DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has the "drone always in sight rule" been thrown out? (Canada)

fjc

Reactions
So, just checking, with the follow me technology almost flawless especially with the Mavic 3 and Skydio drones, is it still a requirement to have eyes on the drone at all times? For example, Skydio and DJI both feature their follow me capabilities, but that would mean you're not watching the drone, so what gives with that? Any comments? Thanks

Has it been thrown out ... no, still applies in most countries worldwide.

Even though you have a gadget that hopefully can manage on it's own for awhile without you looking at it, Visual Line Of Sight still commonly applies.

If your logic would work we should be able to buy cars that can exceed the speed limits ... & by that it would be OK to disobey the speed limits. 😁

So, just checking, with the follow me technology almost flawless especially with the Mavic 3 and Skydio drones, is it still a requirement to have eyes on the drone at all times? For example, Skydio and DJI both feature their follow me capabilities, but that would mean you're not watching the drone, so what gives with that? Any comments? Thanks
Well how about goggles DJI has a great intro racing between canyon walls no way you could see the drone!
And how about connection issues? Cool video may be a little miss leading though :oops:

I break that rule every time I fly and look down at my controller.
Not if you have a spotter standing beside you. But with follow me, it's not possible have a spotter as you're racing down a steep incline on your mountain bike and your drone trailing behind you. Even if you had a spotter behind you, he'd be crashing by not watching where he's going. That's the scenario I'm referring to. But I suppose you'd be breaking rules anyway because as the pilot you wouldn't have continuous control of the drone anyway. I suppose in the long run you just do what you want within reason and hope not to have an accident where you could get sued, etc etc..

Well, that 4G dongle for M3 would certainly be useful - but not much in VLOS context..

Honestly, if you watch Skydio ads they really do highlight the AI controlling the flight. What they advertise sure would be hard with a spotter.

Mike

Reactions: Droniac
Well how about goggles DJI has a great intro racing between canyon walls no way you could see the drone!
And how about connection issues? Cool video may be a little miss leading though :oops:
It's called a spotter required when using goggles. Also helps in flying when not using goggles and you want to keep an eye on the drone, but the pilot wants to see what they are videoing / taking pics off while flying.

As long as within earshot / talking range - spotters are a good thing and within the rules.

Honestly, if you watch Skydio ads they really do highlight the AI controlling the flight. What they advertise sure would be hard with a spotter.

Mike
All drone manufacturers show and tell the specs - like you can fly the drone for 5 miles; but rules in most countries do not allow such long range flights. Yet, so many get that idea wrapped in their heads and want to give it a try before knowing (or maybe knowing and do what they want anyway) the rules of the land. That's when trouble starts.

Would be advisable for DJI and others when marketing the drones to simply state what can be an expected range - say for US - you can fly .5 - 1 mile with strobes / etc to help stop the "got to try to see if what DJI says is true or not" and stay within the rules.

There's never been a requirement that you have your eyes on the drone at all times. The requirement is that you be ABLE to see it. That's why looking down at your screen...even a lot...is perfectly legal, as long as you are ABLE to look up and see it at all times.

If you're riding your bike and the drone is behind you following, that's different. I don't see how that could count as meeting VLOS.

TCS

There's never been a requirement that you have your eyes on the drone at all times. The requirement is that you be ABLE to see it. That's why looking down at your screen...even a lot...is perfectly legal, as long as you are ABLE to look up and see it at all times.

If you're riding your bike and the drone is behind you following, that's different. I don't see how that could count as meeting VLOS.

TCS
Looking at it that way seems to leave room for interpretation. Like, on the bike, you could stop and look at the drone. Or with FPV you could flip them up and see the drone.

Are you certain that is how it is intended?

Edit: Seems it is written to say the UAV must remain within VLOS of the operator. I think within rather than in is key to your point. Keeping it within VLOS does not mean constant eye contact like you said. Keeping it in VLOS would. So, seeing that, let’s consider <500m to be VLOS. Does that mean that flying an FPV within 500m is legal as long as you can flip up the goggles and point out the drone at any point in the flight?

Mike

Last edited:
Looking at it that way seems to leave room for interpretation. Like, on the bike, you could stop and look at the drone. Or with FPV you could flip them up and see the drone.

Are you certain that is how it is intended?

Edit: Seems it is written to say the UAV must remain within VLOS of the operator. I think within rather than in is key to your point. Keeping it within VLOS does not mean constant eye contact like you said. Keeping it in VLOS would. So, seeing that, let’s consider <500m to be VLOS. Does that mean that flying an FPV within 500m is legal as long as you can flip up the goggles and point out the drone at any point in the flight?

Mike
Goggles are a "gray" area for sure, but from what I've seen and read - unless you have a spotter when using goggles - then you're not in VLOS.

I'm not sure HOW you'd be able to "flip" the goggles up and know the location of the drone - since all vision is reduced to what you see thru the goggles. Sure, you may have a general idea of where the drone is, but not like when you fly without them. When I and I'd assume others fly (without goggles) we watch the drone as it takes off and moves toward where we want to fly. We don't typically watch the screen feed till the drone is up and out and may simply take glances at the screen to see what the drone sees and determine if we want to take pics or video. You don't do that with goggles at all from those I've seen use them. You have them on when taking off and going out - so no real "eyes" on the drone (VLOS) during flight.

Bottom line - if you want to fly with goggles - use a spotter. Yet, as with all things drone flying - you have to make the call on all things flying and be ready to accept the consequences for your actions.

Goggles are a "gray" area for sure, but from what I've seen and read - unless you have a spotter when using goggles - then you're not in VLOS.

I'm not sure HOW you'd be able to "flip" the goggles up and know the location of the drone - since all vision is reduced to what you see thru the goggles. Sure, you may have a general idea of where the drone is, but not like when you fly without them. When I and I'd assume others fly (without goggles) we watch the drone as it takes off and moves toward where we want to fly. We don't typically watch the screen feed till the drone is up and out and may simply take glances at the screen to see what the drone sees and determine if we want to take pics or video. You don't do that with goggles at all from those I've seen use them. You have them on when taking off and going out - so no real "eyes" on the drone (VLOS) during flight.

Bottom line - if you want to fly with goggles - use a spotter. Yet, as with all things drone flying - you have to make the call on all things flying and be ready to accept the consequences for your actions.
I am not sure about any of it. Lol. My Goggles RE show everything that is on the phone screen so flying from just the goggles is possible but any time I have used them the drone is up and away from things before I flip them down. I suppose I could watch the instruments and do a pretty good job of keeping it close enough to spot with a flip of the goggles but it sure wouldn’t be easy.

Any lawyers wanna take a shot at this one?

Mike

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake