DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone adapted the DJI controller to work with a Samsung Tab A tablet?

Killfox

Reactions
First, I hope this question hasn't already been asked; I've searched and don't seem to see it.

Second, my question:

I find myself in possession of a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A (SM-T307U 8.4"). It would be a perfect size for my aging eyes, if it could fit the DJI controller.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an adapter to attach it to the controller? Or has anyone jerry-rigged some form of adapter and how?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: mereflyer
Sorry. I should have thought of that.
The controller that comes with the MA2. Not sure if there is a more specific name.

TIA
Plenty of variations on Amazon and Ebay...have you looked there? Been out long before the MA2 was a thing, going back to the MP1 series :) for example: https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Alloy-Foldable-Lanyard-Controller-Accessories/dp/B08912F17V/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3J4BMCJOSQ7WD&dchild=1&keywords=dji+mavic+air+2+tablet+adapter&qid=1609195470&sprefix=DJI+Mavic+Air+2+tablet,aps,203&sr=8-4

Search or goggle: dji mavic air 2 tablet adapter

Greetings
This is the controller for my MA 1 with my Samsung Galaxy Tab A mounted on LEKUFEE Lightweight Aluminum-Alloy Foldable Tablet Stand Holder

Attachments

• IMG_20201228_173659[1].jpg
    IMG_20201228_173659[1].jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20201228_173604[1].jpg
    IMG_20201228_173604[1].jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20201228_173617[1].jpg
    IMG_20201228_173617[1].jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20201228_174527[1].jpg
    IMG_20201228_174527[1].jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: Killfox
Plenty of variations on Amazon and Ebay...have you looked there? Been out long before the MA2 was a thing, going back to the MP1 series :) for example: https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Alloy-Foldable-Lanyard-Controller-Accessories/dp/B08912F17V/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3J4BMCJOSQ7WD&dchild=1&keywords=dji+mavic+air+2+tablet+adapter&qid=1609195470&sprefix=DJI+Mavic+Air+2+tablet,aps,203&sr=8-4

Search or goggle: dji mavic air 2 tablet adapter
This is perfect. Exactly what I was looking for.

I’m in Canada and this is not in the Amazon.ca store so I wouldn’t have found it. Ordered from the .com.
Many thanks.

First, I hope this question hasn't already been asked; I've searched and don't seem to see it.

Second, my question:

I find myself in possession of a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A (SM-T307U 8.4"). It would be a perfect size for my aging eyes, if it could fit the DJI controller.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an adapter to attach it to the controller? Or has anyone jerry-rigged some form of adapter and how?

Thanks in advance.
Which model tab A is it. This is is important as not all Tab A models, even of the same year, have a compass. It depends where it was purchased. In many parts of the world, such as the Asia Pacific region, TAB A does not have a compass. Check and google the model no and see if it includes a compass sensor.

Regarding the adapter, pgytech do a non metalic version which does not affect compass accuracy.

Which model tab A is it. This is is important as not all Tab A models, even of the same year, have a compass. It depends where it was purchased. In many parts of the world, such as the Asia Pacific region, TAB A does not have a compass. Check and google the model no and see if it includes a compass sensor.

Regarding the adapter, pgytech do a non metalic version which does not affect compass accuracy.
Thanks. I didn’t think of that.
Is a compass in the mobile device required if it has GPS and GLONASS?

Ali’s, doesn’t the drone have its own compass and GPS? The DJI Fly app installed without any warnings.

i normally fly with my iPhone. This tablet was a loyalty gift from my telco. I’d welcome guidance.

Thanks. I didn’t think of that.
Is a compass in the mobile device required if it has GPS and GLONASS?

Ali’s, doesn’t the drone have its own compass and GPS? The DJI Fly app installed without any warnings.

i normally fly with my iPhone. This tablet was a loyalty gift from my telco. I’d welcome guidance.

The drone will fly without a compass in the mobile device (it has its own internal compass and GPS chip), but DJI Fly uses the mobile device's compass to help show which direction the drone is to you. This is helpful if you lose sight of the drone and want to quickly figure out which direction you should be looking in.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Android (I am actually a big fan of Android). However, for Drones, they are not the most reliable choice. Depending on the intended market (ie US vs Europe), a compass sensor may not be installed. Don't assume because you live say in the US that it will be included. These days, devices can come from anywhere. As previously stated, it's not the device name that matters, but the model number, Check the tiny writing in near-invisible print colour on the back of the device (near the bottom connector I think) and google the specs to see if it includes a compass sensor.

This issue is compounded with the problem that most wifi only Android tablets of any model number do not have a compass sensor. It is mainly the Cellular models that may have one. Most if not all cheap Androids will not have this function. I know because I spent weeks looking, even bought a Tab A 10 inch and had to return it once I discovered this issue.

As Dawgpilot stated, no compass sensor = no compass function in the Fly app.
Iphones and most quality Android phones (= Samsung) have built-in compass sensors. Also, most cellular ipads and Ipad minis, have compasses. The Mini 5 cellular certainly does.

