DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone tried the bottom Strobe spotlight kit w/mount for the MM yet by Firehouse Technologies ?

Hill Top Rez

Reactions
I am a new drone pilot and just purchased a Mini. I did RC gliders a number of years ago and decided to get back into flying now that I recently retired. I love the Mini and it has performed for me very well on my first few flights. I do have trouble losing it when it get out from me on a sunny day and wondered if a light plus some red skin on it would help. I was looking at the kit with a mount that fits under the Mini and serves as a landing structure also from Firehouse Technologies and wondered if this is a good strobe for the Mini. Any help is great appreciated.

US$40 is a bargain.
The ARCII strobe is great for a mini, in that bracket it doesn't interfere too much, minimal weight and just a little more wind resistance, but shouldn't affect flight times more than maybe a minute or so if moving around a fair amount.

I think others here have purchased the bracket / kit for theirs, so maybe they will reply.
Mostly wanted to assure you you can see the ARCII at various angles out to 90 degrees, it's not quite as bright when at that acute an angle, but then mostly you'll be above your Mini when in flight, so it should be visible really easily.

The ARCII is bright when starting up, good it's under the mini until airborne, so just get it away a little before looking directly at it, or you'll have trouble reading your telemetry for a couple of minutes.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I was looking at the kit with a mount that fits under the Mini and serves as a landing structure also from Firehouse Technologies and wondered if this is a good strobe for the Mini. Any help is great appreciated.

Welcome to the forum! I have this bottom mount (light gray material) for the Arc II for my Mini, typically used for sunset and sunrise flights. When used during the day the light facing downward helps me when approaching 1000-foot distance. Since the Mini is barely visible to me at that distance, the strobe helps me locate it in the sky.

I see they now offer a smaller version of their L.A.N.D. (lost aircraft notification device) technology for this Mini mount, which emits a loud 90dB alarm should you crash your Mini, and need audible assistance in locating it in tall grass or foliage. I would suggest this model since I’m going to order one myself. I have the larger Arc XL with L.A.N.D. for my M2P, which works well for greater visibility and peace of mind.

Additionally, I can state with certainty that any color wrap you apply to your Mini will all look the same color when only 150 feet above you, so the Firehouse strobe helps you visually acquire your drone when needed.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Welcome to the forum! I have this bottom mount (light gray material) for the Arc II for my Mini, typically used for sunset and sunrise flights. When used during the day the light facing downward helps me when approaching 1000-foot distance. Since the Mini is barely visible to me at that distance, the strobe helps me locate it in the sky.

I see they now offer a smaller version of their L.A.N.D. (lost aircraft notification device) technology for this Mini mount, which emits a loud 90dB alarm should you crash your Mini, and need audible assistance in locating it in tall grass or foliage. I would suggest this model since I’m going to order one myself. I have the larger Arc XL with L.A.N.D. for my M2P, which works well for greater visibility and peace of mind.

Additionally, I can state with certainty that any color wrap you apply to your Mini will all look the same color when only 150 feet above you, so the Firehouse strobe helps you visually acquire your drone when needed.

Thank you very much for the information. I appreciate it. I am glad I found this forum as I have learned so much just in the first few days since I joined. I live in a rural area in the mountains of Central PA so I am mostly flying over wooded areas and the L.A.N.D. sounds like a good investment. I wonder how long it will sound an alarm once it goes off. I will purchase the bottom mount strobe as it looks like a great strobe and I see a lot of people recommending the Firehouse Technologies products.

Thanks again,

Thank you very much for the information. I appreciate it. I am glad I found this forum as I have learned so much just in the first few days since I joined. I live in a rural area in the mountains of Central PA so I am mostly flying over wooded areas and the L.A.N.D. sounds like a good investment. I wonder how long it will sound an alarm once it goes off. I will purchase the bottom mount strobe as it looks like a great strobe and I see a lot of people recommending the Firehouse Technologies products.

Thanks again,
One other question, what is the best color to get to see at a distance?

I wonder how long it will sound an alarm once it goes off.

Per Firehouse Technology: “If your aircraft goes down and is lost, and the L.A.N.D system module does not detect movement for 4 Minutes it will go into alarm sounding the alarm and the strobe. Simple move it slightly to reset.“

As for best color, white through black looks like a speck in the sky no matter the color. Since your flying in the forest, you will want a bright color that contrasts with the color of leaves in case it gets stuck aloft.

I grew up around the Maryland and Virginia hills, so I would imagine your view is beautiful up there. I look forward to seeing your footage.

Last edited:
Per Firehouse Technology: “If your aircraft goes down and is lost, and the L.A.N.D system module does not detect movement for 4 Minutes it will go into alarm sounding the alarm and the strobe. Simple move it slightly to reset.“

As for best color, white through black looks like a speck in the sky no matter the color. Since your flying in the forest, you will want a bright color that contrasts with the color of leaves in case it gets stuck aloft.

I grew up around the Maryland and Virginia hills, so I would imagine your view is beautiful up there. I look forward to seeing your footage from up there.

Yes, it is beautiful around here as is Virginia and Maryland. I love the Skyline Drive in VA, it is so beautiful. I will post some pictures this evening. So you think white would be better than red? I do not want green or blue for what I want it for but was trying to decide between red or white. Thank you,

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

I grew up around the Maryland and Virginia hills, so I would imagine your view is beautiful up there. I look forward to seeing your footage.

Here are a video of one of my first flights I made above my house. The farm in the video is where I grew up and my nephew now lives. I moved across the road and built a home after I got married in the 70's. Some of the video is jerky as I am still getting the hang of smooth movements.
Yes, it is beautiful around here as is Virginia and Maryland. I love the Skyline Drive in VA, it is so beautiful. I will post some pictures this evening. So you think white would be better than red? I do not want green or blue for what I want it for but was trying to decide between red or white. Thank you,

I tried to upload a video of one of my first flights for you in mp4 but it said it was not an acceptable file. How do you upload video to the forum? Sorry, new to this.

I am a new drone pilot and just purchased a Mini. I did RC gliders a number of years ago and decided to get back into flying now that I recently retired. I love the Mini and it has performed for me very well on my first few flights. I do have trouble losing it when it get out from me on a sunny day and wondered if a light plus some red skin on it would help. I was looking at the kit with a mount that fits under the Mini and serves as a landing structure also from Firehouse Technologies and wondered if this is a good strobe for the Mini. Any help is great appreciated.
I, too, flew RC gliders and a few electric prop fixed wing planes in the past. I wondered whether you have the same problem that I do. I am used to back stick to 'up elevator' and forward for down....With my Mini, a first drone owner, the stick orientation is backwards for me. Naturally the stick forward adds power so the drone lifts....But, my old habits caused me to 'auger in' to some weeds when I went back stick thinking I'd rise over them....oops...No damage...
I'm also looking to add a bright strobe to re-orient my eyes to the drone after looking down momentarily.
Most recommendations lean towards the 'Firehouse' brand but on YouTube some are showing good results with a 'cree' whatever that is.
For re-charging these strobes there seem to be many options such as USB micro, USB 'C' which new phones and devices are leaning towards, and a few have tiny connectors like what I was using to charge a cheap $50 drone battery. I don't care for those at all.
Anyway, I guess that we're both learning together....Having fun taking videos and still shots though....ENJOY!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov