DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Great morning light in the volcanic region, Brandywine mountain/meadows, tons of bloodsuckers too ... BC, Canada

DMD Cine Attic

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com

Thoroughly enjoyed having Brandywine for myself before the weekend hikers showed up on the way down, awesome light in the morning was a pay off for the fairly intensive mosquito / black fly / horse fly blood donating festival. This popular hike offers great views of The Mount Cayley volcanic field, including Mt. Fee, Mt.Cayley, Pyroclastic peak stretching 31 km from the Pemberton Icefield to the Squamish River. It forms a segment of the Garibaldi Volcanic Belt, the Canadian portion of the Cascade Volcanic Arc, which extends from Northern California to southwestern British Columbia. The thin layer of forest fire smoke in the valley beautifully separated the peaks of the Garibaldi range to the east, including Black tusk and Mount Garibaldi.

Yer KILLIN' me! :) I'm a North Van boy, now retired in the Kootenays. Flown that area several times shooting helicopter aerials and never got as many superb shots as you did. What aircraft?

Thanks for enduring the bugs and thanks for your excellent photographic skills. I'm glad I got out of the aerials biz before you arrived. :)

Reactions: DMD Cine Attic
Amazing capture! Well done!

Yer KILLIN' me! :) I'm a North Van boy, now retired in the Kootenays. Flown that area several times shooting helicopter aerials and never got as many superb shots as you did. What aircraft?

Thanks for enduring the bugs and thanks for your excellent photographic skills. I'm glad I got out of the aerials biz before you arrived. :)
We're in North Van as well, Kootenays is not a bad place to retire in :). I'm sure you scored many great shots on your helicopter, are you still flying in the Kontenays here and there ? Thank you for the kind words, aerials were done with Mini 2, the rest with BMPCC4K.

Thoroughly enjoyed having Brandywine for myself before the weekend hikers showed up on the way down, awesome light in the morning was a pay off for the fairly intensive mosquito / black fly / horse fly blood donating festival. This popular hike offers great views of The Mount Cayley volcanic field, including Mt. Fee, Mt.Cayley, Pyroclastic peak stretching 31 km from the Pemberton Icefield to the Squamish River. It forms a segment of the Garibaldi Volcanic Belt, the Canadian portion of the Cascade Volcanic Arc, which extends from Northern California to southwestern British Columbia. The thin layer of forest fire smoke in the valley beautifully separated the peaks of the Garibaldi range to the east, including Black tusk and Mount Garibaldi.
Fantastic collage…hiked a lot of these areas in my youth…you captured it beautifully. Nice 👍

IMHO this is the best video posted on this site! Incredible light, mountains (my favorites), and editing. I esp. liked the person materializing on the rock ( you I assume) - very cool effect. Well worth the bugs. Were they bad even up in the alpine? Thanks for sharing your beautiful 4K work, looked fantastic on a big screen.

We're in North Van as well, Kootenays is not a bad place to retire in :). I'm sure you scored many great shots on your helicopter, are you still flying in the Kontenays here and there ? Thank you for the kind words, aerials were done with Mini 2, the rest with BMPCC4K.
I just gave away my Mini 2. :) I shoulda kept it!

Now awaiting the return of my hours-old Mini 3 from DJI. (long story). Yes, lots of good photo opportunities here. I just need to get my chops. Hardly any of my helicopter skills are transferrable. : (

I'd love to see some footage from Garibaldi Lake. Years ago, I landed in there. Now, I don't think you're even permitted to fly a "real" aircraft over it.

Grew up just north of Edgemont Village.

Last edited:

Fantastic footage and put together well. Absolutely love it! The lighting was perfect too!

IMHO this is the best video posted on this site! Incredible light, mountains (my favorites), and editing. I esp. liked the person materializing on the rock ( you I assume) - very cool effect. Well worth the bugs. Were they bad even up in the alpine? Thanks for sharing your beautiful 4K work, looked fantastic on a big screen.
That is a very bold statement :), but I appreciate your compliments, I've seen a lot of great videos on this site. Yes, that would be me, there was no-one else on top at that moment, so I had to do it. I believe that is the longest footage of myself in at least 5 years :), camera shy they call it. Yup, bugs up there as well, there was a bit of a breeze on the ridge so lightweights (mosquitos) had harder time landing on me, that helped a bit. It was quite warm up there, the presence of water (melting snow) and delayed mosquito season because of later start of summer than usual made this august unusually mosquito friendly. But, yeah, well worth it anyway.

I just gave away my Mini 2. :) I shoulda kept it!

Now awaiting the return of my hours-old Mini 3 from DJI. (long story). Yes, lots of good photo opportunities here. I just need to get my chops. Hardly any of my helicopter skills are transferrable. : (

I'd love to see some footage from Garibaldi Lake. Years ago, I landed in there. Now, I don't think you're even permitted to fly a "real" aircraft over it.

Grew up just north of Edgemont Village.
A minute away from Edgemont village here. I'm interested in Mini 3 too, no rush though, do you happen to know a website with Mini 3 10bit untouched sample footage ? Have a good day.

A minute away from Edgemont village here. I'm interested in Mini 3 too, no rush though, do you happen to know a website with Mini 3 10bit untouched sample footage ? Have a good day.
Hilarious! Small world. Belmont Ave, a few blocks up Highland Blvd. Since I was six.

My replacement Mini 3 arrives Weds. Once I learn how to invoke 10 bit H.265 AND get a Custom Unlock so I can fly in my own backyard, I'll send you a clip.

Meanwhile, this guy who lives in Trail and has run a Mini 3 for a few weeks might be able to help you. Mention "Peter".

Once I learn how to invoke 10 bit H.265 AND get a Custom Unlock so I can fly in my own backyard
Trivial. 10-bit video is a camera setting, and the unlock is just a matter of agreeing that you have the right to fly there.

Easier to get the unlock with internet access. I've loaded the unlock into my controller and then into the drone for use in areas where I didn't have internet, and it was more fiddly.

Good to know it's easy to invoke ten bit video. Thanks.
Getting a custom unlock for my yard with the Mini 2 was not easy. It took two pages of printed instructions from DJI to just implement it. Once installed, however, it worked fine.

Hilarious! Small world. Belmont Ave, a few blocks up Highland Blvd. Since I was six.

My replacement Mini 3 arrives Weds. Once I learn how to invoke 10 bit H.265 AND get a Custom Unlock so I can fly in my own backyard, I'll send you a clip.

Meanwhile, this guy who lives in Trail and has run a Mini 3 for a few weeks might be able to help you. Mention "Peter".

Thank you, will do that. Not sure what you guys mean by unlocking the drone, is there an issue with mini3 not being able to take off in out of grid areas with no internet ? I must have misunderstood something I guess. That would be a total deal breaker in Canada :). Not really interested in obstacle sensors and all that, just looking for better image quality and dynamic range, 10bit flat picture profile.

Getting a custom unlock for my yard with the Mini 2 was not easy. It took two pages of printed instructions from DJI to just implement it. Once installed, however, it worked fine.
Were you doing the 'get authorization, install on controller, then load onto drone' dance?

Now I have a better phone, I turn on the wifi hotspot and when I get the 'authorization required' message just request one then-and-there. Works nicely and much less hassle.

Never tried flying in a location where DJI wants to see permission from the authorities, because I don't have the certification (or need) to jump through that kind of hoop.

I live in an "Authorization Zone", a few kilometers from a small airport in uncontrolled airspace. Every time I took off, I had to email DJI, who sent me a one-time code by text that had to be entered into the controller within a few minutes to enable flight. PITA.

Eventually, DJI issued me a months-long persistent "Custom Unlock". Obtaining that permission and installing it was onerous but eventually successful, and I could launch in my own backyard any time I wished. Now, I have to go through that process again with my new Mini 3. :(

I live in an "Authorization Zone", a few kilometers from a small airport in uncontrolled airspace. Every time I took off, I had to email DJI, who sent me a one-time code by text that had to be entered into the controller within a few minutes to enable flight. PITA.

Eventually, DJI issued me a months-long persistent "Custom Unlock". Obtaining that permission and installing it was onerous but eventually successful, and I could launch in my own backyard any time I wished. Now, I have to go through that process again with my new Mini 3. :(
I'm very close to DJI's authorization zone for Buttonville (and within the control zone, which is why I love having a 249 g drone). When I want to fly within the authorization zone a dialog pops up in Fly, I get a number texted to my phone which I input, and I'm good for three batteries of flying. I believe it lasts for a few days, but haven't wanted to fly the same location two days in a row so can't confirm that.

A persistent custom unlock sounds useful, and a lot like the ones I used to get before I had a phone that could make a hotspot. I should check it out again to save myself a bit of fiddling.

I'm very close to DJI's authorization zone for Buttonville (and within the control zone, which is why I love having a 249 g drone). When I want to fly within the authorization zone a dialog pops up in Fly, I get a number texted to my phone which I input, and I'm good for three batteries of flying. I believe it lasts for a few days, but haven't wanted to fly the same location two days in a row so can't confirm that.

A persistent custom unlock sounds useful, and a lot like the ones I used to get before I had a phone that could make a hotspot. I should check it out again to save myself a bit of fiddling.
Yes. It's a hassle, but once it's done, you're good. Mine was from summer until the end of the year and was easily renewed.

Ok, it makes sense now, that seems a bit complicated to me, you must love flying a lot :). I don't think I've ever flown in or near the city or any restricted areas, so I have yet to come across that message. Thank you for explaining. As long as there are no restrictions in the backcountry I'm good :).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair