DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hard to find work

Rcarman

Reactions
Hello, I live in Southwest Florida and I received my Part 107 almost a year ago and I haven’t been able to find any drone jobs or people seeking drone photography for hire. Does anyone have any good ideas to find work and/or know of any routes that I should take to have more success? Many thanks.

-Ryan

I have a website as well as a Facebook page. Rcdrones.wixsite.com/coastaldrone

Attachments

• A0D80DDA-FC20-44B9-881E-A46EF7FA5743.jpeg
    A0D80DDA-FC20-44B9-881E-A46EF7FA5743.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 67
Hello, I live in Southwest Florida and I received my Part 107 almost a year ago and I haven’t been able to find any drone jobs or people seeking drone photography for hire. Does anyone have any good ideas to find work and/or know of any routes that I should take to have more success? Many thanks.

-Ryan

Networking. Even with all of the social media and reliance on technology today nothing beats networking. Depending on what kind of work you want attend events, meetings, or any gathering of people whom might hire you and let them get to know you face to face and give them a business card. Give business cards out and promote your business in coffee shops, elevators, anywhere you can. Can you undercut the average price of your competitors? If so, let them know.

There are no shortcuts and most of the time the degree of success is directly proportional to the amount of "Leg Work" you've put in.

Networking, Researching, and creating your own market are paramount to having a successful business. Also it's hard to be successful if you're "barely doing it"... the more you're emotionally invested the better your odds are.

It is a saturated market and even more so in your area of the world so you've got to do something to differentiate yourself from all the other UAS Start Ups. Niches create Riches . . .

.....Can you undercut the average price of your competitors? If so, let them know.

That's the only piece of advice I take some degree of exception to. That's a race to the bottom of the barrel for sure. Instead of cutting prices increase you offerings, quality of product, or find some way to add more VALUE to the service you're offering. Most people like to get MORE for a set price so find ways to give them more/better than they can get from the competition.

If you cut the price by $5 so will the next guy and before you know it you're working for peanuts.

Try offering post flight services eg editing to a set time, picture manipulation, colour changes, addition of sound in music or cemmentary. Work in niche market eg car racing, mountain bike racing, rodeo ( with telephoto maybe).

As you get to know your subjects you will get known for being able to intelligently edit and interpret what you are filming / photographing and the punters will get to know you are around and available / reliable.
Flyers / business cards was a good suggestion too.
If you love it enough you will find ways to make it pay or at least become a skilled hobby!!

Reactions: JS1600
Make you self a name by uploading pictures to Google maps or equivalent sites. I’ve uploaded over 125 pics and until today they are showed more than 770.000 times. Everyone of them have my name on It so I’m not anonymous and undercovered.

Make you self a name by uploading pictures to Google maps or equivalent sites. I’ve uploaded over 125 pics and until today they are showed more than 770.000 times. Everyone of them have my name on It so I’m not anonymous and undercovered.

There's a marketing strategy I've never pondered in the least.

Have you gotten any feedback or have any metrics to see if this is creating leads & business? It's a good idea especially if you're trying to build a brand.

Reactions: Wailuku
In a post I read a year or so, a guy in Mississippi had almost overnight success with a Groupon. He ran around a lot for nothing in the beginning, but the word of mouth that those a Groupon customers created set him on his wau

Instead of cutting prices increase you offerings, quality of product, or find some way to add more VALUE to the service you're offering. Most people like to get MORE for a set price so find ways to give them more/better than they can get from the competition.

I couldn't agree more. Discounting is the tax you pay for being average. Undercutting is bad for you and the rest of the industry.

I couldn't agree more. Discounting is the tax you pay for being average. Undercutting is bad for you and the rest of the industry.

I gotta say.. I REALLY like how you worded that... I'm gonna "borrow" it for future use!!

Until you build a resume and prove you're worth more than average discounting may be the only way to gain business. If you are trying to break into a business where there are already many players, and where a very clear differentiation can't be demonstrated, discounting in some way (price or more for the same price) is going to be part of the plan if you hope to stay in business. Of course those already in the business aren't going to like it but this fact has been part of business for as long as business has been done.

Reactions: Awolfe57
In addition to the thoughts already posted, think hard about what product you are offering, and why the purchaser should be interested.

Try imagining the customer asking the question 5 times, and give 5 answers that are convincing, for example:

you - “I have a drone, and can fly over and photograph anything you want”
customer - “So what?”

you - “You can use it for documentation for your insurance policy”
customer - “So what?”

you - “It will reduce the chances of the insurance company not recognizing the value of the addition you just added”
customer - “That’s interesting tell me more about how that works.”

In a competitive marketplace selling well is the only way to get business.

Reactions: spicciani2
There's a marketing strategy I've never pondered in the least.

Have you gotten any feedback or have any metrics to see if this is creating leads & business? It's a good idea especially if you're trying to build a brand.

