DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Grainy and Noisy footage at 100 ISO

Cinevo-One

Reactions
Hi there!

I'm a new and proud owner of a Mavic pro and really enjoy flying it. The only problem is I can't use my footage, even at ISO 100 it looks noisy an horrible in some areas. When the sun was setting I changed the ISO to 400 to correct the brightness. And after I checked my footage it was so noisy!

I'm filming in D-log, have used a kit of ND filter (shutter speed was 1/50.)

After looking up some problems I've found a problem that may fix the problem (changing MOV to MP4) because I'm using a Windows system.

Has anyone some experience with this problem, and do you think shooting in D-cinelike is better?

Thanks in advance,

Dylan Dreyer Varsics

Attachments

• mavic pro Dlog - iso 100.PNG
    mavic pro Dlog - iso 100.PNG
    4.1 MB · Views: 202
  • mavic pro Dlog - iso 100 - graded.PNG
    mavic pro Dlog - iso 100 - graded.PNG
    4.3 MB · Views: 163
  • mavic pro Dlog - iso 400 -.PNG
    mavic pro Dlog - iso 400 -.PNG
    3.4 MB · Views: 155
  • mavic pro Dlog - iso 400 - graded.PNG
    mavic pro Dlog - iso 400 - graded.PNG
    3.5 MB · Views: 152
You likely need to tweak your sharpness/contract/saturation settings. This video has some good tips for shooting in D-Log:

You likely need to tweak your sharpness/contract/saturation settings. This video has some good tips for shooting in D-Log:

Thanks for your advice! already watched that video ;)
Next Thursday I'm going to test some settings!

.MOV or MP4 won't make any difference, however if on Mac .mov is probably slightly better.
The main reason for noisy images is low light levels which the mavic camera does not much like.
You will get much better results in good light and over-expose slightly if anything.
The examples you attached could be improved quite a bit with Noise reduction, and don't suggest to me anything is wrong with the camera.

Cinelike is possibly the most popular option after default/none.
D-Log is (debateably) best if you have a good video editing software and some experience.
You need to record some short sequences with each, and see how it works for you when editing.

Reactions: Cinevo-One
.MOV or MP4 won't make any difference, however if on Mac .mov is probably slightly better.
The main reason for noisy images is low light levels which the mavic camera does not much like.
You will get much better results in good light and over-expose slightly if anything.
The examples you attached could be improved quite a bit with Noise reduction, and don't suggest to me anything is wrong with the camera.

Cinelike is possibly the most popular option after default/none.
D-Log is (debateably) best if you have a good video editing software and some experience.
You need to record some short sequences with each, and see how it works for you when editing.

Thanks for your advice!,

I have quite some knowledge about premiere pro, After effects and Lightroom. Most of the times I'm shooting in slog-2 and grading it in post.
But the Mavic pro is a bit harder to color grade, duo the compression. Do you think it's better to film in 2.7K for large scenes because it needs to less compress the image?

You're expecting too much from the small camera. D-log is just "cheating" by increasing ISO in the shadows, so even when shooting ISO100 when in D-Log your shadows are probably shot at ISO400 or more.
It's good for matching workflow to other Log footage, but you won't actually get any extra DR since the camera can't capture it anyway.
Cinelike is more representative of what the camera can do.

Do you think it's better to film in 2.7K for large scenes because it needs to less compress the image?
Recently I have been recording 2.7K and upscaling to 4K when rendering, this does seem to work well for youtube despite sounding *wrong*.
4K has advantages notably being able to crop in quite a bit, like digital zoom.
However if multiple filters are applied to 4K it's hard to preview when editing and 2.7K is much easier for that.

Reactions: Shawn3D
An old thread but heres my 2 pennies:

Mavic camera is natively 4k, so when shooting in lower resolutions it downsizes footage internally for which it doesn't have good algorithm.

I always shoot in 4k and downsize in edit if I have to.

Also D-log is not something Mavic camera excels at.
For using flat profile 60 Mbps bitrate is too small, as is 8bit color depth also.
You will get better dynamic range, but loose colors.

I found that Cinelike and use of quality ND filters is best way to go.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser