DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

[GUIDE] Recover missing USB drives (SD card, flight logs) on Windows

Kilrah

Reactions
There have been a few reports lately about not being able to access the SD card through the Mavic's USB port anymore, and also of the Flight data not being accessible through current DJI Assistant 1.1.0 anymore (also normally accessed though an USB drive on current versions).

I could reproduce it on 2 computers on which I've kept DJI Assistant current (at least 1.0.9, then 1.1.0), interestingly the problem was not present on a third computer that never saw an Assistant version newer than 1.0.4, suggesting an update probably broke it at some point probably at the driver level.

I have managed to recover both functions using the following:
  • Disconnect/power the Mavic off
  • Download NirSoft's USBDeview
  • Extract, right click, run as admin
  • Sort by VendorID, select all lines with 2ca3, right click, select "Uninstall Selected Devices"
usbdeview.png
  • Download Driver Store Explorer
  • Extract, run as admin, click Enumerate
  • Sort by Pkg Provider
  • Find and tick the 2 entries from "dji-innovations inc."
  • Tick "Force deletion" and click "Delete Package"
rapr.png

Reconnect the Mavic, and the SD card should now appear after a while. Assistant 1.1.0 still works, although I'm not sure if a reinstall may be necessary (I had uninstalled before the process, probably for nothing). Flight data now correctly works, the SD card disappears and the internal log drive replaces it.

The problem has not reappeared with a reinstall of Assistant 1.1.0.

YMMV, try at your own risk etc, but it worked on my 2 affected machines on W10.

Last edited:
Interesting, so the only difference I see between my systems and yours is the DJI Assistant 2 version. Mine are still running version 1.0.9. I guess I won't be updating them.

Does version 1.1.0 still prompt you that the exe file wants to make a change to the computer every time you start the application?

I also curious what kind of read speed you get when copying files from the Mavics SD card using the micro USB cable to your computer after these changes you made?
Scott

Does version 1.1.0 still prompt you that the exe file wants to make a change to the computer every time you start the application?
Yep still needs admin access, probably to configure the network between it and the Mavic.

I also curious what kind of read speed you get when copying files from the Mavics SD card using the micro USB cable to your computer after these changes you made?
Same 10MB/s, that would be a hardware limitation.

There have been a few reports lately about not being able to access the SD card through the Mavic's USB port anymore, and also of the Flight data not being accessible through current DJI Assistant 1.1.0 anymore (also normally accessed though an USB drive on current versions).

I could reproduce it on 2 computers on which I've kept DJI Assistant current (at least 1.0.9, then 1.1.0), interestingly the problem was not present on a third computer that never saw an Assistant version newer than 1.0.4, suggesting an update probably broke it at some point probably at the driver level.

• Sort by VendorID, select all lines with 2ca3, right click, select "Uninstall Selected Devices"
View attachment 8836
  • Sort by Pkg Provider
View attachment 8837

Reconnect the Mavic, and the SD card should now appear after a while. Assistant 1.1.0 still works, although I'm not sure if a reinstall may be necessary (I had uninstalled before the process, probably for nothing). Flight data now correctly works, the SD card disappears and the internal log drive replaces it.

Thanks for sharing your solution! Personally, I have not had the issue. (Yet). My Win 10 just updated last night planning on flying tomorrow. ...

Wow, I just searched the forum for DJI assistant issues and their is a lot more then I expected. I'm starting to realize the assistant app is worse then the firmware updates. My opinion is vastly becoming that once you have one running then leave it alone and don't update it.

One think I thought of, you mentioned uninstall and installing didn't work. Did you happen to try windows system restore point to before you installed the new version?
If not, I was going to try that and update my windows machine, hopefully it breaks then try restore to see if it fixes it.
I have 1.0.9 running on my MacBook also, so if I screw up windows assistant it won't matter to me much.
Scott

Hello Kilrah,

Many thanks for your guide, I had the same issue and your procedure fixed it perfectly !
Cheers !

Reactions: Kilrah

View attachment 8836
  • Sort by Pkg Provider
View attachment 8837

Thanks! I just did this and it worked. I was able to get to my .Dat files on W10 X64. I was unable to see them prior.

Howdy,

Phantom 4 Pro owner here - just registered so that I could thank you for this.

I had personally gotten as far as USBDView but - as you know, that wasn't enough. I had all but given up as searching this issue on any P4P forum turned up nothing. Happened to just be browsing this forum and happened upon your guide.

Needless to say, it worked.

Thank you very very much!

Cheers,
Ace

View attachment 8836
  • Sort by Pkg Provider
View attachment 8837

View attachment 8836
  • Sort by Pkg Provider
View attachment 8837

@Kilrah - You good sir, are a legend. I've been battling with this 'invisible SD device' all day. Can finally see my Mavic in explorer. Many thanks!

Hi Kilrah,
you made my day :)
Thank you very much for providing this solution!
Best regards
Andreas

Awesome, worked perfectly. Thank you thank you. such a stupid issue to have to resolve.

Hello Kilrah,

YOU ARE THE BEST!!!

Thank you so much with your help. That‘s the way it should be in every forum!

I just did everything step by step (perfectly explained) and finally i see the SD in my mavic and don‘t have to fumble it out with my clumsy fingers ;-)

YOU ROCK!!!

Thank you once more

Ralph

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiuserjohn