DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Handling hostile members of the public

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never flown NOT standing on my property so I don't have that problem.

Yep.
That video was posted here a couple of years ago.
The whole idea of confrontation makes me uncomfortable while flying. I am not 107. I am a retired guy looking for fun and footage to occupy my retirement. I am a pure hobbyist.

If confronted with a complainer like this, especially here in Miami, I would just leave, rather than get shot, which is sometimes likely to happen with some crazy people around. As I have said many times, I fly stealth. Sneak in and out ASAP. People are just plain uncomfortable with drones.

Yesterday, after my tennis game at my private tennis club, I flew over the courts at a fairly high altitude of 70 feet. I could not hear the drone. Yet one of the players complained. Go figure! (working on that video right now-soon to to appear on a computer coming to your neighborhood).

Reactions: Alky1229
I don't subscribe to the stealth method. I don't have anything to hide, why should I act like I'm doing something wrong? If you go that route, then people will question your motives.

I try to explain what I'm doing when people are come up. While I won't let them fly it, I'll let them see the screen. Then I'll ask if they would like a picture emailed to them. A little kindness goes a long way in battling what is, for the lack of a better term, ignorance.

I have had one neighbor go from "are you spying on us" to "can you take an overhead shot of my house?".

To stealth or not to stealth....

I don't go out of my way to be stealthy, but then again, I don't fly from locations around people as much as possible. In other words, I try not to attract attention. So far, my experience with the public has been merely curios inquiry.

Reactions: Chuckinay
I live in a development of 19 homes in the country and I go straight up to over 300 feet while inside the development. Mostly I head out into the country, where the sign say, "no service for 70 miles" and no issues ;) !

I don't subscribe to the stealth method. I don't have anything to hide, why should I act like I'm doing something wrong? If you go that route, then people will question your motives.

I try to explain what I'm doing when people are come up. While I won't let them fly it, I'll let them see the screen. Then I'll ask if they would like a picture emailed to them. A little kindness goes a long way in battling what is, for the lack of a better term, ignorance.

I have had one neighbor go from "are you spying on us" to "can you take an overhead shot of my house?".

A lot of people have never seen from the birds eye view. Most times people think drones invade on privacy but when you show them pictures from the aerial perspective which they have never seen then they think it’s cool.

The whole idea of confrontation makes me uncomfortable while flying. I am not 107. I am a retired guy looking for fun and footage to occupy my retirement. I am a pure hobbyist.

If confronted with a complainer like this, especially here in Miami, I would just leave, rather than get shot, which is sometimes likely to happen with some crazy people around. As I have said many times, I fly stealth. Sneak in and out ASAP. People are just plain uncomfortable with drones.

Yesterday, after my tennis game at my private tennis club, I flew over the courts at a fairly high altitude of 70 feet. I could not hear the drone. Yet one of the players complained. Go figure! (working on that video right now-soon to to appear on a computer coming to your neighborhood).
And I'm almost always carrying a side arm while I'm out. Never know what you might see out in the woods...

I do the explaining part if the stealth method fails! Whatever it takes.

Reactions: Bob Suval
Yeah nothing new. Same old story different day.

You could tell them that you've been hired to look for dead bodies.
Then tell them you could make it easier if you tell me where to fly over.... lol
Also get to know a couple cops so when they say they are going to call, tell them to ask for them to come out.
Whoever comes out be really friendly and get their name.
The more of them you get to know the better.
I have several friends and family that are cops.

I’m a foot in both camps flyer when it comes to this. I don’t sneak around doing my flying but it is a reasonable consideration when I choose where to fly. I’ve had several people come up to me and before they open their mouths I smile, wish them a good day and ask them if it's bothering them. I’ve never had a bad experience and have emailed photos to numerous people like #anotherlab has.
I’ve even been offered drone work.
Just know the rules, which will usually be one step more than most of the public.

I really dislike the "stealth mode". It encourages the view its somewhat shady or you've got something to hide.
Its actually against the recommendations in most countries and the licence conditions for commercial in many areas which state you need to make yourself as conspicuous as possible.

I’m stealth, yet not stealth. I’m not hiding, but choosing the least conspicuous position.

btw, depending on the sun, the shadow of the drone may show up on the tennis court.

Reactions: Bob Suval
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest