DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Grand Hyatt Resort - Poipu, Kauai

macfawlty

Reactions
A recent vacation in Kauai at the Grand Hyatt Resort in Poipu. Kauai is a most excellent place to fly drones. The coastline at Poipu is very accessible from a public parking lot at the far end of the hotel as well as the dirt road that continues past the Hyatt (the last hotel at the end of the road). There are red clay cliffs, a couple different bays and secluded beaches. A great place to hike as you can go pretty far with many discoveries. There's no road access to these areas.

Great job on the video! I haven't been to Poʻipū and Kauai since the 90s. Still looks amazing.

Great job on the video! I haven't been to Poʻipū and Kauai since the 90s. Still looks amazing.
That's about when I visited last. Kauai doesn't change much. Maui, on the other hand, is starting to look like Orange County, CA. 'Little boxes on all the hillsides'.

I shot about 175GB of video content with my M2P between the two islands in the 10 days. Exported 90 clips that I'll be editing together and uploading over the next couple weeks.

Looks like a nice place. Was it crowded?

Looks like a nice place. Was it crowded?
It wasn't overly crowded at the Hyatt. Poipu is a pretty popular destination as there are several resorts along that stretch.
The Grand Hyatt could use a little updating, but it doesn't matter that much as the property and location are some of the best you'll find. The grounds are spectacular with enough places to hang out you can usually find a beach chair (unlike a few other resorts I've visited this year that require getting up early, staking out a claim to a group of beach chairs before breakfast).

As for flying and hiking, it's really a great place for footage. Cliffs, coves, secluded beaches, seaside golf course, dramatic surf. You can snorkel just about anywhere it's deemed safe. My wife was unhappy because it rained a lot during our visit. A boat trip on the Na'pali coast got cancelled, airplane ride around the island got cancelled, took two trips to Waimea Canyon just to get a view (which lasted about 30 min. before rain came back). However, it provided me extra time for flying. DSC00367-70.jpg

Great job! I enjoyed it.

Really awesome place! Some times i think about moving somewhere where it's not so rainy in cold. :)))

A recent vacation in Kauai at the Grand Hyatt Resort in Poipu. Kauai is a most excellent place to fly drones. The coastline at Poipu is very accessible from a public parking lot at the far end of the hotel as well as the dirt road that continues past the Hyatt (the last hotel at the end of the road). There are red clay cliffs, a couple different bays and secluded beaches. A great place to hike as you can go pretty far with many discoveries. There's no road access to these areas.

Very nice footage!!! Maybe Hyatt will buy this from you. My only criticism is that the waves at the end of the clip were a bit too long. I think you tend to fall in love with watching these waves come in and go out.

Regarding the waves, is all the beach water that muddy in Kauai? I've been to the Big Island & Maui. Near Napili Beach in Maui, the water was so clear you could see forever underwater!

Regarding the waves, is all the beach water that muddy in Kauai? I've been to the Big Island & Maui. Near Napili Beach in Maui, the water was so clear you could see forever underwater!
It's not muddy exactly. The sand in the surf is just more noticeable from above. The water is crystal clear although when the surf is rough, you'll notice the water gets cloudy where it's shallow if you're snorkeling.

Really awesome place! Some times i think about moving somewhere where it's not so rainy in cold. :)))
Well, it does rain a lot on Kauai depending on where you are. It's called 'Sunny Poipu', but locals will tell you it's always raining in Hanalei. The clouds always get stuck in the mountains on the Na Pali coast and flow down through the Waimea Canyon.

Super nice footage, I was at Kauai about a year ago without my drone. Was on a cruise, and rules for Princess, is no drones allowed on board. Missed out on super footage like yours.

Kaui is awesome. Loved flying my MPP2 there also, hated Maui and Oahu in comparison but even though are still paradise compared to Boston MA

Super nice footage, I was at Kauai about a year ago without my drone. Was on a cruise, and rules for Princess, is no drones allowed on board. Missed out on super footage like yours.
For future reference, the cruise ship would probably allow you to check the drone with them while on board and retrieve when departing. I wish I had my M2P for my British Isles cruise last summer. I was using a P3 4k at the time and it was just too much luggage when I'm already carrying a big DSLR kit. The M2P solved that problem. Surprisingly, I didn't do much DSLR photography as I was flying every chance I got, which produced much better imagery. I probably should have taken more pics with the M2P, but I'm more into video.

Nice, only been to Oahu, plan I making back out there some day with drone and see some of the other islands.
Thanks for sharing your footage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent