DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Harrowing Final Flight - Mavic Totalled

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest 45469

Flew 3.7 miles out over the port of Tacoma with a strong tailwind in sport mode. Began return flight with 71% battery and was only making around 25mph against the strong headwind. I knew I wouldn't make it back so I was trying to get to a bridge that was not on private property so I could land safely and go retrieve my drone.

About 250ft from my intended landing spot, and with 10% battery remaining, Mavic disengaged my goggles gimbal control and began to autoland. I clicked on the cancel button on the app (log shows cancel failed). I then went back into the goggles and reengaged the gimbal control.

I looked down as the goggle gimbal controller reengaged and was a few feet away from descending into a power line. I floored the controller up and forward and began moving forward but not up.

Narrowly missing another set of power lines, I approached my intended landing spot with 5% battery remaining. Thought I was going to make it when out of nowhere I clipped a set of power lines and the drone fell 20ft to it's death.

I immediately got in the car and retrieved the downed drone. Rear motor is broken off. Gimbal is hanging by it's wire. Rear body shell is cracked. Totaled?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1L-AVCPsQY
I've had this Mavic 3 weeks and flown it at every opportunity. I'm tempted to just go buy another one but I have a feeling it won't be my last. Especially considering how much of a rush it is to take risks when flying.

Thoughts? Pretty sure this one is not worth fixing.

Attachments

• 20180106_125214.jpg
    20180106_125214.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 695
Reactions: icasby and Crixus1
Yeah...that flight was textbook irresponsible.

I mean... that first sentence is the beginning of irresponsible drone flight. Break it down:

"Flew 3.7 miles out (oh dear) over the port of Tacoma with a strong tailwind (OH DEAR) in sport mode (WHY, LORD, WHY?)."

Then....

"I'm tempted to just go buy another one but I have a feeling it won't be my last. Especially considering how much of a rush it is to take risks when flying."

My take: PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANOTHER ONE.

Like I said, I find it pretty hard to resist the rush of risky activity. Lifelong sport bike rider, vert skater.. etc. That said, I'm afraid if I give in to the temptation to go grab another drone, it won't be my last replacement. Is this the start of an expensive addiction? If so, maybe I should throw in the towel and let my goggles, controller, and extra batteries collect dust.

That might be a good suggestion. Can you get that kind of range and image quality for less money in a racing drone? I'm pretty new to drone flying other than owning a few cheap ones without gps or fpv. I won't go into detail as to where the last cheap drone I owned ended up :p

That might be a good suggestion. Can you get that kind of range and image quality for less money in a racing drone? I'm pretty new to drone flying other than owning a few cheap ones without gps or fpv. I won't go into detail as to where the last cheap drone I owned ended up :p
No...but you can go fast as ****

No, no and no. Racing quads are short range, but are a lot faster and a lot more responsive.

Typically, the Mavic does 40mph and costs about $1000. You can get a racing drone that will do 100mph for under $400 (spend more, and you'll hit 160+).

With a drone like the Mavic, there's a delay between your input and drone movement because you tell the on-board computer where you want the drone to go and it does the flying. With a racing quad, the delay is unnoticeable because your inputs control the speed of the motors.

The delay between video being sent back from the drone to your display device is also a lot lower for racing quads, because the quality is lower. You don't get 4K because the time required to encode and decode is too high. Instead, you get low-latency and low-quality.

Ultimately; a practiced FPV quad pilot could have done loops over and around the wires you crashed into with your Mavic.

Reactions: cgfriberg
Like I said, I find it pretty hard to resist the rush of risky activity. Lifelong sport bike rider, vert skater.. etc. That said, I'm afraid if I give in to the temptation to go grab another drone, it won't be my last replacement. Is this the start of an expensive addiction? If so, maybe I should throw in the towel and let my goggles, controller, and extra batteries collect dust.

Nah, don't let them get dusty. I'm up in Seattle and can keep them all warm, safe, and dust free. I promise to charge them up from time to time to make sure your investment stays safe. I'll even - I know, it sounds too good to be true - keep the Mavic for you in case you want to visit. Or tell it you're sorry. Or I can just send pictures if you can't make the trip.

That sounds pretty awesome. Although I love the range and image quality with the Mavic goggles. I'm not sure anyone could have avoided those wires though. I dodged 2 of them before hitting the third. Very hard to see coming at night with a black backdrop/sky.

No, no and no. Racing quads are short range, but are a lot faster and a lot more responsive.

Typically, the Mavic does 40mph and costs about $1000. You can get a racing drone that will do 100mph for under $400 (spend more, and you'll hit 160+).

With a drone like the Mavic, there's a delay between your input and drone movement because you tell the on-board computer where you want the drone to go and it does the flying. With a racing quad, the delay is unnoticeable because your inputs control the speed of the motors.

The delay between video being sent back from the drone to your display device is also a lot lower for racing quads, because the quality is lower. You don't get 4K because the time required to encode and decode is too high. Instead, you get low-latency and low-quality.

Ultimately; a practiced FPV quad pilot could have done loops over and around the wires you crashed into with your Mavic.

Nah, don't let them get dusty. I'm up in Seattle and can keep them all warm, safe, and dust free. I promise to charge them up from time to time to make sure your investment stays safe. I'll even - I know, it sounds too good to be true - keep the Mavic for you in case you want to visit. Or tell it you're sorry. Or I can just send pictures if you can't make the trip.
Ok, I'm on my way to BestBuy to grab another one (since I can't wait for a week for DJI to ship me one without controller or battery). Bets on how long the replacement lasts?

The problem with flights like this ( very poorly planned ) you are doing a distance flight in the wrong place really ( and yes I know you should keep vlos and not fly at night ) go risk the mavic falling out of the sky somewhere it won't potentially fall and hit someone or damage something .......

If you going to be irresponsible at least do it in open ground.

I am in now supporting this activity just saying there are better ways of doing this.

Reactions: DroneJI
Ok, I'm on my way to BestBuy to grab another one (since I can't wait for a week for DJI to ship me one without controller or battery). Bets on how long the replacement lasts?

If you're dead set on this course of action... keep the dead one. There's a chance you can put together a third from the broken parts of #1 and #2.

If you're dead set on this course of action... keep the dead one. There's a chance you can put together a third from the broken parts of #1 and #2.
I like this line of thinking. Although it seems the gimbals are most vulnerable and the gimbal on my current Mavic looks pretty well unsalvageable.

I dont see how you got so much range In the city like that. I am lucky to get a mile with all the city interference.

I understand the tendency to fly fast and hard while taking chances , but the Mavic is a flying high definition camera. Its intended purpose is not fast flying and raging all over the skies. It can do it, but at what cost?

I feel the impulse to push it to its limits and have full coverage insurance , but I use this one thing - SELF CONTROL. It is much harder to master than flying my Mavic Pro .

Please dont be "that guy" . The one who gives responsible drone operators a bad name. We all want this hobby to be around for a long time without additional unnecessary restrictions. The FAA and local governments are already waiting in the wings to stiffen regulations. Just a few combined catastrophes is all it will take.

I know you are indestructible as I once was , but other people and property are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123