DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone tried Plastidip on their drone?

BbqJoe

Reactions
I see a number of companies offering skins and wraps.
Some need hair dryers, some don't, some have awful reviews or need the precision of a brain surgeon to apply.
I'd really like something in a brilliant hunter orange, but have yet to find anyone that has an acceptable orange.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has tried using plastidip.

Thank you.

Joe

Reactions: Crashdummytest
I think it would take far more precision, time and effort to get even a half way decent job from a rattle can as opposed to a wrap. Wraps are easy and if you apply a piece slightly wrong, you can just reposition and the results look pretty good even if you've never done it before and, you can always remove them easily at anytime. The ones I used needed no special skills or tools.

To spray Plasti-Dip, there are so many little nooks and crannies, sensors and other vital areas that you would/should need to mask to keep overspray from fowling, I don't think it would be possible to end up with good results unless you're really good at such things. P1040139.png

The other thought would be would it cause extra heat to build up with the insulating qualities? Also, how might it affect the GPS system?

Reactions: svfdfireman
Just thoughts, maybe not good ones, but thoughts nonetheless.🙃

It is a great product Plastidip, I have used it on hand made PDR tools, non slip, or for cushioning a tool tip etc.
Very hardy.

Some paint their whole cars with plastidip, and while it would probably be good for stone chip resistance, I think it might be a little 'industrial' for most people, lol.

It is a great product Plastidip, I have used it on hand made PDR tools, non slip, or for cushioning a tool tip etc.
Very hardy.

Some paint their whole cars with plastidip, and while it would probably be good for stone chip resistance, I think it might be a little 'industrial' for most people, lol.
I'm all about industrial!
I've been curious about rattlecan plastidip for sometime.
I remember back in Jr high using the canned dip for handles on homemade trowels and stuff, but I've never tried the spray version. I've got a can coming soon to play with.
I want to see how easily it peels off stuff and the like.

Given my very short amount of seat time, I'd happily paint this thing with flubber if someone could direct me to a can!!! :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: PaulNH and Defens
I'm all about industrial!
I've been curious about rattlecan plastidip for sometime.
I remember back in Jr high using the canned dip for handles on homemade trowels and stuff, but I've never tried the spray version. I've got a can coming soon to play with.
I want to see how easily it peels off stuff and the like.

Given my very short amount of seat time, I'd happily paint this thing with flubber if someone could direct me to a can!!! :cool:

Ha ha awesome, industrial it is.
I too have mostly used the cans to dip tools etc, spray packs I thought (from experience) would be really hard to keep a nozzle working once it's had some sprayed through.

YouTube has plenty of good vids on using it, also removing it . . . a bit like a vehicle wrap or signwriting to remove, but that depends on how well it's prepped too (adhesion).

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=plastidip+spray

Ha ha awesome, industrial it is.
I too have mostly used the cans to dip tools etc, spray packs I thought (from experience) would be really hard to keep a nozzle working once it's had some sprayed through.

YouTube has plenty of good vids on using it, also removing it . . . a bit like a vehicle wrap or signwriting to remove, but that depends on how well it's prepped too (adhesion).

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=plastidip+spray

I'll watch them, thanks.
I have a few ideas....

I don’t know the decalgirl.com skins are pretty good and I’ve seen them on a ton of drones.

I don’t know the decalgirl.com skins are pretty good and I’ve seen them on a ton of drones.

Been around a long time too.
Even though I am a fine automotive spray painter, I would certainly skin a drone before 2k painting one.

They aren't expensive either, are they ?
Hmm, just checked, think they've gone up since I first looked at them some years ago, now US$35 (Decal Girl).
Still a small cost to customise and make you drone more personalised and / or visible.

I didn't see what I wanted at decalgirl, so I shot them an email asking what they might have in bright orange for the A2S. They said this was the brightest.
resizeddjima2s-solarstorm copy.jpeg
Not really what I'm seeking at all.

I came across the Japanese outfit which had the right color, but they didn't offer extra battery skins in the same color at all, and even on Amazon they were over a month out.

Many of the other sites had orange, but they were mostly more of a pastel then a brilliant or neon.

Reactions: Drone alone.
Update:
Found this Sopiguard.
This looks closer to what I think I need.

Then a few strobes....a siren, smoke trails, and auto parachute.
I'll never lose it.
Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 9.20.34 PM.jpg

Reactions: slozukimc
I used www.decalgirl.com on my MA2 over a year ago, and has stood the test of time very well. Sure it takes a couple of hours to apply, but worth it!

Attachments

• E57BF9E0-6D8F-4B2D-9030-9D214DDC20F8.jpeg
    E57BF9E0-6D8F-4B2D-9030-9D214DDC20F8.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 21
  • 7412563E-BD6D-417E-B4D6-8E11CF54975A.jpeg
    7412563E-BD6D-417E-B4D6-8E11CF54975A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 1810388E-0651-4366-8AC2-A06EDB78AB8C.jpeg
    1810388E-0651-4366-8AC2-A06EDB78AB8C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
Reactions: hiflyer201
Wrapgrade Japan offered high quality wraps. Tight tolerances. Easy to apply. I’ve used the wraps for 4 years. Highly recommended.

I see a number of companies offering skins and wraps.
Some need hair dryers, some don't, some have awful reviews or need the precision of a brain surgeon to apply.
I'd really like something in a brilliant hunter orange, but have yet to find anyone that has an acceptable orange.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has tried using plastidip.

Thank you.

Joe
Interesting challenge Bbqjoe.... a couple of questions for you:
1) if your visibility issue is for in-flight help, I'd caution you to be careful of expectations. Your drone may not be much more visible in the sky, at distance. Just sayin. Hope I'm wrong....probably am.
2) plastidip may add unwanted weight. What about using some 'plastic-friendly' neon spray paint?
Just tape off what you DON'T want covered and y'all are good to go.??

The other thought would be would it cause extra heat to build up with the insulating qualities? Also, how might it affect the GPS system?
No, not from my experience, and all my drones has skins. Try decalgirl, make sure you choose the glossy finish. The matte is just drab.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Interesting challenge Bbqjoe.... a couple of questions for you:
1) if your visibility issue is for in-flight help, I'd caution you to be careful of expectations. Your drone may not be much more visible in the sky, at distance. Just sayin. Hope I'm wrong....probably am.
2) plastidip may add unwanted weight. What about using some 'plastic-friendly' neon spray paint?
Just tape off what you DON'T want covered and y'all are good to go.??
They're not going to do much for visibility but if you can do a jigsaw puzzle you can easily do a skin.
I'll try the one I ordered, and if it doesn't do much for visibility, I'll take it off, and maybe decorate my dog!🤣

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27