DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

gyroscope disconnected, accelerometer disconnected

MAIRMPRO

Reactions
My Mavic air never calibrated compass outside of the US, since brand new. It used to fly very well, as long as I was in the 48 states, every now and then it requested compass calibration, but it calibrated quickly (as long as I was in the United States).

I did not fly it for several months, almost a year, and then I tried to fly it again this year and on the first try...

...it says "main controller data error". Now, not only it does not calibrate compass not even in the US, it doesn't calibrate IMU either. Lots of errors... It does not even let you start the IMU calibration. Looking at the IMU data, it says gyroscope disconnected and accelerometer disconnected.

Of course, DJI service is not able to help me via chat. They ask me to send the unit to their authorized repair $hop, which will then mean I'm going to be subjected to $$$ (just for a technician to see it it will cost me $65. And then they will charge me for parts and labor... you can imagine the co$t of this service until I see my AC back and plu$ $hipping).

Meanwhile, my Mavic Pro had a gymbal problem, when, while transporting it, the gimbal cap fell off while I was walking, the cap was lose (the AC was in the Mavic bag and properly set in it), it eventually damaged the gimbal. When trying to fly, it said something like overload in the gimbal, and would never do its thing anymore. After going on Youtube, I learned how to fix it, there are two options: for 10 dollars you by the flex ribbon cable (the one transmitting commands to the axles of the gimbal) and change it yourself or for about $200 or less (depending how corageous you are) you can get an entire assembled gimbal with the flex ribbon already mounted. I tried the flex ribbon cable before but that was one heck of a job, and I may still do it since I have the ribbon and the original gimbal. But I gave up on that and splurged on a complete gimbal. In 30 minutes My Mavic Pro was fixed. I bought a magnified lamp for the job, since my eyesight is challenged, so add $50 to the tally.

Being successful with my Mavic Pro led me to think I can fix the Mavic Air as well. The question is: 1) is my problem the IMU module? On you tube there's a guy who removes the IMU module and heats it up with a hair dryer and puts it back on its Mavic Air and voilà (yes, it is voilà and not viola) problem solved. But his Mavic Air problem, according to what he shows on the video, was gyroscope and accelerometer "error". In my case, it is gyroscope and accelerometer "disconnected". That is, it could be a different problem.

If the problem is with the IMU module, it costs $19-20, or zero dollars iif it is about heating the thing up.

If the problem is with the ESC Circuit Board module, it is about $89-90

It is not likely to be both (20 + 90 = 110). But how would I know which one to buy? Only if you've been through this before (or a DJI technician would have the guts to tell me).

The problem could also be on the Remote Control which has its own power module (about $40 to $50)... but let's first try the AC as the source of the problem.

Either way, it will cost me a lot less than sending it to Mavic for repair.

Has anyone experienced any of these errors? Was it a hardware issue? Have you worked on your Mavic Air? Since I'm at a loss with this POS, I figure the worse it can happen is I will throw another $110 or $160 dollars down the drain. Then at least it will clear my consciousness for when I stare at this thing and break it with a hammer, I promise I will make a video of it, and then buy something else. :)

Thanks!

The Mavic Air is NOT easy to take apart. I did mine to fix a damaged back arm. I've included a pic of the upper circuit board. On the lower side the black box is the gyro/IMU module. Looks like there is a ribbon cable connecting this to the main board. Maybe just disconnecting and reconnecting this cable will re-energize the IMU.
DSC02092.JPG

The Mavic Air is NOT easy to take apart. I did mine to fix a damaged back arm. I've included a pic of the upper circuit board. On the lower side the black box is the gyro/IMU module. Looks like there is a ribbon cable connecting this to the main board. Maybe just disconnecting and reconnecting this cable will re-energize the IMU.
View attachment 77662
Thanks!!! I saw two videos of folks taking their Mavic Air apart. It seemed similar to the Mavic Pro. The hardest part seemed to be to take the top plastic cover... but one of them showed a nice technique for doing it using a plastic card (like a hotel key card, or old credit card). Some guy in Malaysia (or...?) took the IMU module out and heated it with a hair dryer and it solved his problem.

Took my top cover off with plastic tools for removing iPhone screens. One of them almost like a guitar pick. It's essential to first remove the two screws at the front by the gimbal. They are Philips headed screws with rubber blob in the middle that must be scraped off first. They are only there to let DJI know someone took the drone cover off. I never put them back on reassembly. Also be sure to free the clips that hold the camera ribbon cable before removing the inner black cover.

Took my top cover off with plastic tools for removing iPhone screens. One of them almost like a guitar pick. It's essential to first remove the two screws at the front by the gimbal. They are Philips headed screws with rubber blob in the middle that must be scraped off first. They are only there to let DJI know someone took the drone cover off. I never put them back on reassembly. Also be sure to free the clips that hold the camera ribbon cable before removing the inner black cover.

Thanks! Yes on both videos I've seen them showing how they removed the two screws on either side of the gimbal/camera assembly. I think plastic tools are key, so there is no damage to remove plastic covers and also those flimsy flex ribbon cables and their micro connections.

Thanks! Yes on both videos I've seen them showing how they removed the two screws on either side of the gimbal/camera assembly. I think plastic tools are key, so there is no damage to remove plastic covers and also those flimsy flex ribbon cables and their micro connections.
Heyo!
So did you ever get it to work? I am having the same issue and was just wondering if playing with the plug would help or trying the heating solution.

View attachment 77662

It was extremely easy to take apart, easier than expected, one-hour following a German video. And the IMU was the solution, $18 dollars and it is flying again!

I have a replacement drone that I thought was brand new - it doesn't have the screws by the gimble. Just a little note to add.

View attachment 77662
With the exception of removing the cover, the Mavic Air is moderately easy to take apart. Be sure to remove the microSD card. You will not need to extract the board or remove the fan to access the IMU and remove it. You will need to be careful not to open the board too far (it will hinge outward) because there will still be some wires attached. Be very careful, go slowly and anticipate where screws might fall if they get away from you. If you cannot handle this, then by all means go for the full disassembly.

My Mavic air never calibrated compass outside of the US, since brand new. It used to fly very well, as long as I was in the 48 states, every now and then it requested compass calibration, but it calibrated quickly (as long as I was in the United States).

I did not fly it for several months, almost a year, and then I tried to fly it again this year and on the first try...

...it says "main controller data error". Now, not only it does not calibrate compass not even in the US, it doesn't calibrate IMU either. Lots of errors... It does not even let you start the IMU calibration. Looking at the IMU data, it says gyroscope disconnected and accelerometer disconnected.

Of course, DJI service is not able to help me via chat. They ask me to send the unit to their authorized repair $hop, which will then mean I'm going to be subjected to $$$ (just for a technician to see it it will cost me $65. And then they will charge me for parts and labor... you can imagine the co$t of this service until I see my AC back and plu$ $hipping).

Meanwhile, my Mavic Pro had a gymbal problem, when, while transporting it, the gimbal cap fell off while I was walking, the cap was lose (the AC was in the Mavic bag and properly set in it), it eventually damaged the gimbal. When trying to fly, it said something like overload in the gimbal, and would never do its thing anymore. After going on Youtube, I learned how to fix it, there are two options: for 10 dollars you by the flex ribbon cable (the one transmitting commands to the axles of the gimbal) and change it yourself or for about $200 or less (depending how corageous you are) you can get an entire assembled gimbal with the flex ribbon already mounted. I tried the flex ribbon cable before but that was one heck of a job, and I may still do it since I have the ribbon and the original gimbal. But I gave up on that and splurged on a complete gimbal. In 30 minutes My Mavic Pro was fixed. I bought a magnified lamp for the job, since my eyesight is challenged, so add $50 to the tally.

Being successful with my Mavic Pro led me to think I can fix the Mavic Air as well. The question is: 1) is my problem the IMU module? On you tube there's a guy who removes the IMU module and heats it up with a hair dryer and puts it back on its Mavic Air and voilà (yes, it is voilà and not viola) problem solved. But his Mavic Air problem, according to what he shows on the video, was gyroscope and accelerometer "error". In my case, it is gyroscope and accelerometer "disconnected". That is, it could be a different problem.

If the problem is with the IMU module, it costs $19-20, or zero dollars iif it is about heating the thing up.

If the problem is with the ESC Circuit Board module, it is about $89-90

It is not likely to be both (20 + 90 = 110). But how would I know which one to buy? Only if you've been through this before (or a DJI technician would have the guts to tell me).

The problem could also be on the Remote Control which has its own power module (about $40 to $50)... but let's first try the AC as the source of the problem.

Either way, it will cost me a lot less than sending it to Mavic for repair.

Has anyone experienced any of these errors? Was it a hardware issue? Have you worked on your Mavic Air? Since I'm at a loss with this POS, I figure the worse it can happen is I will throw another $110 or $160 dollars down the drain. Then at least it will clear my consciousness for when I stare at this thing and break it with a hammer, I promise I will make a video of it, and then buy something else. :)

Thanks!
Does anybody have any further information on why the disconnected message is there as opposed to and indication of missing data? Maybe if bad data is received, it puts up "Disconnected"? If not, then I really have to wonder if the hardware sense an actual physical disconnection. I re-seated the IMU, but got the same error. I may next try some anti-oxidation contact cleaner.

Does anybody have any further information on why the disconnected message is there as opposed to and indication of missing data? Maybe if bad data is received, it puts up "Disconnected"? If not, then I really have to wonder if the hardware sense an actual physical disconnection. I re-seated the IMU, but got the same error. I may next try some anti-oxidation contact cleaner.
Hey,
I am having the same issue, I have replaced the IMU but I am getting the same errors. Curious if you managed. to get it working.

Thanks

Hey,
I am having the same issue, I have replaced the IMU but I am getting the same errors. Curious if you managed. to get it working.

Thanks
No, not yet. I also replaced the IMU and get "Gimbal cannot receive main controller data" and so forth. That's odd because the gimbal moves when doing a calibration, although the calibration doesn't finish. I really suspect that DJI has a routine that the repair facilities use to marry new parts to the aircraft and until that is done, they are rejected. I am now looking for a way to get around the inability to downgrade 0620. I really want to try a lower firmware and see if this problems either goes away or changes in behavior.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada