DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand Landing

Flipsonic

Reactions
Tried this yesterday but every time I put my hand below the quad it moves up and won’t come down even with the stick down the entire time. I realize I can use auto land as it will turn off OA. So I guess the only way to hand catch is with OA turned off?

just let it hover put you hand underneath wait till it has risen up let it hover for a couple of secs then put full down stick in and it should land on your hand

Reactions: Sjzfly and RTKD
Tried this yesterday but every time I put my hand below the quad it moves up and won’t come down even with the stick down the entire time. I realize I can use auto land as it will turn off OA. So I guess the only way to hand catch is with OA turned off?
Lets have a search......

Thanks. I guess I should’ve just waited longer until it descends to my hand.
I always hand land my Mavic Air. Make sure it’s not facing you , have the side of the drone next to you and wait for it to try and climb out of “Danger”while continuing to hold the throttle stick down to the stop. It works well

I also hand land all the time. But I find the pinch method where you hold the MA between your thumb and index finger mid body around the two battery latches much easier and safer as compared to landing it on your open palm. Goes without saying, pinch hold from below, never from above.

Last edited by a moderator:
That happens after trying to catch it from underneath when it squeezed up...

Attachments

• IMG_20181111_154206.jpg
    IMG_20181111_154206.jpg
    814.7 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: Skywalker
Anyone ever do a hot dog test on any of these quads? Maybe hot dog on a stick to include simulation of bone?

walk up at a angle and have the drone about chest level. It should just descend into your hand with the left stick back. Sometimes it seems to have a mind of it's own and you have to wait it out a little. I've had it land but not shut but not often. Just tip it 90 degrees and expect a howl from the Air but it will shut down. Do make sure your remote is calibrated. just as everyone else has said:)

I found it best when you stand on the side of the MA.
Let it hover, but quickly grab near the front of your Air , making sure you don't stick your finger up to far.
Speed is the thing.
Do it quickly and slightly tilt the MA on its side for rotor stop.
Good Luck and count your fingers every time you do it.

Reactions: scoble08
I found it best when you stand on the side of the MA.
Let it hover, but quickly grab near the front of your Air , making sure you don't stick your finger up to far.
Speed is the thing.
Do it quickly and slightly tilt the MA on its side for rotor stop.
Good Luck and count your fingers every time you do it.
I guess everyone has their preferred methods; I wouldn't do this. It is totally unnecessary, and sounds dangerous. There is no need to be swift. Let it descend to about arm level, let it detect your hands and climb up, but keep pushing the left stick down; it will land all on its own, nice and smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
The downward sensors are towards the back of the drone as it hovers facing you. I place my hand towards the front of the drone as it hovers so the sensor doesn't see your hand and therefore won't rise. It's an easy and safe technique and preferrred when a landing area is undesirable.

I have a Mavic Mini for launching and retrieving from a boat. While underway, or even at anchor, the position of the vessel is changing constantly, making most features—like auto-landing, auto take-off etc—redundant or very dangerous.

It would be easier if I could turn off Landing Protection but it doesn’t seem to be possible. Certainly don’t have time to wait for the drone to rise up of its own accord and then come down again—the boat would be 30m away by the time it did! Need to be able to snatch it out of the air at 10 knots, one hand on the stick.

Ideas?

I have a Mavic Mini for launching and retrieving from a boat. While underway, or even at anchor, the position of the vessel is changing constantly, making most features—like auto-landing, auto take-off etc—redundant or very dangerous.

It would be easier if I could turn off Landing Protection but it doesn’t seem to be possible. Certainly don’t have time to wait for the drone to rise up of its own accord and then come down again—the boat would be 30m away by the time it did! Need to be able to snatch it out of the air at 10 knots, one hand on the stick.

Ideas?
There has been multiple threads about hand catching on a boat and the consensus is that it is extremely tricky and dangerous. A stopped boat on still waters maybe but not with any type of waves or movement. The movement is too unpredictable and will usually end up with blood. They were some folks who caught it in a net or cloth successfully. I would suggest you do a search on this forum for hand catch and boat and read the horror stories.

I have been necessarily hand-catching drones on vessels at sea since 2016. It is challenging but very much possible. Hundreds of successful take-offs and landings.

On every drone so far, however, we have been able to disable landing protection and other features that allow the drone to second-guess our intentions, which inevitably makes the operation more dangerous.

On the Mini it seems impossible to disable Landing Protection. Is this correct?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143