Manufacturer's Tracking Server in China. Has a Web Browser interface as well as Mobile Apps for Android and iOS. Configuring the Tracker is done via SMS messages to the number assigned to the Tracker when you activate the SIM card, and I provide a text file where you can copy/paste the commands into your Messenger app.

Last edited:
<*snip*> These come with access to a website that will give you the Tracker's position (and historical track) that is free to use. The issue here is that you must fly in an area that has cellular coverage in order for the Tracker to report to the server and for you to run the app to see the Tracker's position on a map. <*snip*>
A majority of my flights are far from cell coverage, rendering the system useless. But that's just me.

Reactions: Drgnfli and Bob1956
Every day on this forum there are sad tales of a flyaway. DJI Refresh doesn't insure them. I would think your product would be a hit, a welcome addition to the host of DJI accessories.

It would be good insurance for flyaways, although there will still be times when it won't work - like if the drone ends up in the water or in an area of no cell coverage or no GPS coverage.

Last edited:
Because I too fly in areas with no cell or internet coverage, or poor GPS, I purchased the Marco Polo. A direct tracker with range of 2 miles. Guides you right to the drone. Battery lasts 3 weeks and unit weighs 12 grams. It is pricey.

I looked at the Marco Polo while researching options. Better than nothing in a no cellular area. Would be nice to know from those that did manage to find their flyaway how far it went. With a full battery a Mavic could potentially end up 10 miles away (30mph for 20 min) so out of range for the Polo. There is no perfect solution to this conundrum...

Reactions: Thomas B
I’ve been thinking of getting loc8tor, pros and cons for both this and a gps unit, but on balance it will give me piece of mind and as it comes with a couple of transmitters one of my cats can be a tester for me [emoji16]

Well skysthelimit, tbh I’m unsure if loc8tor is actually any good in a real event, and tbf I fly for fun, I loose sight of the drone all the time, but I’m kinda relaxed about it now, probably I’ll loose the drone over water knowing my luck, so it won’t need a locator anyways. I do like gadgets though so we see ...

So far I have found a lost drone 4 times using Marco Polo. The price was well worth it. Once it was my Mavic 1, once it was my friends Mavic 1. Twice it was my Mavic 2 pro. This is over a period of almost 3 years. In none of these cases would I have ever found the drone except for the Marco Polo tag on the drone and the finder in my hand. Since I nearly always fly where there is no cell phone signal, I chose Marco Polo.

So far I have found a lost drone 4 times using Marco Polo. The price was well worth it. Once it was my Mavic 1, once it was my friends Mavic 1. Twice it was my Mavic 2 pro. This is over a period of almost 3 years. In none of these cases would I have ever found the drone except for the Marco Polo tag on the drone and the finder in my hand. Since I nearly always fly where there is no cell phone signal, I chose Marco Polo.
i like marco pollo wish i had known before losing two won,t happen again and i push them to the limits

Reactions: USAirborne
I'm in the process of testing two 4G GPS Trackers that are small and light enough to mount on a Drone as 'insurance' for recovery in case of a flyaway. Before I commit to placing a bulk order for one of these (that passes all of my testing) I was wondering if there is any interest in this? I'm guessing the price will be around $75 shipped. These units are not currently available in the US (yes I'm pulling out what hair I have left dealing with the Chinese who seem to always be on holiday and slow to respond or get anything done). Hoping I can fill a need in a niche market with this.

My plan is to set up a Server in the US running Traccar which will replace the Manufacturer's Tracking Server in China. Has a Web interface as well as Mobile Apps for Android and iOS. Configuring the Tracker is done via SMS messages to the number assigned to the Tracker when you activate the SIM card.

Why do all that?
I use a Marco Polo.
Buy it and totally free.
Not dependent on phone tech or satellites.
I have used it in many countries all over the world. My work has me traveling over 300 days a year.
Including in Russia where it was flown and “lost” on purpose approx 1.5 miles away (by my friend who knew where it was).
And it was found easily. Accurate to within a meter or 2.
Always have a strong lock.
I love this system because it relies on nothing else but itself One time cost.
Biggest issue for me is the tracking not is a little ungainly...not big just not easily packable.
Some do like the mobile phone trackers and that’s fine.
I just like the independence in places there is no cell service as in many places I go.
Just an idea...
Have fun flying!

Well, like I said in another thread a Mavic with full battery could possible flyaway 5-10 miles so it makes the MP not much use in a real world 'Murphy's Law' environment. Can't expect your Drone to stay within the 2 mile limit of the MP's range. That and the price led me down the GPS Tracker road. Personally not interested in a MP but glad it works for you. Would be interesting to hear from someone who's Drone flew beyond the MP range and how it turned out.

Because I too fly in areas with no cell or internet coverage, or poor GPS, I purchased the Marco Polo. A direct tracker with range of 2 miles. Guides you right to the drone. Battery lasts 3 weeks and unit weighs 12 grams. It is pricey.
Good choice ! I also have the Marco Polo system and fly with a big peace of mind since. :cool:

Reactions: PTBperegrine
Hey folks, maybe you want to start your own thread about Marco Polo. This thread is supposed to be about thoughts/ideas, feedback, and interest in GPS Trackers and has gotten completely off-track (as in hijacked).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada