DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Grab and flip shut down with MM2?

PascalG

Reactions
I ve always hovered then grabbed and flipped my drones upside down instead of landing. That worked on spark, parrot Anafi etc. does it work with MM2? Nothing mentioned in manual.

Since I almost always fly from a boat it s easier than landing.

Yes - when you turn it, it instantly shuts down the motors.
I'm hopefully filming from a boat soon so have been practicing the grab and flip!

Reactions: PinpointUAVS
Count your finger tips, especially on a boat. I hope it's a calm day.

I never flip mine! Too scared in case I mess up the Gimbal! Always use a landing pad or land on my outstretched palm if calm weather.

Even though I have less than 10 hours stick-time, I never land or launch off the ground. The strobe on the belly makes outstretched palm landings a thing of the past. Easy, safe catching.

I did graze a fingertip once with a palm landing. OUCH! Lesson learned.

Why flip it? The props stop by themselves.
Normally I let it slowly descend onto my hand until the props stop - but on a boat I think I'll need to get it secure and shut down as soon as possible so flipping seems like the best option.

If you don't flip it then the drone will try to fight against your grip and you're more likely to cause damage.

And a landing pad will definitely be out of the question.

If you don't flip it then the drone will try to fight against your grip.

My Mini 2 doesn't fight back at all. It just sits there for a second or two, then shuts down. Finger catching is better than palm catching for me. Doing a palm landing I nearly dropped it once while it was shutting down.

Boats must be tricky. I've not braved that yet. A friend of mine told me of an inexperienced cameraman who used a drone from a boat for some expensive footage for a TV series. When he was done shooting, he hit "return to home".

You can guess the rest. The loss of the drone was nothing compared to the loss of the footage.

It would probably "fight back" if the hand moves enough to make the drone think it is still airborne. I use this in reverse at times to hand launch both my Mavic Mini and my M2P, i.e. start the motors with the CSC and then move my hand enough to feel the motors rev and then carefully take my hand away, the drone basically hovers out of my hand.

Reactions: Mavic 57
So far I have landed it on the boat and not tried a catch and flip. The Mini2 is smaller than previous drones I ve had so catching it looks a little more tricky.

I take off and land from a sunpad at the bow. It’s about 6’ x 6’ so plenty big but when you have 12 to 15 kts of wind it s a little tricky especially as the air flow gets disturbed by the boat. And having the boat swing on anchor doesnt help.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143