DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

H.265 vs ProRes 422HQ. Sample footage?

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
Just wondering if any sample footage exists from the 2 versions of the Mavic 3 for comparison and general evaluation purposes?

Basically, I’d like to side by side them in a few different shooting conditions to see how they compare.

Most interested in:
- High speed flight (does compression cause artifices with big changes between frames).
- High iso (low light) conditions.
- Poorly exposed images (over/under) and recovery.
- Large creative grade (big colour shifts)
- d-log vs hasselblad color profiles.
- any others of interest.

If this doesn’t exist yet, maybe someone could make it? :) Here in Australia… that’s a question that makes over $3000 difference…

Also… even if I would personally be fine with h.265 footage, can anyone suggest some reasons I might want ProRes anyway? Eg: clients will prefer it, I can charge more, it will save me from many exposure errors etc.

Just wondering if any sample footage exists from the 2 versions of the Mavic 3 for comparison and general evaluation purposes?

Basically, I’d like to side by side them in a few different shooting conditions to see how they compare.

Most interested in:
- High speed flight (does compression cause artifices with big changes between frames).

If this doesn’t exist yet, maybe someone could make it? :) Here in Australia… that’s a question that makes over $3000 difference…

Also… even if I would personally be fine with h.265 footage, can anyone suggest some reasons I might want ProRes anyway? Eg: clients will prefer it, I can charge more, it will save me from many exposure errors etc.
If you need prores you would know. You won’t tell the difference unless you do heavy grading.

Most interested in:

I'm interested too. Hopefully some reviewer will show sample footage of both at some point. The only comparison I can make is tangential. I have a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k that has a 4/3 sensor and shoots both raw and prores. I prefer raw. It is not a monster low light camera. Both my Nikon D850 and Z6 do better. Color graded images between the BMPCC and my Mavic 2 pro are worlds apart. The BMPCC has far more latitude even shooting dlog h265 on the Mavic. Personally, I have interest in the base Mavic 3 pro. They are tacking $300.00 on the the fly more for the bag so that's out for me. The cine Mavic is out too. I don't find prores that beneficial for me and I don't shoot commercially, so there is no demand for it. Sorry, only opinions. Maybe we'll learn more as time goes by.

Reactions: Point Zero

Most interested in:

These are the big questions we all want answered, I think eventually they will have to reduce the price of the cine package to sell it, but it may already be too late.

Billy Kyle posted several samples from the M3 Cine model to his DropBox account. DLog folder has ProRes 4:2:2.

And DroneXL posted some samples as well - Download DJI Mavic 3 sample photos and video footage here
The trouble is Billy's are in 1080 HD and Drone XL's are only in UHD, not even 4K, let alone 5.1K. Without files in 5.1K in the different formats they are basically useless to many pros.

Reactions: mrprawn

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-10 085148.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-10 085148.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 15
Hmmm, don't know much about dropbox, maybe I'm just looking at a preview
When I opened it up for a preview it gave me the option to download, so I did and looked it over in Resolve.

Attachments

• Corrected Screen Shot.png
    Corrected Screen Shot.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 30
Still looks a bit "hot" and a soft image
It's not gonna rival a Red or an Ursa Mini. You might be able to alter the "hot" aspect with further color grading if you wanted to.

It's not gonna rival a Red or an Ursa Mini. You might be able to alter the "hot" aspect with further color grading if you wanted to.
I think it's just the light where that guy's from and time of day, I would rarely shoot at that time. Funny thing in one of his videos he goes on about only needing 8ND on cloudy days and 16ND on sunny ones. Most of the time here in the Australian desert I am shooting with a 32 and if I really needed to do middle of the day, a 64.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
The trouble is Billy's are in 1080 HD and Drone XL's are only in UHD, not even 4K, let alone 5.1K. Without files in 5.1K in the different formats they are basically useless to many pros.
You must be looking at the wrong files then. Here's the
codec data from DJI_0023.MOV in the DLog folder. It is showing Apple ProRes 422 HQ with a video resolution of 5120x2700 (5.1K).
1636565472326.png

DroneXL is using Apple ProRes 422 HQ with a a video resolution of 3840x2160 which is 4K (UHD).
1636565854584.png

I think it's just the light where that guy's from and time of day, I would rarely shoot at that time. Funny thing in one of his videos he goes on about only needing 8ND on cloudy days and 16ND on sunny ones. Most of the time here in the Australian desert I am shooting with a 32 and if I really needed to do middle of the day, a 64.
I would also add the ground coverage has a big factor on the ND used as well. An arid landscape with with white, brownish, orange, or reddish exposed soil will reflect much more light than say a dark green forested landscape.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S