Same, I've never even considered trying to monetize/leverage my whopping six images on Google maps (although they do have 140K+ views). I like the idea though if you are trying to build a photography-based business or adding an income stream.

My advice to OP is to have well-defined services maybe with packaged/priced options (for example in real estate you could offer 3-4 packages that vary in #/type of images, length/editing of vids, etc.). For construction, I imagine a lot of the operations have their own person who'll just pop a drone up and take a few shots if you only offer an aerial perspective of a construction site.. so you probably won't get much there unless you try more advanced options of surveying etc with higher end drones (some states require specialized licensing for surveying gigs, so maybe a sector with too many barriers to entry for a small drone operation?).

But I agree with what has been said, you have to make your services known and simply having a website isn't going to do it. Build your portfolio any way you can, only post your absolutely best stuff online, and start attending conventions, rent table space and push your services directly to the people who are potential clients. It isn't fun (IMO), but unless you have an inside track to jobs you have to start somewhere. And that means networking and investing time and $ in building a name/reputation for your services. If your vids are great, consider a hard push on youtube to get a following there?? And, if you are not familiar, read up on starting and building a small business.

-Ryan

Return to the basics- e.g.: assemble your portfolio on an iPad and visit every realtor in town, showing homes, building site, etc. That should take up at least several weeks of time. Even if you get just one realtor who has a lot of listings, you can charge by the home or by the month. Try to keep in same range as your competition, and offer a volume discount or a loyalty plan. In Sum, Portfolio, pursue realtors, offer a plan. Hope that helps.

You can upload pictures into google maps??? How?
I Googled your question- here's what I got
Add a photo from a place's page
  1. On your computer, open Google Maps and search for a place.
  2. After you've selected a place, click Add a photo. You might have to scroll down to see this.
  3. A box will appear. Drag the photo that you'd like to upload, or click Choose photos to upload.

If this doesn't work, try Googling your question. There are numerous items to search for your answer.

Around here ( NW of Philadelphia, ) it is almost impossible to fly and take video for demos without running in some difficulty.I am Part 107. FAA Commercial , Instrument Etc Pilot. With the exception of privately owned land, there is no place to practice or build a portfolio. And there is a law in PA , effective Jan 2020 , that ppl can complain that you are filming them , their houses, and you can be arrested , face trial, and fines just for flying in your own neighborhood.
And I suspect the new drone ID provisions will kill off personal drones. Mike

Reactions: spicciani2
Around here ( NW of Philadelphia, ) it is almost impossible to fly and take video for demos without running in some difficulty.I am Part 107. FAA Commercial , Instrument Etc Pilot. With the exception of privately owned land, there is no place to practice or build a portfolio. And there is a law in PA , effective Jan 2020 , that ppl can complain that you are filming them , their houses, and you can be arrested , face trial, and fines just for flying in your own neighborhood.
And I suspect the new drone ID provisions will kill off personal drones. Mike
I found this which may be of help

The 5 Best Places to Fly a Drone in Philadelphia | UAV Coach

When you say "Have my name on it" do you mean watermarked or logo or something? I'm just trying to wrap my head around how your photos are linked/marked to help bring you more clicks and potential business.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and work.

Allen

Ever look in a newspaper to see who is getting married?
Ever drive by a vacant lot with a sign that says “future site of . . .”
Ever check a local school district to see what programs they may have for young aeronautical wanna be’s?
Ever advertise in a local business oriented newspaper?
Ever check with local Real Estate sales?

Drones for exterior and hand gimbals (w or w/o monopod sticks for boom shots) for interior and other low altitude level!

What kind of drone work do you want to specialize in? Are your costs and expenses figured? Insurances? Licenses? Taxes? Prep fee? Pre and Post video production. Just to name a few considerations.

Tell us what all you have tried. Your pro’s and con’s! It may be helpful to others as well.

I am 107, but for furtherance of knowledge, not income. I’m retired and . . . I like it that way!!!

Reactions: BigAl07
Ever look in a newspaper to see who is getting married?
Ever drive by a vacant lot with a sign that says “future site of . . .”
Ever check a local school district to see what programs they may have for young aeronautical wanna be’s?
Ever advertise in a local business oriented newspaper?
Ever check with local Real Estate sales?

Drones for exterior and hand gimbals (w or w/o monopod sticks for boom shots) for interior and other low altitude level!

What kind of drone work do you want to specialize in? Are your costs and expenses figured? Insurances? Licenses? Taxes? Prep fee? Pre and Post video production. Just to name a few considerations.

Tell us what all you have tried. Your pro’s and con’s! It may be helpful to others as well.

I am 107, but for furtherance of knowledge, not income. I’m retired and . . . I like it that way!!!
All great ideas-

wow! for a second there I thought you were 107 years old- I'd be retired too.

Reactions: Garo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore