DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have You Flown Southern Caribbean Grand Cayman - Aruba - Curacao

Ray&Paula

Reactions
My wife and I are taking our 4th Royal Caribbean cruise next March and would like to take our Mavic Air for a few shots. As a recreational flyer, this is something we've always wanted to do but, never done before. We're going to the following ports/towns and would like to know if anyone here has flown near or not far from port. If so, any information in regards to certain spots and/or something we need to know such as the good/bad would be more than awesome. We're currently reaching out for proper registrations. Thank's, Ray & Paula

George Town, Grand Cayman
Oranjestad, Aruba
Willemstad, Curacao

Last edited:
I haven't flown a drone there, but on Grand Cayman there is Seven Mile Beach. There is a town called "Hell," and there is a spot where rays are fed. The water is shallow where the rays are on or near the surface. There are videos of it, but I haven't seen anyone get as close as a drone could get. It is a crying shame that you don't have an underwater drone; there are some great basket sponges and other phenomena there. Also, eat some Conk while you're there.

I hope you have a fantastic trip.

Reactions: Ray&Paula
I haven't flown a drone there, but on Grand Cayman there is Seven Mile Beach. There is a town called "Hell," and there is a spot where rays are fed. The water is shallow where the rays are on or near the surface. There are videos of it, but I haven't seen anyone get as close as a drone could get. It is a crying shame that you don't have an underwater drone; there are some great basket sponges and other phenomena there. Also, eat some Conk while you're there.

I hope you have a fantastic trip.
Thanks for the great info.! All sounds very interesting..... I'll have to check out those area's. I do know that beaches are off limits do to the amount of people on them. You're right, it's a crying shame that I don't have a underwater drone. That would be awesome.... Thanks for chiming in, appreciate it. Ray ??

We own time shares in Cayman and Aruba. In Cayman, The ship is gonna drop you right in the busiest part of the island, nowhere to fly there unless you rent a car or a tour into the island away from Georgetown. Hell is nothing more than a post office and souvenir store. If you have the time, then a tour to Rum Point on the other end of the island, you can do some beautiful flying. I have seen many drones there before. The stingray city, which I think is what another poster mentioned here before, you need a boat to do this. It is a couple of miles off Rum Point. Aruba, again the ship will drop you right in the middle of town. If you take a tour or rent a car, then go to the lighthouse. Not far, maybe 20 minutes driving depending on traffic. It is a local famous tourist attraction, so lots of tours that way. Beautiful beaches and restaurant and souvenir shops there. You can't get lost, lol, only one road there and back. I will warn you, my wife calls Aruba the bad hair day vacation. You are close to the equator, and it is typically very windy. Probably a good thing, otherwise the heat would be unbearable. Enjoy your trip.

We own time shares in Cayman and Aruba. In Cayman, The ship is gonna drop you right in the busiest part of the island, nowhere to fly there unless you rent a car or a tour into the island away from Georgetown. Hell is nothing more than a post office and souvenir store. If you have the time, then a tour to Rum Point on the other end of the island, you can do some beautiful flying. I have seen many drones there before. The stingray city, which I think is what another poster mentioned here before, you need a boat to do this. It is a couple of miles off Rum Point. Aruba, again the ship will drop you right in the middle of town. If you take a tour or rent a car, then go to the lighthouse. Not far, maybe 20 minutes driving depending on traffic. It is a local famous tourist attraction, so lots of tours that way. Beautiful beaches and restaurant and souvenir shops there. You can't get lost, lol, only one road there and back. I will warn you, my wife calls Aruba the bad hair day vacation. You are close to the equator, and it is typically very windy. Probably a good thing, otherwise the heat would be unbearable. Enjoy your trip.
Thanks for the great information! I'll have to check the tours to the light house in Aruba. That sounds like it would be awesome to fly in that area. As for Georgetown and Willemstad, I'll look at the tours there as well. I would like to get some shots over the water looking at the cruise ship as well as the coast line if possible. Finding a take off point sounds like it would be difficult. Shots like that would keep me from being over people and/or crowds. Really looking forward to the trip. Thanks again, appreciate your input. Ray ??

Just received my stamped CCAA registration and BTP paperwork for Curacao!! ??

Last edited:
Check out some of the cruise YouTube channels, specifically Griff & Alyssa. He has flown his drone in many ports of call while cruising. Should give you some ideas of the shots you can get. Don't expect to get any information on flying within rules and regulations here though. I doubt they have obtained any proper paperwork to fly in any of the locations they go to. Good for you for getting the proper paperwork in order prior to flying.

Last edited:
Check out some of the cruise YouTube channels, specifically Griff & Alyssa. He has flown his drone in many ports of call while cruising. Should give you some ideas of the shots you can get. Don't expect to get any information on flying within rules and regulations here though. I doubt they have obtained any proper paperwork to fly in any of the locations they go to. Good for you for getting the proper paperwork in order prior to flying.
Thanks for the heads up on Griff & Alyssa.... I will definatily check them out. As for paperwork, I wouldn't even try flying without it. I received all my paperwork for Curacao within two days. I have read about others that waited for several weeks in older threads/posts. Either I got lucky and/or they're excited about having cruiser's, etc. coming in after a year and a half. I'm going to start my research for paperwork/registrations for Aruba tomorrow. Thank You for commending me on getting the proper paperwork....... No worries by doing the right thing. Thanks again for your input. Ray ?? Happy Flying!

I went ahead and asked for recreational registration papers for Oranjestad, Aruba this morning with the DCAA. After visiting UAVcoach the biggest hang up I see under the General Rules for Flying is;
  • A local mobile telephone number (international number will not be accepted) where the operator can be reached during the operations by the Control Tower;
Not sure how to get around this..... ?
Second thing is you must have permission to fly over 200'...... but for me, that's fine due to mainly wanting over water shorline shots.

Also, anyone know of any "Good" No Fly Zones for Aruba & Curacao showing better detail? The one below for Curacao is extremely vague.

Curacao No Fly Zone Map.jpg

It looks like you will be able to fly along most of the west coast where much of the beautiful scenery is. Along the harbor in Wiliamstead will also be great where all the colorful buildings are and the swing bridge.

It looks like you will be able to fly along most of the west coast where much of the beautiful scenery is. Along the harbor in Wiliamstead will also be great where all the colorful buildings are and the swing bridge.
Thanks for the heads up..... I took a look and saw a few drone shots there in town over the water. Lot's of nice scenery and very colorful buildings for sure. Thanks for your input, appreciate it. Ray

Thanks for the heads up..... I took a look and saw a few drone shots there in town over the water. Lot's of nice scenery and very colorful buildings for sure. Thanks for your input, appreciate it. Ray
The western side of Aruba is nothing like the placid eastern side. You'll need a dune buggy to explore. We took a tour with 5 other dune buggy's. We wanted to sit back and enjoy scenery but the tour leader pleaded they needed someone who can drive standard shift. * Glad I gave in and became driver because wife and I in front were protected by windshield. Everyone in back got inundated with sand.

* At the time ì was a 60 something. Before volunteering, we listened to the young bucks bragging how they were experienced manual shifters, some with racing experience. I decided to be last vehicle in the line. On the flat staightaways I was always far behind. Everytime we came to dune, the others were either stalled out or mired in the sand. At the midway rest stop the other drivers were calling me affectionately the Turtle.

The western side of Aruba is nothing like the placid eastern side. You'll need a dune buggy to explore. We took a tour with 5 other dune buggy's. We wanted to sit back and enjoy scenery but the tour leader pleaded they needed someone who can drive standard shift. * Glad I gave in and became driver because wife and I in front were protected by windshield. Everyone in back got inundated with sand.

* At the time ì was a 60 something. Before volunteering, we listened to the young bucks bragging how they were experienced manual shifters, some with racing experience. I decided to be last vehicle in the line. On the flat staightaways I was always far behind. Everytime we came to dune, the others were either stalled out or mired in the sand. At the midway rest stop the other drivers were calling me affectionately the Turtle.
Thanks for the great info. Going to rent a Jeep Wrangler with air for the day.... Still trying to figure out what to do about having an Aruba local cell number for the day...... due to DCAA (Department of Civil Aviation Aruba) regulations. ?

Going to rent a Jeep Wrangler with air for the day....
When approaching dunes, try gathering speed. If starting to struggle, try turning steering slightly to decrease angle of attack. As for dedicated mobile, I usually don't advocate/violate laws. This rule is over the top and if enforced at all is probably in populated areas. The eastern shore is so remote and less traveled I wouldn't bother.

When approaching dunes, try gathering speed. If starting to struggle, try turning steering slightly to decrease angle of attack. As for dedicated mobile, I usually don't advocate/violate laws. This rule is over the top and if enforced at all is probably in populated areas. The eastern shore is so remote and less traveled I wouldn't bother.
Basically, the two reasons for renting a hardtop Jeep is to get around the island and drone flying. An excursion would have costs close to the same and were not going to follow around a crowd. This way we can take our time and do whatever. Plus, driving is on the right side like here in the US in both Aruba and Curacao. Thanks for your input. ??

Basically, the two reasons for renting a hardtop Jeep is to get around the island and drone flying. An excursion would have costs close to the same and were not going to follow around a crowd. This way we can take our time and do whatever. Plus, driving is on the right side like here in the US in both Aruba and Curacao. Thanks for your input. ??
Good strategy. The next time I visit will do same as I know what to expect. There was a natural stone bridge near the end of the dunes when I was there. It has since collapsed. Please post photo of this.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929