DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand catching the Mavic?

Yourguide

Reactions
As P2V+ owner for several years, I frequently found the ability to hand catch the returning drone.

Will this still be possible with the Mavic? Perhaps if it's directly overhead and you can grab its mid section?

Just wondering others thoughts on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps if it's directly overhead and you can grab its mid section?
Yes -- this is exactly how a few Mavic reviewers have been hand catching it. You can see an example of Casey Neistat doing it here and here.

Last edited:
Thanks @Advexure and here's a thousand words on the subject.
3f72d006e26476b94f9368ae6e16d491.png

Reactions: Advexure
IMO hand catching a "spider" design multirotor is even better than the Phantom.... with the phantom you are grabbing a somewhat flimsy leg (I always worried about snapping one off) and with the Mavic and other spider designs you are grabbing the body :)

IMO hand catching a "spider" design multirotor is even better than the Phantom.... with the phantom you are grabbing a somewhat flimsy leg (I always worried about snapping one off) and with the Mavic and other spider designs you are grabbing the body :)

Maybe. Your hands will be nearer to the props though. I think for that reason it looks slightly more dangerous.

Maybe. Your hands will be nearer to the props though. I think for that reason it looks slightly more dangerous.
You have to grab pretty high on the Phantom landing gear, or you risk breaking it. The props won't be that much closer.

I am glad to see this as I hand caught both my P2 & P3 99% of the time, just didn't like all of the stuff thrown up by the prop wash. Might want to use one mechanics glove the first few times just in case.

Obviously DJI is not "recommending" hand catching and there's a million lawyers in the USA that justify them so saying. It does look like a doable thing but I'd want to get my hands on the drone first before committing to doing it.

Brian

Obviously DJI is not "recommending" hand catching and there's a million lawyers in the USA that justify them so saying. It does look like a doable thing but I'd want to get my hands on the drone first before committing to doing it.

Brian

Well the cool thing is, you'll at least have to get your hands on it first before getting a chance to do it. :p

Well the cool thing is, you'll at least have to get your hands on it first before getting a chance to do it. :p

Yeah, what I meant was that I need to have it in my own hands so I can see for myself how much clearance there is and how it feels doing it before I'd want to actually try it. Obviously that wont happen until I actually have one and I'm guessing that wont be until early December, maybe later. I have not ordered yet and am waiting to the early guys have a chance to play with it and I can get a sense as to the issues it might have. I'm not going to be an unpaid tester for DJI.

Brian

I did my first hand catch today.... I backed it to me to avoid the collision detection and reached up to grab it... it seemed like it wanted to fly up away from me for just a half a second or so, but I held the left stick down and then it shut off the props.

All in all, it felt really good hand catching it this way. Good to know when clear flat ground is hard to come by.

Reactions: kmaluo
Are you guys swiping the land option, then catching? Or just getting it as low as possible then grabbing it?

It seems dangerous. More so surprising when there is a perfectly good landing spot and they are reaching out to grab it. VPS kicks in and your pulling down on the stick and Mavic is trying to avoid you- just not safe. Especially for the younger audience. *Only when necessary in my Ops manual...

it seemed like it wanted to fly up away from me for just a half a second or so, but I held the left stick down and then it shut off the props.

Of course it would as the downward sensors would tell it to climb right?

Saw this happen live on TV yesterday.
Beau van Erven Dorens had no clue what he was doing!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada