DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Gunsight Notch Fly Through

Thanks everyone. Red Rock is nearby for me and is an awesome place to fly. I have quite a few more canyons and mountains to explore. Arizona is on my list soon too. Love the desert!

Love the low level flying thanks for sharing

As others have said, an amazing flight. Just beware that down between those cliffs you are quite likely to drop into ATTI, so be ready to climb at max speed in the event it happens. Only very skilled pilots could avoid those rocks in ATTI if there was any significant wind.

As others have said, an amazing flight. Just beware that down between those cliffs you are quite likely to drop into ATTI, so be ready to climb at max speed in the event it happens. Only very skilled pilots could avoid those rocks in ATTI if there was any significant wind.
Thanks. The biggest problem I have had down low in deep rock canyons is Zebra pattern on the iPhone screen. Strangely, this occurs when the transmitter is close to the drone rather than far. Even 200 yards away with perfect VLOS I have had heavy Zebra pattern occur which usually begins at the bottom of the screen and rises, sometimes occurring on one side of the screen only. This happened in the Notch, so only one wall was visible, the other mostly obscured by zebra, thus I steered closer to the visible wall. In every case this happens only in deep canyons in close proximity to the transmitter. When I am positioned with the transmitter out of the canyon on the desert floor with the drone deep in the canyon reception is always fine. No idea why this happens, but my guess is the signal bounces off the rock walls which are at different distances to the transmitter and return at different intervals and distort the image. Not a big problem and the Zebra always occurs slowly so adjustments can be made.

Thanks. The biggest problem I have had down low in deep rock canyons is Zebra pattern on the iPhone screen. Strangely, this occurs when the transmitter is close to the drone rather than far. Even 200 yards away with perfect VLOS I have had heavy Zebra pattern occur which usually begins at the bottom of the screen and rises, sometimes occurring on one side of the screen only. This happened in the Notch, so only one wall was visible, the other mostly obscured by zebra, thus I steered closer to the visible wall. In every case this happens only in deep canyons in close proximity to the transmitter. When I am positioned with the transmitter out of the canyon on the desert floor with the drone deep in the canyon reception is always fine. No idea why this happens, but my guess is the signal bounces off the rock walls which are at different distances to the transmitter and return at different intervals and distort the image. Not a big problem and the Zebra always occurs slowly so adjustments can be made.
I have gone into ATTI down in the narrow canyons of SE Utah. The best solution is a quick vertical ascent, back into GPS satellite visibility. I did try backing at full speed into a sandstone wall once, but I've pretty much gone over to using the vertical ascent method instead. ?

The Zebra thing is new to me. Like you, I'll wager it has to do with radio resonance off the rock. I can imagine some garbled flight-control communications, too. If that's happening, it apparently isn't causing a noticeable problem.

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the very cold and Windy City.
Was impressed with your flying at such a young age, especially flying that distance, and into the canyons.
I am going to be 75, and don't have that much confidence to do something like you did.
I enjoy, everybody's video, especially videos like yours, I have never flown beyond VLOS.
I enjoy watching the rest of you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98