My advice would be to link it up, fly for a few minutes to let the app settle down, and check it out. If the fly app compass works and works accurately great, I doubt it will but you never know.

If you need a bigger screen, look online for a factory reconditioned Ipad Mini 4 cellular (perhaps even the wifi only, again check the model no specs online). It has a compass and can be picked up for a couple of hundred dollars. Most quality suppliers will give a warranty. Also check the apple site for recons as well as Kogan. Earlier Ipads/Minis may have a compass but will probably be too slow for the app.

Check out this website for some really good info. It might be a little out of date as things change quickly but is mostly accurate.

The Latest DJI Fly (DJI Mini 2 / Mavic Mini / Mavic Air 2) Compatible Phones list | Cult of Drone

Again, even with this info, check the model no specs if purchasing just to be certain that it has the sensor.

Regarding adaptors, get a plastic one as metal can throw out the compass by several degrees. Kind of important especially when flying in windy conditions!

Sorry this was a long reply but it's not a simple subject. Hope this helps. Happy flying

Last edited:
Wifi only Ipads have compasses, but they don't have GPS. Location services have other ways to approximate location but that could be several feet/meters off.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 has both.

But as was mentioned, mobile GPS/compass isn't needed for actual flight, it's only to help display your location and orientation relative to AC.

DanMan32 is correct. I initially purchased an iPad mini 5 with wifi only and found the map to be off by many metres when checked against a cellular device. If using apps like Litchi or Dronelink, this might be problematic as it may put you closer to problems than expected and also it may throw out find my drone.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Android (I am actually a big fan of Android). However, for Drones, they are not the most reliable choice. Depending on the intended market (ie US vs Europe), a compass sensor may not be installed. Don't assume because you live say in the US that it will be included. These days, devices can come from anywhere. As previously stated, it's not the device name that matters, but the model number, Check the tiny writing in near-invisible print colour on the back of the device (near the bottom connector I think) and google the specs to see if it includes a compass sensor.

This issue is compounded with the problem that most wifi only Android tablets of any model number do not have a compass sensor. It is mainly the Cellular models that may have one. Most if not all cheap Androids will not have this function. I know because I spent weeks looking, even bought a Tab A 10 inch and had to return it once I discovered this issue.

As Dawgpilot stated, no compass sensor = no compass function in the Fly app.
Iphones and most quality Android phones (= Samsung) have built-in compass sensors. Also, most cellular ipads and Ipad minis, have compasses. The Mini 5 cellular certainly does.

My advice would be to link it up, fly for a few minutes to let the app settle down, and check it out. If the fly app compass works and works accurately great, I doubt it will but you never know.

If you need a bigger screen, look online for a factory reconditioned Ipad Mini 4 cellular (perhaps even the wifi only, again check the model no specs online). It has a compass and can be picked up for a couple of hundred dollars. Most quality suppliers will give a warranty. Also check the apple site for recons as well as Kogan. Earlier Ipads/Minis may have a compass but will probably be too slow for the app.

Check out this website for some really good info. It might be a little out of date as things change quickly but is mostly accurate.

The Latest DJI Fly (DJI Mini 2 / Mavic Mini / Mavic Air 2) Compatible Phones list | Cult of Drone

Again, even with this info, check the model no specs if purchasing just to be certain that it has the sensor.

Regarding adaptors, get a plastic one as metal can throw out the compass by several degrees. Kind of important especially when flying in windy conditions!

Sorry this was a long reply but it's not a simple subject. Hope this helps. Happy flying

This is very helpful advice. I can confirm no compass.

As I mentioned this tablet was gifted to me and I thought this was a good assignment for it. But I'd rather be as full-featured as possible when I am flying the MA2 ... not a place to compromise.

I cancelled my initial tablet holder order after reading the first responses. Liking the idea of a larger screen more and more, I think I'll look for a refurbed iPad mini with cell/GPS/compass.

Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Crouching Leopard
This is very helpful advice. I can confirm no compass.

As I mentioned this tablet was gifted to me and I thought this was a good assignment for it. But I'd rather be as full-featured as possible when I am flying the MA2 ... not a place to compromise.

I cancelled my initial tablet holder order after reading the first responses. Liking the idea of a larger screen more and more, I think I'll look for a refurbed iPad mini with cell/GPS/compass.

Thanks for the advice.
Remember, 64 bit only. PGYTech does the correct tablet holder. They make 2 varieties for some reason, get the plastic one as it causes no deviation, and will def fit an iPad Mini. But anything nonferrous should do.

Personally, I wouldn't go for less than a mini 4 but a 3 may do the job.?

Używam czegoś takiego i jest bardzo dobre.
aliexpress.com/item/4001138158417.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27425c0fRtDqIM

May I ask Who makes the adapter and where are they available? Haven't seen that one in Australia
Yes, it just only can purchase in korea.
[email protected] : It is seller's e mail address

Ask if global sales and shipping are possible.

Ps : very expensive. 110,000KRW (About USD 95)

Seller's web :

Seller's info :

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka