DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand launching and catching the MM for the not so brave.

OldGuy

Reactions
I have failed to master the technique of hand catching and launching my MM. I always seem to get my fingers in the way or chicken out. So I made this hand landing pad out of an old mouse pad and a piece of elasticated tape glued to the pad (contact adhesive). Most mouse pads usually have a sponge type surface on the underside which is non slip and ideal for the MM to sit on. I have tried it and it works for me. The idea is to get used to hand launching/catching the MM without having to watch your fingers. This allows you to concentrate on the MM itself taking care that it’s not too near your face and the positioning of it for a landing etc. After some experience the idea will be to try the real thing without the pad.

I have has several goes now and am becoming more confident each time. Especially in getting used to forcing the MM to land and also how to hold the remote and manage the tablet at the same time.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

That's pretty clever. That looks like a pretty big mouse pad. My only concern would be getting it to land in the center of the small pad every time. My fear that it would fall off the edge if not centered. With your hand you can secure the bottom with your fingers. I'll bet you could do the same thing with a baseball glove if it doesn't interfere with the props (?).

Reactions: Kendallfordguy
2 each is own but I think the hand caring is better cause every time u will have to bring that pad out where as all u have to do is position the drone over ur hand pull done to land then use ur fingers to grab the drone

I had my first launch and landing from a jet ski over the weekend. All I can say, it was nerve racking but successful. Would I do it again? ..... Now that I have done it once "hold my beer and let me show you". That's how I was able to make most of my last video.

Last edited:
Reactions: dino9832 and ff22
I was practicing landing on ice chests. Then due to a miscalculation my mini slipped off the side. The propellers went wild smacking the ice chest! In a panic I reached down and grabbed it. I also learned some respect for those propellers. Those things hurt!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji