DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

have you ever let a stranger fly your Mavic?

Gary cato

Reactions
I was flying today and two young lads came over on their bikes. They stopped and chatted and were really polite not the usual lout.

they asked sensible question not the normal how much and how high stuff.

They stayed chatting through my first battery.

they were around 18 years old at a guess, I thought **** it so i took the drone up away from tree height and told him that as long as he followed every word i said he could have a go.

basics one stick at a time, forwards, back, yaw, other stick up down and rotate.

then i let him work it alone while i spotted the drone.

Man these playstation kids can get the hang of the Mavic so fast. Within ten mi utes i was confident to give him a go in sports mode.

then i just stood back and let him go with it. He flew it really smooth and very well. i was quite impressed with how fast he got to grips with it.

after an hour i had to go.

both said that they start saving today for a drone.

two days flying 17 people approached me, not one bad comment and two lads could not stop saying thanks for handing them the control they could not believe i did that. When i told them the cost they were even more thankful.

two great days messing around in the park.

No I haven't, but it has occurred to me that the situation might arise, either by my having an instinctive feel, as you did, that they could be trusted, OR, perhaps trickier, that I would want to refuse them while I'm in a very vulnerable situation. I could hit RTH, without telling them, and pay more attention (covertly) to the strangers while they are watching the aircraft, then land and take it into safer custody, away from battery expiry.

Today I was spotted by the local junior school children when they were in their playground. (Well over 100 metres away, while I was limited to my Beginners 30 metres). I could hear the noise level, and see them clustered at the gates, but that was as close as it's got, and I'm content with that.

Good for you in having the 'courage of your convictions'.

Reactions: Gary cato
I've let my 12 year old daughter and a few of her friends fly mine several times while I stood by watching (closely). I just get it up higher than any obstacles and tell her she if she touches the LEFT stick at all I will cut her hand off. Then I let her go crazy with the right stick. She loves it for about 5 minutes.

Great stuff - really good to share a hobby with someone like that - congrats on being generous enough to take the risk - not sure how I'd feel about that but I'd like to think I'd do the same.

I wont be doing it much i will be honest but i just felt on this occasion i could handle them both ok. (and yes i did tell him at the start if he touched the left stick it meant instant death)

he got close to some kids at the start, who were waving at him. i told him quite friendly but firmly that it was better he stayed well away for anyone and explained why and he just did everything i asked.

When i said go he went when i said stop he did, when i said give me back my Mavic pls it is mine, he did.

i guess after years on the street it was just a gut feeling and i was in a good mood which does not occur that often.

still quote gratifying though to see the fun in their faces.

Reactions: Slayerstwin
No I haven't, but it has occurred to me that the situation might arise, either by my having an instinctive feel, as you did, that they could be trusted, OR, perhaps trickier, that I would want to refuse them while I'm in a very vulnerable situation. I could hit RTH, without telling them, and pay more attention (covertly) to the strangers while they are watching the aircraft, then land and take it into safer custody, away from battery expiry.

Today I was spotted by the local junior school children when they were in their playground. (Well over 100 metres away, while I was limited to my Beginners 30 metres). I could hear the noise level, and see them clustered at the gates, but that was as close as it's got, and I'm content with that.

Good for you in having the 'courage of your convictions'.

Flying near playgrounds? You may end up with more than just courage of your convictions....

It was men with puppies I was told to avoid when I was wee.

I didn't do it yet, but I plan to let my friends fly. First in beginner mode and in an open environment etc. But as I have the DJI care refresh I am confident that even if they would crash it completely I could get a new aircraft for $100.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost