DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand launching and hand landing Mavic Air 2 ...

jeanmariecannie

Reactions
Every self respecting drone owner should learn how to hand launch and hand land his drone.

If you’re into adding extra payload to your drone or not it will always come in handy flying in snow, long grass, sand, from a boat, from a roof, … and keep all the debris out of your drone when launching from a dirty surface.

Launching is as simple as holding the drone from below and initiating the auto launcher :
1593545246616.png

The most difficult may be the position to do this with one hand. I found out that the easiest is to hold the drone in your one hand and keep the controller between your body and other hand, performing the control with your thumb :

PositionShot.png

Here’s a video on how to do this with the Insta360 One X and One R :

Here’s a video on on how to do this with the Kandao Qoocam 8K :

I like the one where you turn over your wrist to the open spinning props , Not . o_O

There is some calculated Risk in hand launching.
That risk increases some with hand catching , thus exposing the wrist should be taken off the table .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Mavic in the Rain.

Reactions: hayc59
Every self respecting drone owner should learn how to hand launch and hand land his drone.

If you’re into adding extra payload to your drone or not it will always come in handy flying in snow, long grass, sand, from a boat, from a roof, … and keep all the debris out of your drone when launching from a dirty surface.

Launching is as simple as holding the drone from below and initiating the auto launcher :
View attachment 106386

The most difficult may be the position to do this with one hand. I found out that the easiest is to hold the drone in your one hand and keep the controller between your body and other hand, performing the control with your thumb :

PositionShot.png

Here’s a video on how to do this with the Insta360 One X and One R :

Here’s a video on on how to do this with the Kandao Qoocam 8K :

There’s absolutely no need to learn that.

It’s a very very bad idea
It’s fine for teenagers who are invincible but for the rest of us bad idea.

If you mangled your hand the hospital bill might be more than the drone
You’re right.
No self-respecting adult would recommend the kids hand launch and hand catch a drone.
I hope he has great liability insurance.

It’s a good skill to learn, but I only hand launch about 10% of the time, when regular launching is not advisable (eg on the beach due to the sand).

In order to fly off my deck with an overhang I’ve become comfortable hand landing. When preparing to hand recover I switch to Tripod Mode, I turn off the bottom sensors, I rotate the drone away and reverse the drone backward to within my grasp. Once I’ve grasped the drone with my left hand, I turn it off with my right.
Easy Peasy.

Reactions: RonMav
Hey. Everyone needs a few battle scars. My first time take off and landing with the hand was easy except the time I tried to turn it over. That didn't work for me. No harm, no damage, I just reverted to killing the throttle with the stick. The hardest part is one handing the remote. I can see were a slip and fumble could bring blood. I think a firm plan to keep control of the remote is priority.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with hand launching/catching your drone. The only caveat is you must know what you are doing. It's not difficult and if you're new to it, please watch a few videos so you can understand how to do it safely. It's no more difficult than crossing a road, but again, don't expect everyone will do it safely.

It has come in handy many times; from not being able to take off from rebar rich concrete to not being able to land on unfit ground, from being uneven to muddy wet sandy etc., you get the point. And there's nothing wrong with not wanting to hand launch/catch your drone, I'm just saying it's been personally handy for me.

A prime example for what not to do is the guy with the cut finger in the previous post above. Yes accidents do happen, but again if you don't know what you are doing then don't be surprised when you get your fingers chopped up. Don't let his misfortune deter you from learning to doing it correctly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica