DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have I missed the point? Mavic 2 Air battery charger

worldtraveller

Reactions
I wonder if I have missed the point of the triple battery charger that is part of the Mavic 2 Air Fly More combo.

Very nice idea I thought BUT it only charges one battery at a time. I assumed that a multiple battery charger would charge ALL the batteries at the same time, but apparently not. Seems to defeat the purpose.

Jerry

Reactions: Roy1957 and E90RAW
You are correct. It decides which battery needs the least amount of charge and starts there. Then starts the process again with the remaining batteries.
The mavic mini fly more charger works the same way.

I wonder if I have missed the point of the triple battery charger that is part of the Mavic 2 Air Fly More combo.

Very nice idea I thought BUT it only charges one battery at a time. I assumed that a multiple battery charger would charge ALL the batteries at the same time, but apparently not. Seems to defeat the purpose.

Jerry
The intent is to charge the battery with the most charge first, then the next fullest, and so on. It will get you flying sooner as opposed to waiting for all 3 to charge up. This is the logic DJI used for when they designed this charging hub.

I'd guess the total charge time for all '3' batteries would be similar whether it charged them simultaneously or sequentially. Sequentially gives you a fully charged battery as quickly as possible just in case you wanted to get flying as soon as possible.
I wonder if it is also 'easier' on the actual charger itself as charging all 3 simultaneously could lead to the charger running, literally, hot for extended periods of time, though that consideration has to be balanced against the increased number of heating cooling cycles which result from sequential charging

Reactions: E90RAW
The intent is to charge the battery with the most charge first, then the next fullest, and so on. It will get you flying sooner as opposed to waiting for all 3 to charge up. This is the logic DJI used for when they designed this charging hub.

I agree to a point, great if you only want to go fly with one battery.

If DJI made a chargers that charged all at the same time that would still charge the one with the most charge first but charge the others simultaneously therefore greatly cutting down the time charging all your battery's for a days flying.

Simultaneous chargers for DJI products are available from other manufacturers so why don’t DJI do it even if it is as an upgrade.

I have one for my Xiaomi 4K & can charge 4 with that in the time it takes to charge 1 for my DJI.

I agree to a point, great if you only want to go fly with one battery.

If DJI made a chargers that charged all at the same time that would still charge the one with the most charge first but charge the others simultaneously therefore greatly cutting down the time charging all your battery's for a days flying.

Simultaneous chargers for DJI products are available from other manufacturers so why don’t DJI do it even if it is as an upgrade.

I have one for my Xiaomi 4K & can charge 4 with that in the time it takes to charge 1 for my DJI.
On the M2P the first battery in gets charged, not charge related. It really is a pain to wait for multiple batts to charge. It takes HOURS.

Reactions: Bernard
Dji missed the boat when it comes to chargers. It makes no sense not to charge all batteries at the same time. We have the technology!

Yep. I was wondering why it charger charges 3 batteries one-by-one and not in parallel and I think it's because of the maximum output power charger gives. If 3 batteries would be charging in parallel, charging would need more time (output power would be distributed for 3 batteries) or more efficient charger.

Reactions: E90RAW
The triple charger is a convenience benefit, that's it. It lets you plop all three batteries on the charger and not worry about swapping them as they become full. It doesn't change the total charging time for multiple batteries though.

See at Amazon Hanatora multi charger for the MA2

• This charger can charge 4 batteries & remote controller simultaneously. It takes only 110 mins to fully charge 4 batteries
  • Input: 110-240V; Output: 13.2V 8A (branch: 13.2V 2A);USB Output: 5V 3A

On the M2P the first battery in gets charged, not charge related. It really is a pain to wait for multiple batts to charge. It takes HOURS.
I charge the Fly More 3 batteries the night before a planned flight op or top up on the morning and have plenty of power for flying. If someone needs more, buy another triple bank with batteries and do the same the night before; and perhaps buy the 12v car adaptor (which I also have).

The above statement is not accurate. I have personally tested this with Mavic 2 Zoom batteries (same as Mavic 2 Pro), and I assume it is the same for the Air 2. First I put in a battery around 30% charge level and it starts charging after a second or two. Then I put one in at around 50% and after a few seconds, the 1st one @30% stops charging and the 50% one starts charging. Next, put a 3rd battery in at 70% and then (again after a few seconds) the 50% battery stops charging and the 70% starts up. So it is constantly monitoring the charge levels on all all batteries in the charging hub and charges the one closest to 100%.

Reactions: bp328i
The above statement is not accurate. I have personally tested this with Mavic 2 Zoom batteries (same as Mavic 2 Pro), and I assume it is the same for the Air 2. First I put in a battery around 30% charge level and it starts charging after a second or two. Then I put one in at around 50% and after a few seconds, the 1st one @30% stops charging and the 50% one starts charging. Next, put a 3rd battery in at 70% and then (again after a few seconds) the 50% battery stops charging and the 70% starts up. So it is constantly monitoring the charge levels on all all batteries in the charging hub and charges the one closest to 100%.
You may be correct the way you are doing it. I load the hub with all four and then plug in and it starts with the first and then so on. I run my batts low (20%) so I don't specifically look at whom is doing what as all my batts are about the same volts when I finish. But it always starts with the first one I placed which I guess is meaningless if they are all approximately the same total volts remaining.

I agree with David..buy more batteries.. but does anyone else have the idea that the Air 2 Batteries charge slower and run much cooler than the Air 1?
Airdata seems to verify to me that they run cooler

Reactions: itsneedtokno
the main reason that DJI dont supply multi chargers that charge all the batteries at once is cost and size ,as in packaging ,i have a aftermarket triple charger for my MPP that is quite sustancial and has a built in fan and usb outlets as well ,it can charge 3 batteries in the time it takes the DJI brick to charge one ,and also you have to remember that if you buy the single battery drone package, then you would not need a multi charger,thats why to simplify things DJI supply a standard charger for the no of cells that the battery has,and as has been stated the charging hub is a way of charging up to 4 batteries,starting with the one with the most charge left in it, and saves having to keep swapping them out as each one becomes fully charged

I think the missed point is:

You can plug in 3 batteries and it will take them all to 100% without further intervention.

I agree with David..buy more batteries.. but does anyone else have the idea that the Air 2 Batteries charge slower and run much cooler than the Air 1?
Airdata seems to verify to me that they run cooler

I do fine they run relatively cool compared to previous drones. Think the hottest I've seen is 127F. My Air has a couple of flights over 140F.

The multi port charger is great as I can charge the batteries at night before I plan to go out the next morning. Then as I use them they charge in essence they way I flew them to help allow the most recent one used to cool before it starts charging. It really works great with the fly more combo.

With the OG Air it was not as good strictly do to the 13-15 minute flight time difference. For that one I bought a few extra batteries (5 total) and a charger that could charge 4 at a time. Even though I let them cool, I experienced swelling in three batteries. So this time I am doing it the way the manufacturer suggests.

As others suggest, if you need more then the 75-90 minutes the fly more combo offers, pick up an extra battery. Long term your batteries will be happier and you will get even more time in the air.

There are several reasons dji only sells this type of charger. All of them are about money. Just like several here have suggested...buy more batteries.
It cost more to make a charger that charges all the batteries at once. When you buy dji drones, no one asks “Does your charger charge all batteries at once.” So why would dji spend more Money on each kit if it doesn’t sell more Kits.
As always, follow the money.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb