DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand catching updates?

Citizen Flier

Reactions
Have there been any new after market add-on solutions for hand catching M2P? I often fly in rough terrain or in tall foliage. But I don't trust myself to safely hand catch an M2P. Landing pad works well, but is too floppy for some locations. Wondering if TWO pads would be stiff enough to be propped up in uneven terrain? Any other clever solutions? (I have read some older threads on the topic) Thanks

Have there been any new after market add-on solutions for hand catching M2P? I often fly in rough terrain or in tall foliage. But I don't trust myself to safely hand catch an M2P. Landing pad works well, but is too floppy for some locations. Wondering if TWO pads would be stiff enough to be propped up in uneven terrain? Any other clever solutions? (I have read some older threads on the topic) Thanks

You might want to consider the lunar landing pad , see the link below.

Reactions: Maviculous
if you are not walking miles from your vehicle,to get to your destination, then get a two foot square of half inch ply, give it a good coat of varnish all over then put your own design of heli type landing pad pattern on one side, it will be heavy enough not to blow away in the wind ,and solid enough to support the drone

Reactions: anotherlab and ff22
I had a Freewell folding landing pad 50x50 cm which was peeling off it’s cheap cardboard backing. Like old man mavic suggests I got a thin sheet of plywood 75x75 cm and using contact adhesive fixed the Freewell logo to either side of the plywood in the center. I then finished off the whole thing with black duct tape. It not only looks good now but is very rigid for use on rough ground or grass surfaces. As it is only 75 x 75 cm I just stand it upright behind the seat of my car for easy transport.

DSCF5304.JPG
DSCF5309.JPG

Actually I often do walk more than 2 miles in rough terrain. That's why I opted for a folding bird. I will look into a DIY folding option of some light weight material. But sounds like some have mastered the hand catch. I also have a shoulder strap which would keep me from dropping the SC if I slice off a fingertip. thanks for the suggestions. Or maybe I'll just try this...

Attachments

• Hand_Landing_Pad.jpg
    Hand_Landing_Pad.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 61

Hand catching is pretty easy. It’s feels dicey at first but it is safe for you and your drone if you practice.

I don’t even know where my landing pad is.

If you want to keep going that way then try the plywood idea above. That’s brilliant. They also make some weighted pads.

Reactions: old man mavic
Be positive in the way that you grab the Mavic, but let it come down to you - don't bring your hand up quickly underneath it - and just hold and continue to hold down-stick!
The Mavic will fight you by putting on power as soon as your hand closes on it, but as long as you continue to hold 'down' & keep a firm grip - it will cut rpm and stop.
My advice - do not even attempt this if you have wet/greasy fingers!

because i am on an anticoagulant to prevent my blood from clotting i would never myself attempt a hand catch ,in case it went sideways, i dont fancy trying to drive miles from anywhere, to the nearest hospital to get stitched up in A and E

I hand catch periodically with no issues. It is fairly easy to learn and I feel confident because my Mavic 2 is so stable. I won’t try it in gusty winds because of the additional risk but in still winds it‘s a breeze (pun intended). I have also discovered a slightly different way which has also been discussed elsewhere. If you slide your hand under the bird horizontally fairly close to the bottom, the sensors don’t react (no bouncing up). The sensors are either not able or just don’t detect something within a few inches of the bottom, so no reaction. Just pull the left stick down and it settles nicely into your hand. Works great.

My last 300 flights always start from my right hand, slightly above eye level, likewise all landings happen in my right outstretched hand, slightly above eye level.

RC always with the strap around your neck so you have one hand free.

Terms:

- Landing protection, off
- Smart Return Home, always off
- Before landing, T-Mode always on
- Turn the drone so it points away from you
- Take it down to the correct height, see above.
- Fly it backwards until it is level with you.
- Soft landing in your hand so you can take a good grip of the drone body.
'- Switch off the motors

This way suits me perfectly as I very rarely stay at the location of TakeOff, always moving around me in my aviation area.

Flying in almost all weather, and so far not had a single TackOff or landing that went wrong.

My last 300 flights always start from my right hand, slightly above eye level, likewise all landings happen in my right outstretched hand, slightly above eye level.

Terms:

'- Switch off the motors

This way suits me perfectly as I very rarely stay at the location of TakeOff, always moving around me in my aviation area.

Flying in almost all weather, and so far not had a single TackOff or landing that went wrong.
@TTP ... What do you do if you lose signal and can’t regain it?

I am a flyer, much less a photographer, which means that I
always have drones in sight, fly a lot in forest, of course you
can drop the drone out of sight, but then it is just to switch to
instrument flight and return the drone to where you are and again see it.

The Hoodman landing pads are awesome. Weighted so don't blow around...only downside is a little more difficult to fold up.

Terms:

'- Switch off the motors

One small suggestion I would make is that it is a bit better to grab it from the front since the propellers are further away from your hand.

I have been hand grabbing it since day one. All settings are default, ie, all sensors on. The trick is to avoid the sensors at the bottom by sliding the hand into position from the front and grab this notch at the root of the front arms. Press the thumb into the notch on one side and do the same with the middle finger on the other side. It's a very firm grip even if you have wet/greasy fingers . Done this way the drone will not be able to slip away from your hand even at full throttle.

x.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: bbooty and PAW
You don’t have to avoid the sensors, as mentioned above, they are non-functioning at close range.
I am certain they work. Try putting your hand under it's belly while it is hovering, it will rise.

edit : OK, I now know that you meant the downward sensors will become non-functioning if the range is so close that your hand is basically touching it.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143