DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have we decided where best to mount a Lume Cube?

Thmoore

Premium Pilot
Reactions
My Mini is freshly back from the DJI repair shop (a totally new unit, as some of you predicted...). The Lume Cube I received for Christmas is now ready to be installed. Is there a consensus about the best place to put it?

The battery cover isn’t quite big enough to hold it. Underneath seems like it would be quite visible – but totally unwise. Plenty of room on top, but can you still see the light if it’s there?

Thanks!

Tom

Center of gravity of the craft to spread the load to the motors evenly. This will maximize stability and responsiveness. Also minimize the chance of blow away

Reactions: Thmoore
Can the mini even carry a lume cube safely ?

Do you need for illumination or visibility

If it's visibility then I'd consider the Strobon Cree - White units, they weigh next to nothing and if you put one on each of the rear legs.

dji strobon mounts - Copy.jpg

LumeCubes are wonderfully bright, but they weigh about 3.6 ounce, more than 1/3 of the drone's weight. Mavic Mini accessories are showing up at Amazon. Searching for Mavic Mini Headlights gets a few lighter-weight alternatives that put a little LED light at what looks like the COG.

Amazon.com : Gotd Clearance Multiple Modes 360 Degree Flashlight Headlamp Night Light LED Lamp Searchlight for DJI Mavic Mini Part : Sports & Outdoors

I didn't find a weight, but I've got similar little LED lights and they weigh about 3/4 Ounce. I'm sure it's nowhere near as bright as a LumeCube, but they're a lot lighter...

Reactions: Thmoore
LumeCubes are wonderfully bright, but they weigh about 3.6 ounce, more than 1/3 of the drone's weight. Mavic Mini accessories are showing up at Amazon. Searching for Mavic Mini Headlights gets a few lighter-weight alternatives that put a little LED light at what looks like the COG.

Amazon.com : Gotd Clearance Multiple Modes 360 Degree Flashlight Headlamp Night Light LED Lamp Searchlight for DJI Mavic Mini Part : Sports & Outdoors

I didn't find a weight, but I've got similar little LED lights and they weigh about 3/4 Ounce. I'm sure it's nowhere near as bright as a LumeCube, but they're a lot lighter...
"they weigh about 3.6 ounce"

I believe you are off by 10x. I just got a Lume Cube and put it on my scale - it's 0.36 ounces, or about 1/100 the weight of an Air 2.

My Mini is freshly back from the DJI repair shop (a totally new unit, as some of you predicted...). The Lume Cube I received for Christmas is now ready to be installed. Is there a consensus about the best place to put it?

The battery cover isn’t quite big enough to hold it. Underneath seems like it would be quite visible – but totally unwise. Plenty of room on top, but can you still see the light if it’s there?

Thanks!

Tom
On your desktop if it’s for VLOS purposes. Get a Firehouse light for that.

You are correct and I provided erroneous information. I went to their site and queried "how much does LumeCube strobe weigh?" I got the 99g response. It turns out that this was the weight of a now discontinued model. Current model, and the one that is the subject of this discussion, rather than an actual bulky cube, is actually less than .4 ounces which is what you said in the first place.

Sorry about that and let's just pretend I didn't say anything.

Reactions: Dangerly
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore