DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Harlem Valley Psychiatric Center

cheezstake

Reactions
What an absolutely massive abandoned compound this place was, and in very good shape, at least from the outside.

Can you even begin to imagine just what went on in there.

Long stay, high dependency psychiatric hospitals' staff were/are a mix of the mostly good and at worst the cynical unmotivated. I worked in two facilities for a while many years back. The patients had no choice whether or not to be there, they could not exist on the outside. The staff made their own choices to be there and most were trying to help. I was in admin and volunteered to work on the wards on weekends to support my nursing colleagues. It was heartbreaking and rewarding at the same time, a daily catastrophe that most people will never see much less understand. This was in the 1970s in the UK

Just a shout out to the mental health professionals who care enough to dedicate their lives to helping the helpless.

Last edited:
Long stay, high dependency psychiatric hospitals' staff were/are a mix of the mostly good and at worst the cynical unmotivated. I worked in two facilities for a while many years back. The patients had no choice whether or not to be there, they could not exist on the outside. The staff made their own choices to be there and most were trying to help. I was in admin and volunteered to work on the wards on weekends to support my nursing colleagues. It was heartbreaking and rewarding at the same time, a daily catastrophe that most people will never see much less understand. This was in the 1970s in the UK

Just a shout out to the mental health professionals who care enough to dedicate their lives to helping the helpless.

That’s great the video and comments sparked these memories of your experience which you shared with us. I think that means the video worked as art! Interesting video and insights.

Reactions: Gindra
Reactions: dirkclod
The lobotomy 'craze' was a worldwide thing, attempting to fix the unfixable. I met many victims of that procedure. You can reasonably blame influential doctors for that one, not the nursing staff.

Thanks for sharing. Very nice flying and the music was perfect for the scenes. What used to be thought of as good medicine makes me wonder if there are ways of trying to help people today that we will look back at with dismay.

Reactions: Gindra
I’m an older man. I’ve seen more than I care to remember and nothing really tugs on the strings of my fear response. But I’ll admit this: I wouldn’t dare walk the dark and empty hallways of one of those ward floors at night! Never!

The high school I went to would take the senior class psychology class to Harlem Valley for class trips. Thankfully they stopped before I made it to senior year.

Reactions: Chip
The high school I went to would take the senior class psychology class to Harlem Valley for class trips. Thankfully they stopped before I made it to senior year.
Why..scared they keep ya ?
jk?

Totally mint! Is it possible to get inside? Have you got some pics or footage?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair