DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Harming birds

z-fly

Reactions
Hello everyone,

I was pretty close to buying a DJI Mini 2 today but after a further thought, I've somewhat given up on that. The reason being the possibility that I accidentally hurt/kill birds.
What's the best place to look for propeller cages? I'd need one that would prevent birds (incl. tiny ones like sparrows) from getting to the propellers, and how much would that affect the flying experience (control/air resistance/flight time)?

Hello everyone,

I was pretty close to buying a DJI Mini 2 today but after a further thought, I've somewhat given up on that. The reason being the possibility that I accidentally hurt/kill birds.
What's the best place to look for propeller cages? I'd need one that would prevent birds (incl. tiny ones like sparrows) from getting to the propellers, and how much would that affect the flying experience (control/air resistance/flight time)?
Don't worry ... birds won't get close enough that you could ever harm them.

Commendable thinking.
For the mini 2 I doubt you will find such a cage that is practical, it would likely trigger payload mode if nothing else.
That said, that I have seen, small garden-birds are generally fairly low fliers and don't often venture into exposed areas high up. I imagine this is to avoid the attention of predatory birds.
I have had a Mavic Mini buzzed in 'open air' by small members of the swift/swallow family but the drone was basically hovering and they were orbiting the drone.
Collision with non garden-birds is a concern but would rarely be accidental unless a you met a flock and the vision of one bird was blocked by a bird or birds in front of it.
Attacks by predators do happen possibly due to protecing a hunting range or eggs/young or a hunt. The best taric is up as fast as you can then get away and down.
Gulls, geese, crows and osyter catchers will defend nest sites and brood and during nesting season are best avoided if you can.

Bird's aren't real, they're just government drones also! /jk

In seriousness, hopefully someone can answer you about flight time and performance, but I don't use them, so I can't. However, a quick search on Amazon shows there are several available for the Mini2 which fully cover the propellers and a majority have 4.5 stars with 200+ reviews.

That said, birds are much better at piloting the sky's then we are. They do a wonderful job at avoiding obstacles, including drones.

I have found birds generally avoid getting too close. However, I did have about a dozen sparrows circle my drone on Saturday. They kept their distance but seemed curious. Actual bird strikes seem very rare. I admire your compassion.

Reactions: z-fly and Nanny Ogg
Speaking of birds, I almost took out my windshield with this one. I was talking to it way off, telling it to move. It didn't listen, until the last moment. I don't usually swerve to avoid animals, but I really didn't want to hit this guy.

Reactions: z-fly
He definitely would have had a bad day otherwise! It's amazing how agile they are at such speeds.

Adding propeller guards would add to the drone weight to make it over 250 grams and requiring registration.
Unless you fly into a flock of birds I don't think your flying a drone will increase their general risk of injury or death.

Hello everyone,

I use DJI’s propeller guards for the Mini 2 when I fly mine within tree canopies or slot canyons. Those guards provide the type of protection I’m after, but they do trigger the payload warning and switch to payload flight (limiting height above takeoff point and distance). However, I frequently turn off the payload setting and continue to fly with the guards. I assume that will shorten the eventual life of the motors due to added stress and heat but I’ll take that tradeoff.

These guards are great, but they are bulky and take up a lot room when travelling. As others have mentioned above, birds will probably avoid your drone on their own, but the DJI Mini 2 guards could help if there was contact. Registration is fine with me, so the increased mass doesn’t bother me in that regard.

Howard

Speaking of birds, I almost took out my windshield with this one. I was talking to it way off, telling it to move. It didn't listen, until the last moment. I don't usually swerve to avoid animals, but I really didn't want to hit this guy.

Many eagles and owls brought in for rehab at the local raptor center (U. Of MN) have been hit by cars. Since eagles are big carrion eaters, they are often found by the side of the road. Nice job avoiding this guy.

Hello everyone,

It will never happen. However, if a bird gets too interested or irritated; Ascend at max speed. The birds respects that lifting power.

I'm not sure if there's an actual story here or if you're just making a Birds and the Bees joke. 🤷‍♂️
There are beekeepers in my neighborhood. Avoiding the swarms at 200' AGL is a challenge.

I assume that you have gotten too close to the 🐝? Nothing like angry bees 🐝!
More like the bees get too close to me. I don't want to decimate the bee population, but when I can't land straight down from 200' AGL in my own front yard without getting swarmed, the next half-hour or so is cleaning bee bits off my Mini 2 before I can fly again.

Reactions: RH009
Why not if you can?

Depends on my speed and road conditions, but swerving can cause a driver to lose control, off the road and into a ditch or even worse, into oncoming traffic. Obviously I will if conditions allow, but my instinct would be not to.

Reactions: mobilehomer

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej