DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Greetings from Melbourne Australia

Lambda

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Just bought Mavic 3, but as I use for 360 photography, I will have to wait for the Pano firmware. Still, It's a really nice machine
Apart from mapping (for now I use MP2) i was part of a trial photographing remote power poles - not for the feint hearted, but I really enjoyed it. Took my flight hours from 30 hours to over 100 hours in one month. - in remote northern country Victoria, well away from people

I forgot to mention that I have the Australian ReOC license (I'm not sure of USA equivalent), and have DJI mini 2 (for flying near airports), MP2 and MP# (or M3 ?), I use iPad mini for all

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum.
Cool, do you live out there too ? (Ah, just reread thread title !! :) )
I have been through Manangatang many times, usually taking the Mallee Hwy out of Adelaide when driving to mostly QLD, sometimes NSW, used to go that way to the snow fields annually many years ago too.

Ah, you must have the RePL too then, great you went through and obtained the ReOC to provide drone services, I think a lot of commercial pilots might overlook that.

I think the official UAV legislation here is part 101, mostly it's termed for commecial work to hold RePL, ReOC, and the AROC if wanting to fly in more controlled airspace, and have comms with other aircraft and towers.
You will see many references here to the US UAV commercial licensing of part 107.
They are similar, but quite a few surprising differences with some rules.

Welcome mate, it's a good place to hang out and share a lot of info.

As mentioned, the US refer to part 107 through the FAA, similar to our RePL through CASA I believe, but they can go earn money without working under an ReOC, as we need to here in Oz. If I understand it correctly, and I have my RePL sub 25kg, kind of makes theRePL useless by itself. Very happy to be corrected or informed on this.
Still waiting to hear back from CASA with a bunch of questions regarding this but being the holiday period, I'm not expecting a reply anytime soon :rolleyes:

Anyway, enjoy, safe flying 😉

Welcome to the forum! :)

the US refer to part 107 through the FAA, similar to our RePL through CASA I believe, but they can go earn money without working under an ReOC

We can here too, using the sub 2kg "Excluded" category.
I got this quite a while ago (maybe 2 years ?), but as I've never bothered with anything commercial, when they introduced the registration for commercial pilots recently, I let it go.
(I used the online chat with CASA, and all I had to do was not register, but also not use any drones for commercial purposes.)

Recreational registration got pushed back a bit, now supposed to be mid 2022, so not long away now (again).

If I understand it correctly, and I have my RePL sub 25kg, kind of makes theRePL useless by itself. Very happy to be corrected or informed on this.

Summed up here for RePL . . .

and for ReOC . . .

It is a bit confusing in places, one part says you with the RePL you can be employed as a remote pilot for an individual or business that holds a ReOC, or apply for your own ReOC.

The other page for ReOC says you must hold an ReOC unless you hold a RePL.

Good you have plans to clarify with them.
Try the website online chat window during business hours, I have used it a few times and it seems very efficient, much better than the gauntlet of some GOVCO phone systems / button pushing.

We can here too, using the sub 2kg "Excluded" category.
I got this quite a while ago (maybe 2 years ?), but as I've never bothered with anything commercial, when they introduced the registration for commercial pilots recently, I let it go.
(I used the online chat with CASA, and all I had to do was not register, but also not use any drones for commercial purposes.)

Recreational registration got pushed back a bit, now supposed to be mid 2022, so not long away now (again).

Summed up here for RePL . . .

and for ReOC . . .

It is a bit confusing in places, one part says you with the RePL you can be employed as a remote pilot for an individual or business that holds a ReOC, or apply for your own ReOC.

The other page for ReOC says you must hold an ReOC unless you hold a RePL.

Good you have plans to clarify with them.
Try the website online chat window during business hours, I have used it a few times and it seems very efficient, much better than the gauntlet of some GOVCO phone systems / button pushing.
Thanks for the reply MSO, but after 21 years in the RAAF as an aerospace engineer/flight eng, dealing with CASA frequently, I try to avoid them now as much as possible 😆 (Although many mates now wear their uniform)

I had paid for and completed my ReOC, so I am more than conversant with the details, but have let the idea go. Once again, after a career in Australian military aviation, knowing the many hoops to jump through...and frequently to maintain certification (audits, amendments, etc)...I don't think my mental health needs it anymore. More than happy to fly for free and support Aussies that can use the help... I'm currently flying for free to support RSLs, rural communities (crop mapping and analysis), etc. I just enjoy flying, so why not.

But we digress...Lambda welcome, and enjoy the show!

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;)

Welcome again

Reactions: MA2 317
Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.;

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123