DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Had My First Flyaway Tonight With My Air 2....

VenomXts

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Start off by saying it was my fault and no damage but man did it remind me these things need to be watched (already respected them).

So the grass in front of my backyard porch (attached) is a little long so I have been just taking off from under it and flying out about 10 ft and then waiting for GPS lock and a home point set before I do anything. Well tonight, I was getting ready to catch a sunset so it was already getting dark and I fly it out there and was getting impatient I didn't have GPS lock yet so started flying it around the yard but not taking it up.. well a little into that I moved it somehow and the **** thing just started running to the left towards an oleander bush without me giving it input. Some limited instinct kicked in and i pushed the stick down and it managed to come down and land before it hit the bush/fence... Started it back up got lock and did a flight check and everything seemed fine.. long story short i can only imagine that in a different scenario or my options not being to put down... Lesson learned respect that gps and home point set wait no matter how long its taking..

Attachments

• DJI_0296.JPG
    DJI_0296.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 215
It only takes a fraction longer to wait for GPS without takeoff, and if you need take off height to catch a good GPS homepoint, that is usually a bad home point to start with...

Glad you're ok. Thanks for reminding us.

Reactions: RonanCork
It only takes a fraction longer to wait for GPS without takeoff, and if you need take off height to catch a good GPS homepoint, that is usually a bad home point to start with...

Glad you're ok. Thanks for reminding us.

I agree, its really was me being lazy and not throwing something out in the grass to take off of. Lesson learned tonight..

I didn't have GPS lock yet so started flying it around the yard but not taking it up.. /QUOTE]
With your house and trees blocking the skyview, you would get GPS better by climbing higher above your yard.

ps .. you didn't have a "flyaway"

Reactions: InvisibleName
ps .. you didn't have a "flyaway"

Did I mess that definition up? Or does it only count if you don't get it back in one piece. It did fly away on its own albeit not far lol.

Did I mess that definition up? Or does it only count if you don't get it back in one piece. It did fly away on its own albeit not far lol.
Your drone just made a little movement you weren't expecting.
It didn't fly away.

Your drone just made a little movement you weren't expecting.
It didn't fly away.
@Meta4 I know this is just guessing without flight data, but is it most likely it was in ATTI mode due to lack of GPS and, with low light, the optical sensors couldn’t work too well. Consequently, once the drone started drifting, it just kept going until he landed it?

@Meta4 I know this is just guessing without flight data, but is it most likely it was in ATTI mode due to lack of GPS and, with low light, the optical sensors couldn’t work too well. Consequently, once the drone started drifting, it just kept going until he landed it?
It will be something like that, drifting in atti mode would have been a factor.

I’m on Venom’s side on this.
It was flying. It did some uncommanded stuff.
It was a flyaway.
Some flyaways are not as extreme as others.

Start off by saying it was my fault and no damage but man did it remind me these things need to be watched (already respected them).

So the grass in front of my backyard porch (attached) is a little long so I have been just taking off from under it and flying out about 10 ft and then waiting for GPS lock and a home point set before I do anything. Well tonight, I was getting ready to catch a sunset so it was already getting dark and I fly it out there and was getting impatient I didn't have GPS lock yet so started flying it around the yard but not taking it up.. well a little into that I moved it somehow and the **** thing just started running to the left towards an oleander bush without me giving it input. Some limited instinct kicked in and i pushed the stick down and it managed to come down and land before it hit the bush/fence... Started it back up got lock and did a flight check and everything seemed fine.. long story short i can only imagine that in a different scenario or my options not being to put down... Lesson learned respect that gps and home point set wait no matter how long its taking..

A sunset will always come back tomorrow. But a lost or damaged drone. Not so much.

Reactions: hidroela and esco
I’m on Venom’s side on this.
It was flying. It did some uncommanded stuff.
It was a flyaway.
Some flyaways are not as extreme as others.
There are plenty of cases of people losing their drones and not understanding the cause but there is no such thing as a "flyaway".
A little unexpected movement, that's easily explainable is not the drone flying away.
The most effective "flyaway" prevention is understanding how your drone works and how to manage it in the flying environment.

All, I am not going to argue flyaway or not im just glad the drone is ok, this was a learning experience and a stupid mistake on my part. I was curious so checked the flying data myself.

Definitely a weird one but all user error.... I didn't even know i had flipped it into sport mode as well.

My preflight check is always this:

1) Optional - If I'm in a new location that before, I will calibrate compass.
2) Check the app on phone to make sure I've got 10+ satellites locked.
3) Check that homepoint is updated on map.
4) Check surroundings and set RTH height.
5) Use take off button on app, it will audibly tell you here also that homepoint is updated.. again.. DOUBLE-CHECK on map that it's correct.
6) Give slight controls in all directions to verify drone can be controlled as expected.
7) FLY!

That is a very clear and detailed picture you attached. What settings?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3