DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand catching the Mavic?

Mr Tic tac

Reactions
Is this a really good idea to hand catch the Mavic? Do the sensors see it and last question, can I land it on a small boat, like what is the accuracy of the precision landing.

Attachments

• IMG_0947.JPG
    IMG_0947.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 56
While it can be done it is not as easy as say a Phantom. There are lots of videos on the subject, heres one...

Hand catching on a boat adds to the excitement. :D Be careful!
The Mavic actually takes a picture of it's take off point so when it returns it will land in almost the same location when using the auto land feature.

Be sure and download & read this several times if you haven't already, while some call it a toy it is still serious business - https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20161226/Mavic+Pro+User+Manual+V1.2.pdf

I do it regularly. I don't disable the sensors either. Just reach up from under it fairly quickly, before the sensors can react, and grasp it very firmly. It will want to fly away/correct so hold it firmly, with authority, and hold the left stick in the disarm position as soon as you firmly grab it. It's easy.
I think launching and hand catching from a boat will work fine....., just practice first on non moving dry land.

Reactions: Mr Tic tac
Every time I hear about people "hand catching" their drones I think about the Cleveland Indians pitcher's (Trevor Bauer) hand injury from right before the world series last year. I know that's not how his injury happened, but still.
Fast spinning propellers and flesh do not mix - so be careful.

Very easy to reach up underneath and grab it. I was worried it would see my hand and try to move, but either it doesn't react or reacts too slowly. As others have said, it will fight you when you grab it, so be expecting that. It pulls with a decent amount of force.

Another option is to just put your hand out, palm facing up under the MP, hold the left stick down and let the bird lower until it detects your hand and it lifts up slightly. If you just keep your hand there and continue holding the left stick down it will proceed to land nice and softly in your hand and shut off. No grabbing, no fuss. Many of us prefer this method, but either one will work. Practice and use what ever method you are most comfortable with.

Just to tag on...I use the palm catch method when I decide to handcatch. Downstick until it hovers over my palm about two feet up (so I know it's centered) then downstick and let it land on my palm. No muss, no fuss, no fighting the prop wash...smooth and gentle and very easy!

Just to tag on...I use the palm catch method when I decide to handcatch. Downstick until it hovers over my palm about two feet up (so I know it's centered) then downstick and let it land on my palm. No muss, no fuss, no fighting the prop wash...smooth and gentle and very easy!
Nice idea!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+