DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has any one seen a 'daintier ' version of the mico-USB-socket to normal-USB-socket adapter than is shown in .........

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

I am still trying to find a controller to phone cable configuration, for when the phone is mounted in an elevated holder, that I am happy with.
My latest thought is use the std DJI cable and plug its 'phone end' into the above and then a 'normal' USB cable to connect from there to the phone. However the above appears rather 'chunky' and I think I would have to cut away the 'insulation' on the adapter to allow it to fit into the arm of the controller.

Can you not use a normal micro to USB cable & plug the other end into the bottom standard USB port on your controller.
That’s the way I did it when I used a tablet with my M2P

Reactions: vindibona1
Unfortunately not as I am hoping to use it. Besides which the mini's controller only has one port which is the 'accursed' mUSB type A socket on the side

Unfortunately not as I am hoping to use it. Besides which the mini's controller only has one port which is the 'accursed' mUSB type A socket on the side

I'm still trying to figure out what that port is exactly and what it's compatible with. You can charge the controller with a standard micro USB cable, but the end that plugs into the connector running to the phone is something I've never seen before. What connector is that???? It looks kind of like a USB-c, but then again not. i've never seen a rectangular port before. And does Mini's controller share the same cable as the controller for the M2?

I'm still trying to figure out what that port is exactly and what it's compatible with. You can charge the controller with a standard micro USB cable, but the end that plugs into the connector running to the phone is something I've never seen before. What connector is that???? It looks kind of like a USB-c, but then again not. i've never seen a rectangular port before. And does Mini's controller share the same cable as the controller for the M2?
I had never seen one before either, but it's called a micro-A. The typical micro-B is similar but with rounded corners on one side, and a micro-B plug will fit if you have it oriented correctly. The reason the micro-A is so rare is because it's such an obviously bad idea. :( ?

Last edited:
Reactions: THE CYBORG
If I remember correctly there is something in that wiki page that mentions or implies that the use of the micro USB type A socket, of perhaps OTG, is specified under the design protocols for the type of connection that exists between the controller and the screen device, or it may be the requirement for the charging current etc. The page is quite informative.
I also recollect one post by a DJI mod over on the DJI forum that mentions something about it.

Three types of controller-to-screen=device cables are supplied with the mini. The plug at the controller end of each of these three cables is a micro USB type A plug, the plug at the other end of each cable is either micro USB type B, or lightning, or USB_C. Lightning is obviously for Apple, the other two are just standard connections and not limited to use with android.
USB-C is the newer version of USB connection and possibly intended to be reversible but you would need to research that yourself.

Did you not get three such cables with your mini?

The 4th cable supplied with the mini is the charging cable supplied with the usual style, of USB type A plug (the big one) to micro USB type B plug found everywhere, I think it is data and charge capable.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember correctly there is something in that wiki page that mentions or implies that the use of the micro USB type A socket of perhaps OTG is specified under the design protocols for the type of connection that exists between the controller and the screen device, or it may be the requirement for the charging current etc, the page is quite informative. I also recollect one post by a DJI mod over on the DJI forum that mentions something about it

Three types of controller to screen device cables are supplied with the mini. The plug at the controller end of each of these three cables is a micro USB type A plug, the plug at the other end of each cable is either micro USB type B, or lightning, or USB_C.
Did you not get three such cables with your mini?

The 4th cable supplied with the mini is the charging cable supplied with the normal style of USB type A plug (the big one) to micro USB type B plug found everywhere, I think it is data and charge capable.

I think you're correct. Micro USB-A. I didn't even know such a thing existed. What perplexed me was that the controller is charged via Micro-B. Kind of strange to required two different plugs for different functions in the port, no?

I no longer find it strange, once I 'knew' that the type A socket is a requirement of the design protocols it is sort of understandable.
That said, its use for two purposes i.e. device connection and separately charging of the controller, is a bit of a daft idea since the type A socket allows attempts to fit a micro USB type B plug upside down and thereby possibly breaking the socket's connector.
A separate micro USB type B charging socket might have been a better idea if it doesn't contravene design rules

Last edited by a moderator:
Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought that you can either use the "A" type (which comes with the kit) at the controller end or the micro "B" type (oriented correctly so as to not physically damage the port) to either connect to a charger or to the phone/tablet?

You are correct, you can use A & B plugs in an A socket, both plugs require correct orientation.

You can not use an A plug in a B socket the housing of the A plug will not fit into a B socket.

I am still trying to find a controller to phone cable configuration, for when the phone is mounted in an elevated holder, that I am happy with.
My latest thought is use the std DJI cable and plug its 'phone end' into the above and then a 'normal' USB cable to connect from there to the phone. However the above appears rather 'chunky' and I think I would have to cut away the 'insulation' on the adapter to allow it to fit into the arm of the controller.
This? Silco 5in Micro USB to USB Female OTG Host Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

The Side port of the DJI controller is considered to be a data transmission port, and as such - it uses a Micro-USB A (rectangular) connector. This seems like a right mash-up, but technically it is correct because in the USB standards, a source of data should use the 'A' standard.
You can put a Micro-USB B plug into this socket (the one with the 45-degree chamfered edges), but be very careful, because it will only fit one-way-round without breaking the contact tongue in the middle of the Micro-A socket.
It is possible to get 'reversible' Micro-B cables that have a Micro-B plug on them that will connect either way round and will fit the Micro-A socket without putting pressure of the contact tongue. Although that helps for charging the controller, it won't provide the correct connector on the other end to go into your mobile device ...

Rev_usb.jpg

Thank 'guys' but those show male to female cables, what I am seeking is a female to female one piece adapter.

Well I got the adapter, as suspected I had to cut down the shell and was a bit too drastic on the first attempt I think, but it will do.......oh the left hand end is connected to the normal DJI micro USB controller to phone cable

Attachments

• mUSB female to USB female on mini.jpg
    mUSB female to USB female on mini.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 17
Would this work? U can get same thing with iPhone micro or c goes
Into phone and give usb port at phone then use a regular usb cord to go. From that to controller

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
No, sorry, that's male to female, mine is female to female. It's one of the controller charging and lifting the phone ideas I am playing with. But thanks anyway

U could patch one together by cutting the ends off two cables and joining the colours wires correctly and have whatever end u want lol

found a solution of sorts.
From the controller end, micro-USB-female-to USB-C_male (these all seem to be slim) into a USB-C_female-to-USB-type-A-male into a USB extension cable.

Attachments

• charging mavic ctr via orig cable.jpg
    charging mavic ctr via orig cable.jpg
    576.3 KB · Views: 6
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54