DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Great Way to Practice Flight Moves for Video

2nckayakers

Reactions
I know there are a whole lot of different ways to practice making video shots, but the best way is to get out there and do them on real subjects. A great way for me to do it is to film farming operations. I didn't use any intelligent flight modes for any of this clip, everything is manual. If you think doing a manual orbit of a stationary object is hard to master, try doing a manual orbit of a moving object! I threw in half of an orbit on the last shot, but the others weren't anywhere near perfection yet so I left those out. It won't be long until they harvest soy beans and pick cotton so those should be interesting to do as well.

Very cool, and nice video quality. The machines are pretty neat also, do they only harvest certain sized leaves?
They harvest in stages. The bottom leaves come off first because they are Choice or Prime cut, then once they cut all of those and get them into the barn they will come back and cut the rest.

Boy you brought back memories . I grew up in there and spent my summers priming and hanging tobacco in barns as a kid
by hand .Lot easier now.
Cool video .

Reactions: JMF
I know there are a whole lot of different ways to practice making video shots, but the best way is to get out there and do them on real subjects. A great way for me to do it is to film farming operations. I didn't use any intelligent flight modes for any of this clip, everything is manual. If you think doing a manual orbit of a stationary object is hard to master, try doing a manual orbit of a moving object! I threw in half of an orbit on the last shot, but the others weren't anywhere near perfection yet so I left those out. It won't be long until they harvest soy beans and pick cotton so those should be interesting to do as well.

I like the orbit feature and way point modes, and active track, but like you, sometimes its just fun to do it all on your own and hone those flying skills. Did a tug boat with barges on the Mississippi River a month ago.

And did this one to practice aiming while flying up and away, plus sped up the whole video in post, and did the little fade transition effect deal so it didn't seem take forever to get to the higher altitude. This one was done in tripod mode, sped up many times.

The great thing with tracking farm machines is the movements are predictable and repeated over and over.
You do gradually get to the point you can move in any direction and operate gimbal smoothly without particularly thinking about it.
Here we have added complication a lot of work is on quite steep slope so have to think even more in 3D following up and down.

Reactions: cderoche
The great thing with tracking farm machines is the movements are predictable and repeated over and over.
You do gradually get to the point you can move in any direction and operate gimbal smoothly without particularly thinking about it.
Here we have added complication a lot of work is on quite steep slope so have to think even more in 3D following up and down.

The farmers can use that as a recruiting video, come work for a kick *** company and drive cool equipment that rocks.

I really like doing those kinds of shots too! I got a pretty good one of a ferry on the Savannah River here, check it out and let me know what you think!

Reactions: Bennomavic
I really like doing those kinds of shots too! I got a pretty good one of a ferry on the Savannah River here, check it out and let me know what you think!

Very nice, my favorite part is at the very end when you rose up from near that fountain and revealed the whole city.

Great video. Savannah is one of my favorite places to visit so I knew all of the places you were flying around. I have not been down there since I got the Mavic so I am looking forward to a stop over when I go to Orlando later this month. One of the places I definitely want to fly out to is Cockspur Beacon. We love kayaking out there. I also would love to do some flyover at Bonaventure. Where are some of the places you have launched from downtown?

They harvest in stages. The bottom leaves come off first because they are Choice or Prime cut, then once they cut all of those and get them into the barn they will come back and cut the rest.

Thanks for the added info!

Cool! I wish all farmers in my country has that machine..

Reactions: dannyw777
Great video. Savannah is one of my favorite places to visit so I knew all of the places you were flying around. I have not been down there since I got the Mavic so I am looking forward to a stop over when I go to Orlando later this month. One of the places I definitely want to fly out to is Cockspur Beacon. We love kayaking out there. I also would love to do some flyover at Bonaventure. Where are some of the places you have launched from downtown?

IMG_2940.JPG

That's a fun place to fly! Hit me up I have a cool place to launch from that isn't well known.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose