DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Grounded DJI drones in 2020

SOTL

Reactions
Hey guys, I was about to buy another mavic 2 pro to replace a bad business deal ( long story ) and to add to my mavic fleet. (Black friday) I get a insight warning that DJI will be grounded because of security issues with transmissions to China with our data.
Can anyone verify this? I trust my source and this will be a blow to us that uses these drones for businesses.
cheers!

Several US Government Departments have prohibited the purchase and use of DJI aircraft, based on various data security concerns. The rules, application and justification are inconsistent, although there is now a Senate Bill attempting to put a blanket ban on government use. However, there is no prospect of any kind of restriction on private use of DJI aircraft, so your source is wrong.

Several US Government Departments have prohibited the purchase and use of DJI aircraft, based on various data security concerns. The rules, application and justification are inconsistent, although there is now a Senate Bill attempting to put a blanket ban on government use. However, there is no prospect of any kind of restriction on private use of DJI aircraft, so your source is wrong.

thank you for the response. I am about to pull the trigger on the (Black Friday ) sale. I wanted to see if anyone else have heard anything as this is not public as of yet.

thank you for the response. I am about to pull the trigger on the (Black Friday ) sale. I wanted to see if anyone else have heard anything as this is not public as of yet.
Where did your source get this information from?

Hey guys, I was about to buy another mavic 2 pro to replace a bad business deal ( long story ) and to add to my mavic fleet. (Black friday) I get a insight warning that DJI will be grounded because of security issues with transmissions to China with our data.
Can anyone verify this? I trust my source and this will be a blow to us that uses these drones for businesses.
cheers!

Are you doing business for the Federal Government? If so, contractors may be limited depending on the contract stipulations, especially if you are mapping any type of sensitive government property. Otherwise, if you’re just doing private contracts, you should be fine.

Reactions: SOTL
Are you doing business for the Federal Government? If so, contractors may be limited depending on the contract stipulations, especially if you are mapping any type of sensitive government property. Otherwise, if you’re just doing private contracts, you should be fine.
Awesome, I am private. no government contracts.. That is a relief for me. Hopefully they figure out a halfway point for businesses that do government drone work....

cheers!

This is basically just a political issue, no evidence of any "secrets" being transmitted anywhere. This noise will go away when there is a trade deal with China, or our current political situation changes. At any rate, this only affects federal agencies, not private or business use. All we have to deal with are the higher prices in the US due to the tariffs. It does sound like there maybe some good deals to be had through black Friday and cyber week.

Reactions: TSUPD
This is basically just a political issue, no evidence of any "secrets" being transmitted anywhere. This noise will go away when there is a trade deal with China, or our current political situation changes. At any rate, this only affects federal agencies, not private or business use. All we have to deal with are the higher prices in the US due to the tariffs. It does sound like there maybe some good deals to be had through black Friday and cyber week.

Actually the genesis of this issue was not political - it was initially a result of an over-reaction by DoD when they discovered that the military had been using off-the-shelf DJI drones in sensitive operations without any thought about sensitive data getting transmitted to the DJI servers. Even the simple functionality of turning off flight data synchronization had not been used. It spiraled from there.

More recently I suspect that politics has reared its head, primarily via US drone manufacturers applying political pressure to get their expensive and, in most cases, inferior, offerings used instead. Price rises due to the trade dispute are just collateral damage.

You realize the discounts in the DJI mailer are not effective until 11/23?

Just a thought: What “World dominating “ data does DJI receive on it’s servers other than our flight data from various locations?

IF DJI really want to have info on flight locations then who cares? Google maps has a pretty good coverage of most, if not all, of the planet!

I feel this is simply paranoia.

Just a thought: What “World dominating “ data does DJI receive on it’s servers other than our flight data from various locations?

IF DJI really want to have info on flight locations then who cares? Google maps has a pretty good coverage of most, if not all, of the planet!

I feel this is simply paranoia.

The original issue was telemetry and images/video of operations, not just static views that you could get from Google Earth, or even surveillance satellites.

The original issue was telemetry and images/video of operations, not just static views that you could get from Google Earth, or even surveillance satellites.

No worries “They” are welcome to “telemetry and images/video of my operations” at my local park anytime “They” want???

Whilst I can see the point behind caution in sensitive sites, I still say paranoia if anyone believes there is a case for grounding ALL DJI flights undertaken by Joe Public.

No worries “They” are welcome to “telemetry and images/video of my operations” at my local park anytime “They” want???

Whilst I can see the point behind caution in sensitive sites, I still say paranoia if anyone believes there is a case for grounding ALL DJI flights undertaken by Joe Public.
Well said, they are welcome to my telemetry as well.

Agreed - it doesn't have much relevance at all to non-sensitive flights.

Well said, they are welcome to my telemetry as well.

Thanks. In fact I would suggest the “Powers that be” should be more concerned if a certain Communist run country made the chips and boards that go into my military F15 jets.....ohhh wait!?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair