DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Greetings from the south of England.

Chanctonbury

Reactions
Hi folks,

Just a quick introduction. Many years ago I used to be a member of the Epsom Downs Radio Flying Club and for some years I was the editor of the club's magazine. I used to fly fixed wing power and large (1/3rd scale) gliders writing of my exploits in two monthly articles called 'The Sussex Winchman' (alluding to the powered winch that I built to tow my gliders aloft and 'Not on the Level' for when I was slope soaring.

Moving forwards 30 years and several hobbies later I became fascinated by drones having been introduced to them by a friend who flew them commercially and did some research work with the MOD. I couldn't justify the cost a anything like what he flew but when I saw the Mavic Mini I just had to have one which brings me to where I am now.

I've only logged about four hours flying time so far as the weather in the UK is atrocious at the moment (in fact we are in the middle of 'Storm Dennis' as I write this) but I am having a fantastic time with this little device which has so far proved to be very reliable and predictable although I am deliberately flying comfortably within its recommended flight envelope and heeding any wind warnings that the DJI Fly app gives me!

My main interest is in capturing scenic country views as I live in an 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty' on the South Downs of West Sussex. Althiugh I don't currently have to be registered as the craft weighs less than 250gm, I have registered with the UK's authority, the CAA and have both an 'Operator' and 'Flyer' licence. From July 2020 onwards, this will be a legal requirement anyway as the Mavic Mini has a camera and new laws ignore the current weight where cameras are concerned. Sadly, I already fear a little for the future of my new hobby but will be actively promoting it in a positive manner.

My other interests include Astrophotography (I've written two books on the subject), fast cars (I built my own Westfield SpeedSport 1800), learning to play the Great Highland Bagpipes (with some limited success) and producing music on my Moog modular synthesizer.

I hope to take an active part in this forum once I get up to speed.

Regards,
Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Thank you - I suspect that you are getting Storm Dennis worse than me!
yes there is a lot of flooding not far from where i live,Wales seems to have taken the brunt of it this time

Hi folks,

Just a quick introduction. Many years ago I used to be a member of the Epsom Downs Radio Flying Club and for some years I was the editor of the club's magazine. I used to fly fixed wing power and large (1/3rd scale) gliders writing of my exploits in two monthly articles called 'The Sussex Winchman' (alluding to the powered winch that I built to tow my gliders aloft and 'Not on the Level' for when I was slope soaring.

Moving forwards 30 years and several hobbies later I became fascinated by drones having been introduced to them by a friend who flew them commercially and did some research work with the MOD. I couldn't justify the cost a anything like what he flew but when I saw the Mavic Mini I just had to have one which brings me to where I am now.

I've only logged about four hours flying time so far as the weather in the UK is atrocious at the moment (in fact we are in the middle of 'Storm Dennis' as I write this) but I am having a fantastic time with this little device which has so far proved to be very reliable and predictable although I am deliberately flying comfortably within its recommended flight envelope and heeding any wind warnings that the DJI Fly app gives me!

My main interest is in capturing scenic country views as I live in an 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty' on the South Downs of West Sussex. Althiugh I don't currently have to be registered as the craft weighs less than 250gm, I have registered with the UK's authority, the CAA and have both an 'Operator' and 'Flyer' licence. From July 2020 onwards, this will be a legal requirement anyway as the Mavic Mini has a camera and new laws ignore the current weight where cameras are concerned. Sadly, I already fear a little for the future of my new hobby but will be actively promoting it in a positive manner.

My other interests include Astrophotography (I've written two books on the subject), fast cars (I built my own Westfield SpeedSport 1800), learning to play the Great Highland Bagpipes (with some limited success) and producing music on my Moog modular synthesizer.

I hope to take an active part in this forum once I get up to speed.

Regards,
Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk
Hey there Steve

Nice to see someone from the local area here. I live in Carshalton and yes the Epsom Flying Club is still about. I tend to fly from Leatherhead and Box Hill (our overseas colleagues might remember it from the 2012 Olympics Cycling Route), like you already registered with the BMFA for Heli and fixed wing and have a commercial pilots licence. Oh and the Bagpipes I was wondering what that noise in the middle of the night was :)

Anyway welcome and as a fellow member of this here British Isles..

Neil

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching. Thumbswayup

Hey there Steve

Nice to see someone from the local area here. I live in Carshalton and yes the Epsom Flying Club is still about. I tend to fly from Leatherhead and Box Hill ... Oh and the Bagpipes I was wondering what that noise in the middle of the night was :)

Anyway welcome and as a fellow member of this here British Isles..

Neil

Thanks Neil,

Much appreciated - I know Leatherhead and Boxhill very well as I lived in Ashtead (near Leatherhead) for several years. Yes, the bagpipes are pretty LOUD!!

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.

Thank you Thomas.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Thank you all for the welcome, having spent some time in the last week perusing this forum I can see that there is indeed a mine of information and knowledge here!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica