DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand launch - land?

Pjyarnall

Reactions
Hi,

This is probably another noob question, but how does Go4 need to be configured to allow taking off and landing from or into one's' hand? I have seen it done in countless videos and I can contemplate its usefulness at some point in the future.

I have tried grasping the bird from underneath when it is hovering, but the lower sensors just force the bird up making it hard (impossible?), to grasp. I tried using the "S" mode with the same results. I am assuming that once one has grabbed the bird rotating it 90 degrees seems to automatically shut things down.

Thanks in advance for the secret to the technique, (I can imagine that DJI really doesn't want operators to use this procedure).

Think that one through carefully first. Hand launching is pretty close to eye level. I know the props are invisible at takeoff speed....BUT. Think blender with top off. Would you stick your fingers down there to retrieve an ice cube just because your mouth was dry?

Reactions: NoScreenNamesLeft
Hand launching is easy, I just start the props and give it a sudden downward motion and it spins up to maintain hover then I let it go. Hand landing is easy with the MP because there is room in the front half to grasp it without being detected by the downward sensors. The M2P has different sensor layout so you may need to just hold out your hand under it, lower it down and your hand will be detected as the ground, then it will continue to land in your hand. You can also disable the downward sensors but with practice that will not be necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Grab from the underbelly slightly behind the sensors and pinch TIGHT! The bird will try and fly upwards in some cases. Just hold onto it while simultaneously pressing the left stick all the way down to shut the Mavic props down.

I would not try and turn the Mavic on its side with the propellers spinning as there is the potential for props contacting you face or body before it shuts down.

Thanks to all who responded to my question. I am so impressed with this community!

Re Flightlogics comments re the risk of prop contact... I think that is well understood by all. Personally, I have been around large propellers with many orders of magnitude more power behind them for over 40 years, (and counting). Add in all sorts of power tools and industrial equipment that I routinely use and I am exquisitely aware of the potential harm. Thus my interest in seeking the knowledge of others.

The referenced videos and comments are excellent and informative.

Thanks to all of you!

I used to think the same way and then one time I was nicked by an OEM Mavic Pro propeller as they spin so fast that they are hard to see.

Now I just use the extended landing gear rear leg that I 3 D printed as a catch handle. I works amazing!

Attachments

• 20181113_104837.jpg
    20181113_104837.jpg
    868.2 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: Pjyarnall
I used to think the same way and then one time I was nicked by an OEM Mavic Pro propeller as they spin so fast that they are hard to see.

Now I just use the extended landing gear rear leg that I 3 D printed as a catch handle. I works amazing!
Great idea!

It's dangerous to hand launch/land.

I've , begrudgingly, done it on occasion.

Seems/feels safe.

And most times, it is.

But if something goes wrong. Blindness is the result.

I had a mishap and my legs still have scars. Lol

So probability of happening is, admittedly, small but consequence is huge.

This is what happened to me before I made a close study and following all of your good advice.

Attachments

• 2F723004-8671-47A7-99E3-2D67D048ED51.jpeg
    2F723004-8671-47A7-99E3-2D67D048ED51.jpeg
    967.6 KB · Views: 25
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR