DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand launching

spamgnome

Reactions
Anyone have a procedure they like to hand launch the MA? I usually use a launch pad, but I feel like I stick out too much.

I only hand launch/land my MP. Launching is easy. I just start the props and make a quick dropping motion and the props spin up to maintain hover. To land I just hover a bit above head height and grasp it in front of the downward sensors (so it doesn't try to rise up) then left stick down to stop the props.

Depends on the terrain. If its pretty flat then I use my hard case to take off and then land it into my hand.

If I am somewhere that my case wont sit steady then I take off from the palm of my hand and then land back into my hand.

I exclusively hand launch/land. In fact I returned my landing pad and landing gear as I really don't see any need for it whatsoever, especially with a drone as tiny as the Air. It keeps the drone squeaky clean at all times and avoids the need for a landing pad or landing gear. It's also way more discreet, as you allude to in your OP. Nobody wants to whip out a giant orange landing pad in a public place and draw more attention than you already will with the drone.

For takeoff just lay it on your flat palm and takeoff as you normally would. There's nothing to it really, it will go straight up.

For landing, hover it a few feet above your hand and then hold down the left joystick - after 3 seconds it will override the downward obstacle sensors and it will slowly and gently drop into your hand for you to grasp onto. A second later (left stick still held down) the props will turn off and you're all done.

The feet on the Air are a _really_ poor design. They could have been made much better and it would not be a difficult design. The Air can't even be set up on grass as it's almost always longer then 1". DJI simply dropped the ball on that one.

I launch my Phantom from the ground but then almost always hand catch. To that note, if you are hand launching for a reason I suspect you should be hand catching as well. While I was always a proponent of this with the Phantoms (with a lot of people getting on my case about it), I don't do this with the Air or Mavic Pro. I know this is not to your question but I instead opted for extensions on the landing gear.

Reactions: NAVMAV
Thanks to all who replied. I find it VERY easy to hand catch. I just hold the L stick down until the down sensors are overridden. Am still trying to perfect the launch, as a third hand would be...handy :)

When hand catching the MA let it hover at a reasonable height, grab it from the bottom and quickly turn it on its side. the props will stop automatically and it can all be done with one hand.

I always prefer to land and take off from hand.

In my opinion, it is faster and safer and helps to protect the drone from dust.

You do not need to waste time doing a perfect landing, approximate the drone to you, go walking near to the drone and turn stick all down. The landing sensors can make the drone go up for seconds, simply maintain sticks down and the drone will land on your hand.

I only land on the ground when the wind is too strong, you can take off with strong winds with no problems, only be aware that the drone can slide for few seconds.

To take off, lift the drone above your head and use the auto take off simply sliding the control on the phone.

It is easy, only needs a little training.

I like the hand launch recovery, mostly to protect the drone. I do, however, find it a bit difficult to keep one hand open for the drone, while trying to hold the controller and move the stick with only one hand.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett