DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Harrisburg PA State Capitol building

macfawlty

Reactions
Can someone tell me whether the Harrisburg State Capitol Building is in a NFZ? AirMap shows it in a NFZ, but doesn’t seem to provide details on height restrictions at distances from airport.

Kittyhawk shows the State Capitol Building with permissible 200 foot altitude via LAANC approval. With a building height of 272 feet, you won’t get top-down footage, but enjoy your flight!

0263E93D-01EC-4D37-95CB-576180B86124.jpeg

I am actually seeing 200 foot in AirMap, too:
D7D240D3-132A-489F-8F99-2F9940248CFE.jpeg

You may have already researched this area, but I’m not sure this state bill was ever signed into law, and if the State Capitol falls under their Critical Facilities category: Committee passes bill to prohibit use of drones over certain facilities in PA - Senator David Argall

From the Penn General Assembly website, it seems it only got second consideration back in 2016. Not sure if an alternate bill was drafted and submitted. Bill Information - Senate Bill 1323; Regular Session 2015-2016

Attachments

• 057480DF-F81B-4AA8-BE5D-0DE74BD9AB97.jpeg
    057480DF-F81B-4AA8-BE5D-0DE74BD9AB97.jpeg
    426.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info. Pardon my ignorance, but what’s the Kitty Hawk site you use for reference?

I saw a number of drone videos over the Capitol building, but I wanted be be sure before making the drive. I’d really prefer the State Capitol Building was open as I need to do photography inside as well. I may just postpone it. Not like there’s much else I can do in Harrisburg at the moment.

Kittyhawk is an app, like AirMap, and tends to allow me to receive LAANC approval better than AirMap for some reason. It may just be user preference since I’ve seen very strong recommendations for AirMap on here too.

One thing to consider: If you plan to fly from the Capitol’s parking lot, find a nearby security person or state patrolman and simply ask if it’s okay to fly. I personally would find a location off the Capitol grounds with line of sight to the building, then fly from there. Since the Capitol’s not open, and Harrisburg streets are probably pretty empty these days, you won’t have issues flying over people,

Kittyhawk is an app, like AirMap, and tends to allow me to receive LAANC approval better than AirMap for some reason. It may just be user preference since I’ve seen very strong recommendations for AirMap on here too.

One thing to consider: If you plan to fly from the Capitol’s parking lot, find a nearby security person or state patrolman and simply ask if it’s okay to fly. I personally would find a location off the Capitol grounds with line of sight to the building, then fly from there. Since the Capitol’s not open, and Harrisburg streets are probably pretty empty these days, you won’t have issues flying over people,
Thanks, I hadn't seen Kittyhawk referenced before. I checked the Airmap app again. It didn't show the altitude restrictions when I typed in Harrisburg, PA, but when I searched for the PA State Capitol building, Harrisburg, the altitude restrictions showed up.

Two primary launch spots. For the front side, the industrial area off N. Cameron. For a cityscape shot, the Susquehanna Scenic Overlook next to the river and/or City Island. I can get the bridges, river, island and cityscape. I'm gonna need more than 4 batteries...

I'm bummed that I can't visit the Capitol building though. I photograph State capitol building interiors whenever I have the opportunity and PA is at the top of my list. From the pics, it's truly stunning. Nicer than any I've visited.

Here's some pics of:
Indianapolis - Indiana Statehouse, Indianapolis
Boston - Boston State House, Massachusetts
U.S. Capitol Senate Wing - Halls of the Senate (Brumidi Corridors) & Old Senate Chamber
Supreme Court of the U.S. - Supreme Court of the United States

Last edited:
Reactions: pelagic_one
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr