DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Handheld camera

Quad Craft

Reactions
Handheld Camera- OK, so this whole drone thing has consumed me since the Fall of 2020. I've now learned to fly adequately, edit pictures, and I'm just getting to the video editing aspect of this craft. I'm now on my third drone- 0 crashes, a Mini, Air 2, and my recent purchase of an Air 2S, while waiting for a #3, all drones are great in their lane and I gladly accept the expense, but no I have a new problem. I need a capable handheld camera and since I knew nothing of photography nine months ago I could use the expertise of this form to guide me in the right direction. I want something I can grow into, not just a beginner camera. I'm OK with the post-process of editing RAW files, I enjoy the AEB feature of the DJI cameras, street photography, food, real estate, landscape, action etc....

I'd like something I can easily carry in a trunk bag on my bike or a backpack along with a drone or two. Any direction would be appreciated. Budget 1K +/-
185631248_10223003039878126_5876080910412949240_n (1).jpg Thank you.

Sony z1 i think would be a good fit. $650 ish amazing little camera .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Land on the Water.
Thank you for the response and recommendation. A friend of mine recently purchased the Sony DSC-RX100 VII and I'm waiting to get his thoughts, but the Z1 looks like a pretty solid choice and it's compact.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VII​

I wonder if you consider something of an action cam (Stabilised) or the DJI Pocket 2 with gimbal.
The Pocket I have is pretty remarkable in its video (4k) and photo capability, and very smooth.
Works great for ease of access and fast response (off to filming) for travels, including on foot with your compact drones.

I wonder if you consider something of an action cam (Stabilised) or the DJI Pocket 2 with gimbal.
The Pocket I have is pretty remarkable in its video (4k) and photo capability, and very smooth.
Works great for ease of access and fast response (off to filming) for travels, including on foot with your compact drones.
I agree 100%! I purchased a DJI Pocket 2 a few months ago and really enjoy using it, coupled it with a Micro Pro - 4th Axis from Scottymakes stuff - it's a fantastic little camera/video device. Plus, it's compact enough to always have on hand too- great suggestion- thanks.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Handheld Camera- OK, so this whole drone thing has consumed me since the Fall of 2020. I've now learned to fly adequately, edit pictures, and I'm just getting to the video editing aspect of this craft. I'm now on my third drone- 0 crashes, a Mini, Air 2, and my recent purchase of an Air 2S, while waiting for a #3, all drones are great in their lane and I gladly accept the expense, but no I have a new problem. I need a capable handheld camera and since I knew nothing of photography nine months ago I could use the expertise of this form to guide me in the right direction. I want something I can grow into, not just a beginner camera. I'm OK with the post-process of editing RAW files, I enjoy the AEB feature of the DJI cameras, street photography, food, real estate, landscape, action etc....

I'd like something I can easily carry in a trunk bag on my bike or a backpack along with a drone or two. Any direction would be appreciated. Budget 1K +/-
View attachment 131281 Thank you.
I think it all depends on the budget. From the Nikon Z6 to the top of the line Sony, it really depends on how you plan to use it. You can certainly get great deals with the old DSLR's. We always wrestle with this question. If money is no object , The Sony A7sIII has the mirrorless, low weight, high quality you want, including excellent video capabilities. For DSLR, I have been with Nikon all of my life, and the D850, D% are hard to beat. Your budget of 1K will allow some of the benefits in a lower end Sony or Nikon or Canon. It is important to spend more on the lens than the camera! For light weight, forget the big DSLRs. Go with the mirrorless. Many to chose from

Check out the term- mirrorless, full frame cameras on Google-see this attachment

Hope this gives you some direction.

Dale
Miami
Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 10.43.10 AM.png

Thank you for the response and recommendation. A friend of mine recently purchased the Sony DSC-RX100 VII and I'm waiting to get his thoughts, but the Z1 looks like a pretty solid choice and it's compact.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VII​

The RX100 VII is my go to camera, it’s compact and I can take it anywhere. It has a few features over the ZV-1 such as metal body, electronic view finder, flash and 24-200mm equivalent lens. The ZV-1 lens is faster so is a bit better in low light and bokeh but only has a 70mm equivalent zoom. Some prefer the flip out screen on the ZV-1 but I have no issue the flip up screen on the RX.

What about your smart phone? The new ones are really quite good for pictures.
I recently upgraded my old Samsung S-10 to the new S-21 Ultra 5G, just for the camera- which is great and does all you can ask for in a camera/phone, but as mentioned earlier, I a bit of a tech geek and I'm always tinkering with new stuff. thank you for the response.

The RX100 VII is my go to camera, it’s compact and I can take it anywhere. It has a few features over the ZV-1 such as metal body, electronic view finder, flash and 24-200mm equivalent lens. The ZV-1 lens is faster so is a bit better in low light and bokeh but only has a 70mm equivalent zoom. Some prefer the flip out screen on the ZV-1 but I have no issue the flip up screen on the RX.
I'm leaning in the direction of the RX 100 VII. I found it online for $ 919.00 inc tax and shipping- $380 less than all other online sites. Thank you for the response.

I think it all depends on the budget. From the Nikon Z6 to the top of the line Sony, it really depends on how you plan to use it. You can certainly get great deals with the old DSLR's. We always wrestle with this question. If money is no object , The Sony A7sIII has the mirrorless, low weight, high quality you want, including excellent video capabilities. For DSLR, I have been with Nikon all of my life, and the D850, D% are hard to beat. Your budget of 1K will allow some of the benefits in a lower end Sony or Nikon or Canon. It is important to spend more on the lens than the camera! For light weight, forget the big DSLRs. Go with the mirrorless. Many to chose from

Check out the term- mirrorless, full frame cameras on Google-see this attachment

Hope this gives you some direction.

Dale
Miami
View attachment 131325
Dr. Dale. I always value your opinion and all the others in this fantastic group. I knew I'd get first-hand knowledge from the tried and true experts, not some sales spiel from a paid reviewer. I appreciate your time Dr. Dale and I'll do a little additional research when I get home from work tonight. Thank again!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada