DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand catching in a boat

Kyle76

Reactions
I did my first hand catch from a boat Monday. It was quite windy, and luckily my takeoffs didn’t blow back into the boat T-top or something. I had to begin moving forward immediately and the wind blew it several feet before it began to hover in place. The boat was anchored with the bow, my launching point, naturally facing windward. I did a brief “proof of concept” flight and hand catch before making a longer flight to take some marsh photos and videos for my fisherman friend. The catches were a little nerve-wracking with the bottom sensor wanted to move the drone away from my hand and the front sensor resisting moving too close to the boat, but I got it in hand (more grab than catch) successfully twice. A pic is attached.

Attachments

• 3F4D74C0-7691-4472-BECE-B5667B789993.jpeg
    3F4D74C0-7691-4472-BECE-B5667B789993.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 58
I did my first hand catch from a boat Monday. It was quite windy, and luckily my takeoffs didn’t blow back into the boat T-top or something. I had to begin moving forward immediately and the wind blew it several feet before it began to hover in place. The boat was anchored with the bow, my launching point, naturally facing windward. I did a brief “proof of concept” flight and hand catch before making a longer flight to take some marsh photos and videos for my fisherman friend. The catches were a little nerve-wracking with the bottom sensor wanted to move the drone away from my hand and the front sensor resisting moving too close to the boat, but I got it in hand (more grab than catch) successfully twice. A pic is attached.
Good luck and stay on top of the RTH. At worst get ready for some stitches.

I hand caught my pro but it resisted tried to carry me off how do u shut it down with both hands full?

The boat (and thus your arm/hand) will move around in the wind, current and swell. The drone doesn’t. So it can be very difficult to keep your hand directly under the drone for 5 seconds, to perform the landing.

Of course you can snatch the drone out of the sky, it you’re quick, but if you miss the catch or hit a rotor, your drone will likely be going for a swim.

I do a fair amount of risky stuff when I fly, but I usually try to avoid hand catching while in a boat, if at all possible.

Good luck haha, that's how I lost my first MA2 off the coast of Cozumel. Everyone thought it was hilarious seeing a 6'6 280lb guy dive off a boat trying to save his drone haha. Got some cool footage though

I like it and will be getting to work
On my own for next spring.
Would have been nice to see a video actually catching it on the boat.
I would post my video of my first attempt of a hand catch on the boat. But. Seeing the close up face with mouth wide open in stress for three minutes as the drone kept saying it was going to land in seconds isn’t very nice lol
Thanks for the share

Reactions: TerryToast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent