DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS tracker suggestion please

Bop

Reactions
So I know this has been talked about a lot and I have read some threads. I looked at Marco polo BUT I dont trust the range. I would rather have a tracker that shows a path traveled (on a google map) which I believe a GPS tracker will do. I live and fly if a very rural area in PA and trees are everywhere.
Considering there is cell service, Will a GPS tracker show the path (map on google) the tracker has taken even if the GPS looses signal from the tree canopy (last known location)? This should give me a very good place to start to locate it.
if anyone has a GPS tracker, how did you mount it. I see most are using velcro. does anyone make a holder ?
so If you can suggest a GPS tracker and holder I would really appreciate it.
Edit - this is for a M2Z

Last edited:
Reactions: TreeHugger
So I know this has been talked about a lot and I have read some threads. I looked at Marco polo BUT I dont trust the range. I would rather have a tracker that shows a path traveled (on a google map) which I believe a GPS tracker will do. I live and fly if a very rural area in PA and trees are everywhere.
Considering there is cell service, Will a GPS tracker show the path (map on google) the tracker has taken even if the GPS looses signal from the tree canopy (last known location)? This should give me a very good place to start to locate it.
if anyone has a GPS tracker, how did you mount it. I see most are using velcro. does anyone make a holder ?
so If you can suggest a GPS tracker and holder I would really appreciate it.

On a M2 Zoom, velcro's nicely, left side battery area.
~ 30g
AMAZON

Reactions: Bop
I've had good performance out of the Trackimo and it's world wide sim card.

1601094862711.png

1601094970577.png

Reactions: Bop and TreeHugger
NOTE
The OP is specifically asking for solutions that involve "cell coverage" as a criteria. :)

My submission stands but would like to hear more choices for cell available devices.
i.e. I have no idea what the second year's service cost will be.

t
NOTE
The OP is specifically asking for solutions that involve "cell coverage" as a criteria. :)

My submission stands but would like to hear more choices for cell available devices.
i.e. I have no idea what the second year's service cost will be.

Agreed, It appears so far trackimo and sumsungs smart tracker are the only GPS trackers being used.
@TreeHugger I don't know a nice way to ask sooo - have you had to use your Samsung? Just wondering how well it works. it is 1/2 the price of the trackimo and both have 1 year free service.

t

Agreed, It appears so far trackimo and sumsungs smart tracker are the only GPS trackers being used.
@TreeHugger I don't know a nice way to ask sooo - have you had to use your Samsung? Just wondering how well it works. it is 1/2 the price of the trackimo and both have 1 year free service.
Have not had to use it yet.
It has a mode where you can enable continuous tracking for 10 minutes at a time. Otherwise the smallest reporting time is 30 minute intervals.
The iPhone app allows you to see a history - "google maps" style.
YMMV

Have not had to use it yet.
It has a mode where you can enable continuous tracking for 10 minutes at a time. Otherwise the smallest reporting time is 30 minute intervals.
The iPhone app allows you to see a history - "google maps" style.
YMMV

Honestly, I am glad you have NOT had to use it! Thank you for the info/photos. I may end up going this route - I just researched Bestbuy and they have them in their brick and mortar.

Honestly, I am glad you have NOT had to use it! Thank you for the info/photos. I may end up going this route - I just researched Bestbuy and they have them in their brick and mortar.

The trackimo can track at 1min intervals for more accuracy in the location

Thank you all for your comments.
Ended up purchasing the samsung smart tracked and mounted like treehugger did. This was the way for me to go with my environment and cell service as I seem to have plenty. It has the ability to send its location every minute which I use during flights. Shows a path history and detailed map. 1 yr free service is included and $5 a month after that. Money well spent in my eyes. Im quite happy with it and I hope its never needed.

The advantage of the Marco Polo is the info that gives you proximity to the drone. It’s only 2 dimensions, but if your drone is hung in a tree in a forested area it will let you know which tree to look in... I.e. when to start looking up. Much better than guessing from looking at a flight path record.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
The advantage of the Marco Polo is the info that gives you proximity to the drone. It’s only 2 dimensions, but if your drone is hung in a tree in a forested area it will let you know which tree to look in... I.e. when to start looking up. Much better than guessing from looking at a flight path record.

Agreed, marco polo is better once you are close.

Thank you all for your comments.
Ended up purchasing the samsung smart tracked and mounted like treehugger did. This was the way for me to go with my environment and cell service as I seem to have plenty. It has the ability to send its location every minute which I use during flights. Shows a path history and detailed map. 1 yr free service is included and $5 a month after that. Money well spent in my eyes. Im quite happy with it and I hope its never needed.
Excellent! I too use the once-per-minute setting for flights. And thanks for posting, I wasn't aware of the cost after the first year. Are you able to determine your actual "provider" for the cell service? I have not as yet.

Excellent! I too use the once-per-minute setting for flights. And thanks for posting, I wasn't aware of the cost after the first year. Are you able to determine your actual "provider" for the cell service? I have not as yet.

From amazon - product description " One full year of AT&T service is included for the first 12 months at no additional charge. After the first 12 months, the cost is $5 per month or $50 per year. Disclosures: Coverage based on AT&T LTE-M network. No AT&T service-based smartphone is required. "
With that description its AT&T. I have Verizon cell phone service, so I dont know how that will work after the 1st 12 months. Maybe pay Samsung?????

Thanks - didn't see mention of that when I purchased. Or it was late. Or early. Or had not had coffee - :)

• Haha

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji