DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Grounded! Pixel 6/6 Pro incompatible with Fly app - Black screen

AtomQ

Reactions
Well, I just discovered some unfortunate news. The current DJI Fly app is not compatible with the new Google Pixel 6 Pro (and 6). I spent 15 minutes out at the park trying to figure out why my screen was black - no video feed. Then I came home and tried again. Then I tried with a different phone and it worked (whew! expensive drone not broken). I later searched the topic and there is already a thread over at DJI complaining about it.

Ugh. I get they need a little time, the phone just came out. I guess I can use this little, old Redmi phone for now.

In any case, if you got your hands on the new Pixel and are wondering why your screen is black, there ya go. I guess I keep checking for a software update.

Hey - I have a DJI Smart Controller that isn't really compatible with DJI Fly... seems the app has no clue how to use the SC compass, and it's been a problem since day one.

Well, I just discovered some unfortunate news. The current DJI Fly app is not compatible with the new Google Pixel 6 Pro (and 6). I spent 15 minutes out at the park trying to figure out why my screen was black - no video feed. Then I came home and tried again. Then I tried with a different phone and it worked (whew! expensive drone not broken). I later searched the topic and there is already a thread over at DJI complaining about it.

Ugh. I get they need a little time, the phone just came out. I guess I can use this little, old Redmi phone for now.

In any case, if you got your hands on the new Pixel and are wondering why your screen is black, there ya go. I guess I keep checking for a software update.
While don't go for latest and greatest, it does take a bit for anyone to make some product compatible - nature of beast.

I prefer to have a separate phone or tablet in my case as the tablet is much better for viewing - but also it only runs the FlyApp and no other programs. Hopefully Androids don't become like some of the Apple products that get hot / slow down / etc and have issues when using FlyApp and flying. Just a suggestion.

There was an update to the Fly app today (1.5.0) but the problem persists. I know they will fix it but it's a matter of how long until they do. DJI Mimo also doesn't work (Pocket 2).

If I had known, I would have kept my old phone longer.

• Wow
Reactions: tlswift58
There was an update to the Fly app today (1.5.0) but the problem persists. I know they will fix it but it's a matter of how long until they do. DJI Mimo also doesn't work (Pocket 2).

If I had known, I would have kept my old phone longer.
Thought 1.5.0 was for IOS and M3 only?

Have not even tried my Pocket2 with a phone - just seems so clunky, but would be better than that tiny screen on it.

When I got my first Mini-2, I was shocked and appalled at the fact that neither my tablet nor my phone (both Android) could run the DJI Fly app!

I needed a new phone anyhow, which is how I solved the problem, but if I had just bought a new phone, and it didn't work?

That would not have been a good day...

TCS

Thought 1.5.0 was for IOS and M3 only?

Have not even tried my Pocket2 with a phone - just seems so clunky, but would be better than that tiny screen on it.
The app is at 1.5.0 for both now. You can get it here:

Interesting, all of the Pixels have been removed from the phones they say it works with. I could swear it used to have the 3 and 3XL listed there a couple of days ago.

I have a 4th axis rig where I use my phone with the Pocket 2. It's a very useful setup. But, when just doing quick handheld shooting, I don't connect a phone in part for the reason you said.

UPDATE - 11/18/21

I have been routinely checking the DJI downloads page for an update. It's been sitting at 1.5.0. Today, I decided to try running the DJI Fly app. There was an update to 1.5.1. There was also a firmware update to 02.04.2110 (I think that's right). I updated both.

Still black screen on my Pixel 6 Pro.

So, one thing I learned is that the DJI website might not always show the latest version. I need to check through the app. I also learned they still don't support the Pixel 6.

I'll keep waiting.

Last edited:
I think it has to do with the chipswt in it. The S21 has a similar chip and has same issue, except the snapdragon version. Doesn't help much, but might help figure out the issue.

I think it has to do with the chipswt in it. The S21 has a similar chip and has same issue, except the snapdragon version. Doesn't help much, but might help figure out the issue.
If it's chipset, that might be bad. The Pixel 6 uses a brand new, Google inspired chip called Tensor. Only the Pixel 6s have it. Probably not enough users to get DJI's attention.

I understand the pixel and P2 aren't listed as they aren't supported by Google anymore. They have the 3 XL and 4 listed. 5 is not listed nor is the 6. If the 5 worked and doesn't now, that crappy of them to kill support without warning.

Have you tried swapping between HD and Smooth.?

DJI uses very strange i-frames, post corrected in app :) , doesn't always work with HW acc decoding.

Can you play the cache files on your computer? They're copies of the livestream, not transcoded. Can you play them on your phone?

I'm also planning to buy a new phone, so this was good to know! Please report back your findings.

What drone do you have? Different drones have different compression.

Reactions: basyok
What drone do you have? Different drones have different compression.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try those soon when I take out the drone again.

I have an Air 2S.

A couple of days ago, DJI responded to a tweet I sent them. They said they are aware of the issue and asked me to send logs and confirm I am on v1.5.1 of the Fly app. They also wanted a screen recording of what it looks like when I connect (which is no video feed). So, there was some movement on DJI's part.

Update: 11/23/2021

Twitter response from DJI:

Sorry for the belated response. Thanks for the information provided. We'll make sure to relay this to the team for their recommendations. Surely, we'll let you know once an update becomes available. Thank you again for your cooperation and patience.

All we can do is wait and use a different phone, if possible.

Was planning on the Pixel 6. Now looking at Note 20 ultra. More $$
I'm also planning to buy a new phone, so this was good to know! Please report back your findings.

I just wanted to tell you guys that the Pixel 6 is an excellent phone for Android users. I have the Pixel 6 Pro and am completely happy with it (now that I've learned the fingerprint sensor). If there is a way you can fly using an old phone or can wait a bit for DJI to fix this, you will be pleasantly surprised by Google's re-entry into the flagship market.

I am going to try those suggestions. I'll report back. (next page of this thread...)

Last edited:
Reactions: basyok
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S