DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Grounded due to Lack of Wisdom and Humility

GoGracefully

Reactions
I am new to flying and this forum, but one thing seems quite obvious to me in my few short weeks here. Pilots not only need to have extensive knowlege, they also need wisdom and humility. It is truly a privilege to fly unmanned aircraft in the public space and that privilege WILL BE curtailed drastically if pilots do not pay attention to the signs at hand. Here is one sign I heard on NPR just yesterday:

On Point for January 28, 2019

The other sign is the hubris I have witnessed when pilots (and I use this word reluctantly) crash their drone and then come to this forum for help with a self-righteous attitude. Time and time again I have watched experienced pilots dissect flight data of a crashed drones only to reveal that the operator was flying at an AGL 3 or 4 times higher than what is considered safe within our community. Then these seekers of help defend their blatantly poor judgment (like flying downwind in 40 MPH wind for miles) on DJI, software, wind, or __________ by asserting some modicum of experience they possess. It is a comedy of sorts but my laughter is filled with reserve.

I am thrilled by the opportunity to fly and I would hate to have it ruined by those who willingly read long threads like those in this forum and simultaneously fail to study even the basics of Aeronautics. I know this is a bit of a rant, but it does come with a few suggestions:

1. Humility is born from knowing how little you actually know, so thank your teachers and drop the self-righteousness.

2. UAS Part 107 study material is a great base of knowlege even if you do NOT want to be a commercial pilot, so start studying.

3. Knowlege is only good if your experience can manage it, so take what you have learned and test it out in the air while practicing number 1 above.

4. Managing knowlege in a crisis is challenging and requires practice, so challenge yourself in a safe place.

Fly wise, fly humble!

I am new to flying and this forum, but one thing seems quite obvious to me in my few short weeks here. Pilots not only need to have extensive knowlege, they also need wisdom and humility. It is truly a privilege to fly unmanned aircraft in the public space and that privilege WILL BE curtailed drastically if pilots do not pay attention to the signs at hand. Here is one sign I heard on NPR just yesterday:

The other sign is the hubris I have witnessed when pilots (and I use this word reluctantly) crash their drone and then come to this forum for help with a self-righteous attitude. Time and time again I have watched experienced pilots dissect flight data of a crashed drones only to reveal that the operator was flying at an AGL 3 or 4 times higher than what is considered safe within our community. Then these seekers of help defend their blatantly poor judgment (like flying downwind in 40 MPH wind for miles) on DJI, software, wind, or __________ by asserting some modicum of experience they possess. It is a comedy of sorts but my laughter is filled with reserve.

I am thrilled by the opportunity to fly and I would hate to have it ruined by those who willingly read long threads like those in this forum and simultaneously fail to study even the basics of Aeronautics. I know this is a bit of a rant, but it does come with a few suggestions:

1. Humility is born from knowing how little you actually know, so thank your teachers and drop the self-righteousness.

2. UAS Part 107 study material is a great base of knowlege even if you do NOT want to be a commercial pilot, so start studying.

3. Knowlege is only good if your experience can manage it, so take what you have learned and test it out in the air while practicing number 1 above.

4. Managing knowlege in a crisis is challenging and requires practice, so challenge yourself in a safe place.

Fly wise, fly humble!
well said

Most of the people I have seen who have lost their drones due to wind seem quite humble once sar104 or meta4 prove to them they made a mistake. A recent guy from NZ who lost his drone was very reasonable yet posters couldn't help but pile on to the point the thread had to be closed. All of us can use a bit more humility, unless we are perfect...

Most of the people I have seen who have lost their drones due to wind seem quite humble once sar104 or meta4 prove to them they made a mistake. A recent guy from NZ who lost his drone was very reasonable yet posters couldn't help but pile on to the point the thread had to be closed. All of us can use a bit more humility, unless we are perfect...
that was well said also. i agree the drone police do go overboard sometimes

citizens flying drones will be heavily regulated in a few more years as current lobbying and legislation is waiting to be heard in congress - youll see owners being tethered and only able to fly with approved devices, with bio and geo metrics used to enforce restictions to prevent terrorism, reckless 'pilots' and clear the airspace for commercial drone deliveries and 'land survey'

decry this post? bookmark it, come back in 2022 and well see how close down the rabbit hole I was.

Reactions: Rich55

Fly wise, fly humble!

Amen.. I studied the Part 107 exam and passed all. test material, I do not intend to aquire my certificate nor fly commercially, however I would not fly without such knowledge. My first flight (with an instructor) is Feb 9th.
Safe Sky's.

Fly wise, fly humble!

Wise thoughts indeed.

What a wonderful thing it is to be able to read the manual, understand it, and practice the introduction flights. I do not know of the other models, but the MA steps you through the necessary basics for all modes of flight. Maybe that’s why basic flight modes are included, for practice.
But then, you also have a plethora of videos on YT to coach one along as well. That is, until you watch the video about “My Mavic Flew 6.75 Miles Out and Back, Here’s How!” A good pilot will strive to fly safe and promote safe acts as well. One should also be able to feel humility and acknowledge mistakes. Knowing where we went wrong, and redirecting the thought and process in the correct direction helps us to grow.

Safe flights to all

Reactions: old man mavic
It is well written indeed. But in all honesty a bit Utopian.
Wisdom and humility are not supplied to every person that cracks open a DJI drone Christmas morning.
Mistakes are inevitable "It is human to err".
Crashes make better RC pilots.
No one wants to crash a $1000 toy. And, we can't expect every new pilot to study aerodynamics. But those that don't study will have to open wallet to repair /replace.
I respect those that come here and share their "crash story".
Many only learn the hard way, by making mistakes and only then learning from it.
- If wisdom and humility would/to prevail, we would not see a 17-year-old driving a Camaro as a first car, legal alcohol limits while driving, guns...ok, I am off my soapbox. This last sentence was for self-entertainment.

I'm just to scared to lose my thousand dollar Drone to:
Not follow the Rules
To not keep VLOS
To not go above 400 ft
To not pay attention to the wind.
To not fly near airports
To not fly near people.

Agree with you 100%
BUT...
VLOS and 400 feet limit...These drones are made to break those rules. Why would they allow waypoints to be entered that is miles away. How far can we see 1-foot x 1-foot drone in the sky that is gray in color..with a naked eye? It is even smaller because we can't see the spinning propellers. At 200 feet it is hard to spot, at 400 feet up and 400 feet away, with quiet props I can't hear it or see it. Can you?
If you give a drone full inflight stabilization and return to home ability and a way to track it on a tablet, most pilots will fly it out of sight most of the time.

Reactions: Stephenmaycol
Wisdom and humility are not supplied to every person that cracks open a DJI drone Christmas morning.
No one wants to crash a $1000 toy. And, we can't expect every new pilot to study aerodynamics. But those that don't study will have to open wallet to repair /replace.
Many only learn the hard way, by making mistakes and only then learning from it.
- If wisdom and humility would/to prevail, we would not see a 17-year-old driving a Camaro as a first car, legal alcohol limits while driving, guns...ok, I am off my soapbox. This last sentence was for self-entertainment.
What you say is true. The first step to being a safe and knowledgeable pilot rests with the individual. We could all open an encyclopedia and read from front to back. Does us no good unless we open the mind as well.
As a 16 year old, (1971), my car was a Plymouth Valiant with a 3 speed on the column. A speed shift always resulted in the cotter pin coming out and my hand with the shifter hitting the inside roof. My last favorite (sport car) was the 1980 Camero Z28, factory T-top, 350 4B with the scoop facing rear. For some strange reason, every time I stepped on the gas, the scoop opened and the gas gauge went down. Woke up one morning, and it was no where to be found!
1548867410283.jpeg
Mine had the blood red interior.
If I had known then, what I know now!

Reactions: SpitFire
Agree with you 100%
BUT...
VLOS and 400 feet limit...These drones are made to break those rules. Why would they allow waypoints to be entered that is miles away. How far can we see 1-foot x 1-foot drone in the sky that is gray in color..with a naked eye? It is even smaller because we can't see the spinning propellers. At 200 feet it is hard to spot, at 400 feet up and 400 feet away, with quiet props I can't hear it or see it. Can you?
If you give a drone full inflight stabilization and return to home ability and a way to track it on a tablet, most pilots will fly it out of sight most of the time.
I can see my bird at 400' and there is no 400' limit, many threads on this.

Fly wise, fly humble!
In my very humble opinion; You've hit the nail right on its head with this post! ThumbswayupThumbswayup

Reactions: Drronn

utopian
u·to·pi·an
/yo͞oˈtōpēən/

1. modeled on or aiming for a state in which everything is perfect; idealistic. (emphasis mine).

Also, the second and more powerful half of Alexander Pope's quote is:

"To forgive is divine."

So, please let us all make mistakes as we humans are prone to do, and by all means bring those learning experiences to this forum for the added benefit of having many fine minds focus on solutions and growth for all of us, but please do it with humility. Additionally, if we remember that we are essentially ambassadors for this burgeoning technology and the attitudes we adopt, share, and advocate will have an impact on many others and the industry as a whole. Because of this, I personally do not view drones as toys, nor will not dismiss dangerous, ignorant, and arrogant behavior to the human condition. In this light I am pleased to be called utopian.

"Even when the air currents are ascending, no bird can soar except by outstretched wings."

I've lived long enough to have personally experienced DUMB, IGNORANT, and STUPID.

"Dumb" implies someone who does not know right from wrong and lacks the ability to learn. When in my teens, I already knew EVERYTHING. That made me unteachable- which is the same thing as DUMB.

"Ignorant" implies someone who does not know right from wrong, but DOES have the ability to learn. When I first began flying my Mavic Pro, my ignorance was costly- but I rarely made the same mistake TWICE.

"Stupid" implies someone who knows right from wrong- but does the wrong thing anyway! Yeah, I've done some really STUPID stuff in my life. All this to say, I've seen a lot of DUMP, IGNORANT, and STUPID in this forum. Thankfully, I've benefited from some of the HUMILITY and WISDOM that I've found on this forum!

Good words, Gracefully!!! From an Old Man who has experienced amazing grace!!

Fly wise, fly humble!

Here Here! Well written.

Reactions: 747P4
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada