DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Had a bad experience on 2nd flight out advice please

Markah2007

Reactions
So i used the mavic multiple times at home on my first ever session take off fly around rth to check it works as it should no issues. Now today on holiday went out into the country side a mile away from anything as everywhere i go no one wants me flying so it all started off as normal although was starting to get dark but thought ill quickly get 20 mins in before it gets to dark. It all connected i only flew up 130ft and about 100 feet away and it said low light sensors unable to work so i thought thats fine ill fly without them and then it disconnected after a while the drone returned to take off point and refused to land on grass. So i turned rc off and on and it said gps but disconnected on app and still would not let me control the drone by rc. Reset the app and still said disconnected and i had to hold the drone and only way to stop it was to pull the battery out. I hope that didnt damage the software pulling the battery any advice scared to fly it now lol

Reactions: Flying Hun
Your RC was connected based on what you said. It sounds like you panicked. Your cord that connects the RC to your phone may be bad. Check to make sure it works right.

Reactions: Rnl and jdcntulsa
Your RC was connected based on what you said. It sounds like you panicked. Your cord that connects the RC to your phone may be bad. Check to make sure it works right.
Hi thanks for helping i thought it looks as though the rc is connected at the time but it couldnt have been it returned home by itself and i couldnt control the drone with rc at all couldnt move it or land it so i turned rc off and back on still same where normally it would then say atti mode and let me control it just got gps stuck on rc screen although dji app was saying disconnected so couldnt have gps ?

Reactions: Flying Hun
Great people on this board will analyze your log files and hopefully be able to determine what happened.

Reactions: BigEegit
What sort of data do the flight logs contain? What will you be looking for, specifically?

So i used the mavic multiple times at home on my first ever session take off fly around rth to check it works as it should no issues. Now today on holiday went out into the country side a mile away from anything as everywhere i go no one wants me flying so it all started off as normal although was starting to get dark but thought ill quickly get 20 mins in before it gets to dark. It all connected i only flew up 130ft and about 100 feet away and it said low light sensors unable to work so i thought thats fine ill fly without them and then it disconnected after a while the drone returned to take off point and refused to land on grass. So i turned rc off and on and it said gps but disconnected on app and still would not let me control the drone by rc. Reset the app and still said disconnected and i had to hold the drone and only way to stop it was to pull the battery out. I hope that didnt damage the software pulling the battery any advice scared to fly it now lol

Sound a little dangerous resetting the app during a flight tho. Hopefully with your log files you will be able to determine what actually happened

Def sounds like RC disconnect.

I had near exact same thing happen after updating FW at one point. (0.550 i believe)
Down-graded FW and fixed issue.

Make sure your device is in aeroplane mode as well. ( < i would start here if not tried)
Thats what im going to try next i was originally going to fly in aeroplane mode but when testing at home last week it worked perfect on 3 or 4 flights and i was getting txts at same time no issues but this time as soon as i started flying it just didnt go to plan lol. Im 100% it was rc disconnect because ive practiced around inside my house where gps keeps dropping and it would just go atti or opti mode and i can still control it.

Sound a little dangerous resetting the app during a flight tho. Hopefully with your log files you will be able to determine what actually happened
If the quadcopter has a return to home point i dont think its dangerous it will just rth if anything happens

Yes you can, but if you keep using the Mavic, the important file we want to look at will eventually be lost.
How long or how many flights will make me lose the data i was hoping to fly it at least once on holiday do you think one or two flights will lose it ? I was going to try again tomorrow in aeroplane mode and a different lead off my phone charger connected to bottom of rc

Try one at a time if you could.

pita having cable coming from bottom outlet, but may help with diagnosis, but i cant see the cable having an effect on the RC disconnected from the aircraft. More to do with device imo.

Also remember to use the pause button on the RC if inside flying and RTH is triggered.
Thx bud ill try aeroplane mode first with the same cable. Is there a way to stop the quadcopter if rc wont connect again as i tried to press power button did nothing had to pull battery out and nearly cut my fingers

Im not aware of any way to shut it down without pulling the battery in that scenario.
Seems like you might have a few things going on.
Might have to consider FW up/down grade if you dont have any success.
Thanks well waethers starting to look abit better so i might be able to do some testing later on today ill let you know how i get on. Cheers really appreciate it

How long or how many flights will make me lose the data i was hoping to fly it at least once on holiday do you think one or two flights will lose it ? I was going to try again tomorrow in aeroplane mode and a different lead off my phone charger connected to bottom of rc
Every time the drone is powered on, it writes a new file and deletes an old one. I would image no more than 5 cycles, if you want to be safe.

Every time the drone is powered on, it writes a new file and deletes an old one. I would image no more than 5 cycles, if you want to be safe.
Cheers well im on holiday in brean and ive had nothing but rain for the last few days so no worry about going past 5 flights i went to brean downs the other day when it was sunny and they wouldnt let me fly as its owned by national trust brilliant cant even fly off a huge cliff out at sea

Recording .DAT files to the Mavic internal SD card will start deleting older .DAT files when it gets to about 3000 Gbytes. (The SD card is actually 4000 Gbytes, but it starts recycling at 3000 Gbytes) The size of an individual .DAT is roughly .11 Mbytes per second of battery on. So that's about 454 minutes. That's enough to hold about 25 18 minute flights. Here, a "flight" duration is actually the length of time the battery is turned on, not necessarily the length of time the Mavic is in the air.

Reactions: Cyberpower678
Recording .DAT files to the Mavic internal SD card will start deleting older .DAT files when it gets to about 3000 Gbytes. (The SD card is actually 4000 Gbytes, but it starts recycling at 3000 Gbytes) The size of an individual .DAT is roughly .11 Mbytes per second of battery on. So that's about 454 minutes. That's enough to hold about 25 18 minute flights. Here, a "flight" duration is actually the length of time the battery is turned on, not necessarily the length of time the Mavic is in the air.
Brill very precise thank you interesting info

This might be stupid question but even though the Mavic was unresponsive to other stick commands did you try both sticks "in and down"? That's how you kill the motors. It would be helpful to know if even that stopped working too.
Rob

I'd be hesitant to put it back into the air until I had a better idea of what went wrong.

Reactions: RobP62
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest