DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand catch mavic nini

lowellton

Reactions
Good day,
I flew yesterday and as i always do i land in my hand and then to my surprise the mini just turn facing me. I did hand catch thrice and it did the same. Any info will be welcome. Thanks

I find hand landing works best when the mini comes down from about 10 metres or so,otherwise -at closer distances-the sensors see my hand and it bounces up and away a bit and "prefers" to land on the ground. My Hubsan Zino Pro -which doesn't have sensors - always executes perfect hand landings!! Which you'd expect of course!!!

Reactions: lowellton
I find hand landing works best when the mini comes down from about 10 metres or so,otherwise -at closer distances-the sensors see my hand and it bounces up and away a bit and "prefers" to land on the ground. My Hubsan Zino Pro -which doesn't have sensors - always executes perfect hand landings!! Which you'd expect of course!!!
I always do hand landing but yesterday is different as i’ve said it turn facing me. Actually i wait for the mini to say what are you doing ?. Enjoy flying ?⚽️?

Reactions: Bonkshagalistic
I've always flown it towards me, and put my hand out underneath it. Possible the downward looking sensors can recognise a hand at the right sort of height and orient the drone accordingly. I've noticed that it doesn't want to land until I pull the stick down and then it seems to say "OK , you want me to hand on that" and always hits the middle of my hand, and quickly shuts off. (This is based on a sample of 10 or 15 catches so not very scientific). I must test and see if it also turns.

Last edited:
I've always flown it towards me, and put my hand out underneath it. Possible the looking sensors can recognise a hand at the right sort of height and orient the drone accordingly. I've noticed that it doesn't want to land until I pull the stick down and then it seems to say "OK , you want me to hand on that" and always hits the middle of my hand, and quickly shuts off. (This is based on a sample of 10 or 15 catches so not very scientific). I must test and see if it also turns.
i’ve been doing hand landing ever since with the mini And thats my first time I experienced that it orient by himself turning facing me. Thanks

i’ve been doing hand landing ever since with the mini And thats my first time I experienced that it orient by himself turning facing me. Thanks
Wonder if while reaching for the mini with one hand and trying to hold the controller with the other and pulling back on the stick, you added a bit of yaw causing the rotation? Having the controller on a lanyard makes it easier to launch and land.

Wonder if while reaching for the mini with one hand and trying to hold the controller with the other and pulling back on the stick, you added a bit of yaw causing the rotation? Having the controller on a lanyard makes it easier to launch and land.
I’ve been thinking that too. I will try hand land again then i will confirm if i pull back the stick.

I’ve been thinking that too. I will try hand land again then i will confirm if i pull back the stick.
Just to clarify. It's not the pulling back that is causing the rotation. You're pulling back on the stick to descend and land and to shut off the motors. You are probably adding the yaw by inadvertently moving the stick slightly sideways at the same time. It's hard to make sure the stick stays centered while pulling back.

I like what @DrizzyDrones says about raising his palm until the motors shut down. I'll have to give that a try.

I've never had mine rotate/yaw when hand catching unless I have accidentally introduced some yaw stick.
I normally have it facing away from me as it helps keep my fingers away from the gimbal

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54