DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have anybody tried to hack into pano settings on the M2P?

paulatkin73

Reactions
Hi, i wonder if it is possible to alter any of existing parameters to remap any of M2P pano modes and open up something that would work in a same way as a super resolution pano works on the M2Z.
On M2Z super res takes a central shot, then a 3x3 shots matrix - BUT - it takes to consideration the current angle of the gimbal, so, if you point at anything and gimbal pitch was set to look at that object - your pano is made around of that point of interest.

I do not seem to make it work on M2P no matter what i try - any pano mode seems to be setting gimbal back to horizontal level, then take those shots, as specified by the selected pano mode, from the horizon level. It is better than nothing, obviously, but, not really what would be ideal. Also, it seems that the 3x3 pano it makes is always distorted. Dunno if i should re-flash my M2P, but, i do not think it is a firmware issue. So, have anybody had a chance to dig deeper into all that?
i really do not see how it would be not possible to make that super res algorithm to work on the M2P in a same way, minus zooming. should be doable?

Last edited:
Hi, i wonder if it is possible to alter any of existing parameters to remap any of M2P pano modes and open up something that would work in a same way as a super resolution pano works on the M2Z.
On M2Z super res takes a central shot, then a 3x3 shots matrix - BUT - it takes to consideration the current angle of the gimbal, so, if you point at anything and gimbal pitch was set to look at that object - your pano is made around of that point of interest.

I do not seem to make it work on M2P no matter what i try - any pano mode seems to be setting gimbal back to horizontal level, then take those shots, as specified by the selected pano mode, from the horizon level. It is better than nothing, obviously, but, not really what would be ideal. Also, it seems that the 3x3 pano it makes is always distorted. Dunno if i should re-flash my M2P, but, i do not think it is a firmware issue. So, have anybody had a chance to dig deeper into all that?
i really do not see how it would be not possible to make that super res algorithm to work on the M2P in a same way, minus zooming. should be doable?

I think you could do this with Drone blocks if you know the angles you wanted to move the camera to and then stitch the images offline.

The hack is to fit the zoom camera to the pro.

To get the effect in the pro simply fly back from your image and shoot your pano.

Same fov with more pixels.

I think you could do this with Drone blocks if you know the angles you wanted to move the camera to and then stitch the images offline.
switching to a different controlling app is a bit too much, i think it should be as simple as a specific parameter # defining the identifier of the pano routine sequence to be sent for the execution. but, who knows.

I am using auto pano occasionally and doing manual shots every now and then, Lightroom makes life easy with HDR and pano stitching features integrated.

So, just shoot all you need with some 20-25% extra coverage and same overlap, then stitch it offline and cut the part you like. Although, that’s going to require some processing power/time, the results will be worlds better.
Next, try the same manual pano with Auto Exposure Bracketing 5 in RAW. That thing blew my mind.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
I am using auto pano occasionally and doing manual shots every now and then, Lightroom makes life easy with HDR and pano stitching features integrated.

So, just shoot all you need with some 20-25% extra coverage and same overlap, then stitch it offline and cut the part you like. Although, that’s going to require some processing power/time, the results will be worlds better.
Next, try the same manual pano with Auto Exposure Bracketing 5 in RAW. That thing blew my mind.

When you say a manual pano with AEB, do you mean manually moving the Mavic for each photo in the panorama and at each position taken a set of bracketed shots? If so, how do you merge them in Lightroom? I know it can handle HDR and Panoramas, do you merge in two stages?

What I would like to do is have the M2Z shoot the Spherical Pano at the 2x zoom instead of 1x. It would take longer and require far more photos, but the detail while zooming into the pano after would be far greater. It could be done manually, but that is far too labor intensive. What I do instead is shoot the Spherical Pano with the M2P with 20MP stills instead of 12MP stills. Same effective result after, if you save the original jpg images (unfortunately, the DNG GPS data can't be read by the stitching programs) and recreate the stitch in PanoramaStudio Pro at full resolution.

When you say a manual pano with AEB, do you mean manually moving the Mavic for each photo in the panorama and at each position taken a set of bracketed shots? If so, how do you merge them in Lightroom? I know it can handle HDR and Panoramas, do you merge in two stages?
Hi John.
Yes, you are perfectly right.
I keep working with DNGs the whole time and I trash all source files once either HDR or Pano or HDR-Pano is complete.
There are a few of issues with this approach:
  • machine should be powerful enough to process huge files, otherwise it is a torture
  • Lightroom doesn't always do a good job in stitching pano nor does it provide any control over the process. I have used PTGui in the past and that was fantastic. However, I'm not working on any commercial project at the moment and LR does a decent job for me.
  • And at last, since drone does move slightly, that makes close-up panos rather hard to get, however, several attempts should do the trick.

...(unfortunately, the DNG GPS data can't be read by the stitching programs)...
LR seems to record GPS into resulting file EXIF. Although, doesn't provide any control over pano stitching process.

LR seems to record GPS into resulting file EXIF. Although, doesn't provide any control over pano stitching process.
The GPS data is there in the DNG, but PanoramaStudio Pro can't read it because it is proprietary and nonstandard, according to the developer, and therefore it can't position the panorama on the google map properly, like it can when using original jpg's. GPS can be copied over from the stitched .jpg that GO 4 recorded on the microSD card, but that is a real pain, as is inputting it based upon knowing the location on google maps. The original jpg's are good enough, though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest