DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

H. 265 D-LOG MP2??

useitorloseit

Reactions
So hopefully someome can help me, i got the MP2 and was excited to film in H. 265 and DLOG color, 10 bit however as i started to attempt to watch this stuff on a Macbook Air, I7 processor 4gig ram this things has handled everything i can throw at it with my MP, MA, Yuneec Typhoon... Etc plays smooth as can be obviously I create Proxies in Premiere to speed it up...etc well i have owned the MP2 for a week now and i cant get one mov to play smoothly, they all lag, stutter... Etc so i went to refly and change it to H. 264 found out my only option is normal color??? I really dont get it can someone please help me to understand how i use all these great new features if it wont even play the movies??? Pics are amazing but still getting everything down.

Ok so I am assuming you are saying there is nothing I can do? I can not shoot in H .265 codec? Nor use DLOG? I am just confused unless I purchase another computer?

Ok so I am assuming you are saying there is nothing I can do? I can not shoot in H .265 codec? Nor use DLOG? I am just confused unless I purchase another computer?

I think that you can make it work using proxies, but it's obviously not ideal. Or you could transcode the H.265 to H.264 before editing, which would preserve the quality but increase the file size. The latest MacBook Pros handle H.265 just fine, but that's not a trivial investment.

Ok I am going to try to do that now, I am really bummed man that literally takes away a TON of the advantages of the MP2 to not be able to film in H .265 and DLOG 10 bit color right? anyway I am going to mess with it now and see what happens?

Your computer CPU is too old/dated to playback 10 bit H265 in real time. Simple as that. You need a newer system.

However, its not an issue. 10 bit d-log is not designed to be watched raw from the drone. It always needs post-processing. That means simply creating proxies with premiere then editing it as part of a workflow means its not a problem.

Your computer CPU is too old/dated to playback 10 bit H265 in real time. Simple as that. You need a newer system.

However, its not an issue. 10 bit d-log is not designed to be watched raw from the drone. It always needs post-processing. That means simply creating proxies with premiere then editing it as part of a workflow means its not a problem.
Ok i was hoping that, so when i am done editing how should i export so it can be viewed? Thanks for your time

So hopefully someome can help me, i got the MP2 and was excited to film in H. 265 and DLOG color, 10 bit however as i started to attempt to watch this stuff on a Macbook Air, I7 processor 4gig ram this things has handled everything i can throw at it with my MP, MA, Yuneec Typhoon... Etc plays smooth as can be obviously I create Proxies in Premiere to speed it up...etc well i have owned the MP2 for a week now and i cant get one mov to play smoothly, they all lag, stutter... Etc so i went to refly and change it to H. 264 found out my only option is normal color??? I really dont get it can someone please help me to understand how i use all these great new features if it wont even play the movies??? Pics are amazing but still getting everything down.
H265 needs a hardware decoder, an Nvidia or amd card. Use any video editor to run a conversion of dlog-m stream into rec.709 h264 using LUT file from dji download area

If you have no editor - davinci resolve v15 also exists for mac, i was told, and it is free.
If you only watched unconverted h265 dlog-m, you will be amazed how good real colors from m2p look like, after you get it into rec.709.

Last edited:
Reactions: useitorloseit
H265 needs a hardware decoder, an Nvidia or amd card. Use any video editor to run a conversion of dlog-m stream into rec.709 h264 using LUT file from dji download area

If you have no editor - davinci resolve v15 also exists for mac, i was told, and it is free.
If you only watched unconverted h265 dlog-m, you will be amazed how good real colors from m2p look like, after you get it into rec.709.
Thank you yes i downloaded that same day i got the drone and i use premier for post. So I apply the LUT directly to the dlog, i created proxies and havent messed with it. Sorry this is new to me so if you dont mind when do i apply LUT? As i would any other?

Thank you yes i downloaded that same day i got the drone and i use premier for post. So I apply the LUT directly to the dlog, i created proxies and havent messed with it. Sorry this is new to me so if you dont mind when do i apply LUT? As i would any other?
hi, you probably missed it but it had a guide in there as well - i only looked at the resolve steps on how to apply a LUT. it is done in a generic color correction step there, should be similar for the premiere pro x.
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_2/DLog M to Rec. 709 LUT User Guide.pdf

Thank you man I really appreciate that thats my project this morning lol
no prob, glad i could help.
also noe that guide has lens correction values, if you want to correct distortion - but, that step takes forever to process. correction of the 1min video on my 4ghz 6core system was chewing it for 23min. so i gave up and for now only shoot in 4K HQ mode as distortion amount in that mode is negligent.

I edit h265 on a 7yr old macbook pro at home, you soon get used to working with proxie footage, i tend to leave them encoding overnight then edit the following morning (depending on how much footage) just remember to turn off the proxies before exporting the final edit. It is much easier on the MAC Pro beast I have at work, but that cost a small fortune so no way I'd buy one for home.

no prob, glad i could help.
also noe that guide has lens correction values, if you want to correct distortion - but, that step takes forever to process. correction of the 1min video on my 4ghz 6core system was chewing it for 23min. so i gave up and for now only shoot in 4K HQ mode as distortion amount in that mode is negligent.

Sounds like dodgy software for that.
Premiere Pro lens distortion correction doesn't add any time at all onto my render time.

Well so far I am really not impressed with his entire H 265 Dlog blah blah blah, sounds like gonna have to buy another couple thousand dollars to even utilize what DJI has done for us. I am trying to work with proxies but frankly when I apply that LUT it looks horrible? I don't know? I have to be something wrong.

Why do you need to spent money to utilise something? Its not DJIs fault end user hardware of some people cant cope with it. They provided the technology. Its like complaining you cant play a newly released computer game in full detail on a 5 year old computer.

7th generation Intel CPUs are needed for 10 bit H265 playback. These were released in Q4 2016 so we're not talking about needing a new, ultra modern PC here - the processors have been around 2.5 years (and 8th and 9th gen are out now).

Its not an issue. Dlog is NOT designed to be viewed as a finished, unedited video. Its raw footage. It has to be edited. Once its been edited and exported the original H265 is irrelevant. Just create a proxy. Job done.
Or just shoot in 8 bit if you're not prepared to edit.

A LUT is simply a starting point for colour grading. Its down to personal preference. If you dont like the output of a LUT then use a different one or create your own or even apply it as a percentage not full. Its not designed as a finished product.

Again, if you dont want to edit videos, edit colours or customise them you don't need to use Dlog - you need to use the 8 bit normal profile which comes ready sharpened, colour graded and ready to go.

Dlog-M is video designed to be edited. It has to be.

Last edited:
Some are pleased with the result from their M2s shooting in Normal.

The issues with D-Log have been known since it came out; a little research would have kept surprises to a minimum. I downloaded D-log files before I bought to insure my computer would not have issues.

Reactions: fozzzy
You feel better now? I started off this entire post humble, saying I was new to cinematography but if going on and on into some rant the cool I hope you feel really important. You were helpful but this reply was of no use and served only a self serving essay. Either way thanks for the time
Why do you need to spent money to utilise something? Its not DJIs fault end user hardware of some people cant cope with it. They provided the technology. Its like complaining you cant play a newly released computer game in full detail on a 5 year old computer.

7th generation Intel CPUs are needed for 10 bit H265 playback. These were released in Q4 2016 so we're not talking about needing a new, ultra modern PC here - the processors have been around 2.5 years (and 8th and 9th gen are out now).

Its not an issue. Dlog is NOT designed to be viewed as a finished, unedited video. Its raw footage. It has to be edited. Once its been edited and exported the original H265 is irrelevant. Just create a proxy. Job done.
Or just shoot in 8 bit if you're not prepared to edit.

A LUT is simply a starting point for colour grading. Its down to personal preference. If you dont like the output of a LUT then use a different one or create your own or even apply it as a percentage not full. Its not designed as a finished product.

Again, if you dont want to edit videos, edit colours or customise them you don't need to use Dlog - you need to use the 8 bit normal profile which comes ready sharpened, colour graded and ready to go.

Dlog-M is video designed to be edited. It has to be.

Reactions: Point Zero
It's a useful point for others to read, there are dozens of threads here from new M2P owners shocked that their computer struggles to play H.265 let alone edit the files.
However as pointed out there are solutions without spending on a new computer.

H.265 will almost always need to be exported as H.264 anyway because most people viewing it would be stuck too. H.265 D-Log is like a RAW file in photography, the purpose is to record the scene with maximum dynamic range, it is expected to look pretty awful until at least basic processing is applied but you can recover detail from highlights and shadows far better.

Reactions: TR Ganey
UIOLI: G was just trying to help but it is quite easy to feel frustration when you continue to read those same help questions that you've seen over and over again. The problem is, few people who get M2's, take the time to read previous posts and to some extent, that's understandable since there are SO many. Perhaps I can help with your issue.

- On your timeline, select the first clip to which you would like to apply the REC709 LUT.

- Find the "Lumetri Color" panel (typically upper right on default Premiere installs) and click on it to open.

- In the "Basic Correction" (first panel) click on the "Input LUT" field, then click on "Browse" and navigate to the folder where you've saved the REC709 LUT. Find it and select it.

- You will immediately see an improvement in the image on the Program Monitor. Make any small changes you desire via the sliders in the other panels, (Creative, Curves, Color Wheels, etc.) and you're almost finished.

- Now, if you have more clips from the M2P on the timeline, you can quickly "paste" the Lumetri correction to all of them at once. To do that:

- With the same clip still highlighted, right click on it and choose "Copy."

- Now, using the mouse, drag over the remaining M2P clips to highlight them and finally,

- Right click on one of them and choose "Paste Attributes."

- In the resulting dialog box, just hit <Enter> and don't be confused by all the other checked items listed like Motion, Position, etc. If the clips were all shot with the M2 and at the same frame rate (and you haven't changed the playback speed of any of them or parts of them and you haven't resized or moved the output window in the Program Monitor window,) those other items are the same for all clips and thus, won't hurt anything with "Paste."

- That will copy the REC709 LUT values and any adjustments you made manually, to the remaining clips.

If you are using proxies, the feed in the Program Monitor will only have the resolution you chose to create the proxies so make sure the PM is at 100 percent resolution, (the viewing size is up to you.) However, when you export to an H.264 file, Premiere will apply all those corrections to the native M2P Dlog files and you should have no issues playing the clip(s) back with an older computer or phone/tablet/TV. at full resolution using the H.264 container.

Since you said your clips look horrible when you applied the LUT, you definitely did something the wrong way OR, you applied a LUT more than once. That will most assuredly make the clip look bizarre.

Hope that is helpful...

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest