DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Halloween - Flying Ghost - any ideas?

Dougcjohn

Reactions
Looked through a few Threads without success...
I've seen some YouTubes, hilarious and great ideas of Flying Ghosts.
Some hanging from under Drone, some using the Drone within the design.
None really touch on what they used to create... material, led lights, etc.

I'd like to acquire or make a Halloween hanging lighted ghost for a Mavic sized craft.
I tried a few years ago but weight was a problem, needed to find lighter components.

Anyone make, have ideas or have link to how to create a light weight lighted ghost?

Something like this? LINK No idea if that's a real product but I assume you can make something similar. Looks pretty fun.
Looks cool... for fun, I asked for a quote since no price displayed.

My preferred choice would be a hanging tissue sheet lighted ghost.

And I'll be around the corner with a hand carried video camera waiting for that gust of wind or older kid to notice ...

And I'll be around the corner with a hand carried video camera waiting for that gust of wind or older kid to notice ...
I've seen a few guys hanging a lighted ghost under a MavicPro... he flew it around his yard slowly, with about 25-30ft drop line so people noticed the ghost not the Mavic. He flew pretty slow, but it looked cute.
He moved later that Spring so I missed my opportunity to examine his setup.

I've seen several on YouTube... looks pretty cute and good laughs.

Reactions: ddnslc
I'd like to acquire or make a Halloween hanging lighted ghost for a Mavic sized craft.
I tried a few years ago but weight was a problem, needed to find lighter components.

Anyone make, have ideas or have link to how to create a light weight lighted ghost?
A Halloween balloon taped to a dry cleaning bag and LED lights that go inside the balloon and some taped inside the bag might work. Myself I'd never risk it where I live. YMMV

Reactions: BigAl07

Walmart sells balloons with LEDs inside them, that light up the entire balloon when inflated with air or even water. I would simply buy these Balloons with LEDs inside , inflate them and put a very thin sheet over it, draw some eyes and a mouth and hang it off the drone at least 15 feet away from the drone. Make sure it's not windy and cruise very slowly.

I've also put those glow sticks that you break the glass inside and inserted them inside balloons and blew them up with air. The glow sticks make the balloons glow really well. Then do the same thing. Hang a thin sheet over it and hang it 15 feet away from your drone.

When you land, DO NOT LAND STRAIGHT DOWN. You have to fly in horizontally, let the ghost sheet slide along the street and then land the drone ahead of it. You want to keep the string and any part of your "ghost" away from the drone's props at all times.

Consider what could happen if something goes sideways and the drone hits a kid on its way down. Lawyers abound.

The lighted balloon with drapery sheers hanging below would reduce the weight. The more open the weave on the sheer the less wind resistance and weight you would have to overcome. Another LumaStick hanging inside the sheer would help light it up if the balloon was not enough.

Send video of your result.

That's great advice. No one here has thought that through. LOL.:eek:

Consider what could happen if something goes sideways and the drone hits a kid on its way down. Lawyers abound.

It all begins with a responsible posture... I'd assume (as myself) everyone has considered that... personally I wouldn't be overhead of the sidewalk & kids... more over the rooftops of homes high enough to provide a fun visual to the sidewalks. Actually, most likely just circling over my home's rooftop.

The desire to have ghost payload hang below craft vs be an integrated part was for the prevention of prop interference. Hanging apx 10-12 ft below keeps payload out of the way and allows ample room to land craft away from ghost payload.

It's a technical line... shouldn't technically be lifting additional payload. Clearly reconized, although for the sprite of Halloween... if possible to keep weight "light", still visible fun and safe... it's a consideration. Partly due to my neighborhood... lends it's self to distance margins where other higher density neighborhoods may not.

Reactions: DoomMeister
All great ideas Everyone!
Thanks for suggestions, and the link to a fly kit... still haven't received a reply on cost back.

The balloons are great... I was thinking of Styrofoam ball... Balloon better! The drap sheer is the part I'm playing with... I was considering HobbyLobby sheets of craft tissue... I think you'd have to "penny" weigh the "ends" down... to prevent upward blowing. Light curtain cloth may work better!

Actually surprised no one hasn't created one yet with the Mavic Forum population and all the YouTubes.... just a wrong assumption! 😕

It all begins with a responsible posture... I'd assume (as myself) everyone has considered that... personally I wouldn't be overhead of the sidewalk & kids... more over the rooftops of homes high enough to provide a fun visual to the sidewalks. Actually, most likely just circling over my home's rooftop.

The desire to have ghost payload hang below craft vs be an integrated part was for the prevention of prop interference. Hanging apx 10-12 ft below keeps payload out of the way and allows ample room to land craft away from ghost payload.

It's a technical line... shouldn't technically be lifting additional payload. Clearly reconized, although for the sprite of Halloween... if possible to keep weight "light", still visible fun and safe... it's a consideration. Partly due to my neighborhood... lends it's self to distance margins where other higher density neighborhoods may not.
I know you would be and are very responsible and wouldn't create a risk for anyone on the ground. You'll probably run test flights before hand as well. I and everyone else know this, so I said what I said because, telling you there could be risks is a mute point. It didn't need to be said. I hope you have someone video the results with a cell phone, we'd all like to see the how it looks. Good luck.

I would try it, but I am just too afraid of crashing my drone. Even though, I do run fishing line with bait out from the shoreline for about 500ft and drop it every so often. It's a great way to fish. But, It makes me very nervous pulling the fishing line and bait out that far though. I only feel relieved after I drop the line.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
I know you would be and are very responsible and wouldn't create a risk for anyone on the ground. You'll probably run test flights before hand as well. I and everyone else know this, so I said what I said because, telling you there could be risks is a mute point. It didn't need to be said. I hope you have someone video the results with a cell phone, we'd all like to see the how it looks. Good luck.

I would try it, but I am just too afraid of crashing my drone. Even though, I do run fishing line with bait out from the shoreline for about 500ft and drop it every so often. It's a great way to fish. But, It makes me very nervous pulling the fishing line and bait out that far though. I only feel relieved after I drop the line.
I understood your mute point, and appreciate the trailing humor. I was attempting to join ya and keep it on the ghost track... not a new track.

I did try this 2 yrs ago.. started the "day" of Halloween and not satisfactory. My tests quickly proved way to risky and heavy... would require a I1 or I2 and that wasn't going to happen.

The fishing line is another interesting one. I just looked for it and couldn't find... older video of M600Pro class actually attempting to pull a fish out of the water... it's gets pulled down to about 10' from surface when the guy released the line... causing the M600Pro to accend quite rapidly for a bit. That would have been a "edge of seat" experience thinking your precious M600Pro was going to splash! So I can relate to the anxiety of dropping your line!

I tested this last night with an MA2, a string, a tennis ball and a dry cleaning bag. No problems with lifting it or maintaining the drone stability but the "ghost" was all over the place. Since I have a lot of trees in my yard, I had to abandon the project. Maybe it would work better if the ghost is weighted down, the wind is very calm and you don't have to deal with trees. Other than that, I'm not good enough to keep it under control.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
Yeah you got to add weight at or near the bottom. To keep it looking inflated you can make a wire ring and tape it to the bag the same way you make flying lanterns.

Reactions: cgmaxed
I tested this last night with an MA2, a string, a tennis ball and a dry cleaning bag. No problems with lifting it or maintaining the drone stability but the "ghost" was all over the place. Since I have a lot of trees in my yard, I had to abandon the project. Maybe it would work better if the ghost is weighted down, the wind is very calm and you don't have to deal with trees. Other than that, I'm not good enough to keep it under control.
Appreciate the test results... I'd agree, calm winds will be a must or drapery (ghost) will need to be very thin to allow air to blow through. The few I've seen on YouTubes, the drapery is long & thin... and flowing nicely under the prop wash.

I thought of helium (party can) to fill balloon to help counter some of the weight of drapery material.

Reactions: DoomMeister

I made one for last Halloween. I made a lightweight frame out of pvc in the shape of a cross then draped white very lightweight cloth over it. At the tip of the cross I wadded up the cloth to make the head. It looked pretty cool at night because the cloth flowed as it moved. Can't add a video here but here is a still just before dark. I also programmed the mission around my neighborhood during the day to be sure the ghost wouldn't hit anything at night. When moving about 5-8 mph the ghost would fan out behind the drone (Mavic 2 Pro). Kids loved it

Attachments

• DSC01260.JPG
    DSC01260.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato